Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Pandersen33

Default Cable shifter

Does anyone know where to get the cable style shifter for a Mitchell OD unit? I currently have the extra stick shifter but it takes up too much space for me.
Pandersen33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Cable shifter

How could you shift in and out with a cable? Cable could not push back it can only pull. You would need all kinds of bell cranks and monkey motions to do it. Why not just bend the handle?
Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
How could you shift in and out with a cable? Cable could not push back it can only pull. You would need all kinds of bell cranks and monkey motions to do it. Why not just bend the handle?
There sure is a cable shifter for the Mitchell O/D. Here is an older thread on using the cable shifter. There may be other threads also.https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16377
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
Jim Brierley

Heavy duty cables such as used on truck PTO's will push as well as pull. I converted my Colombia rear end to cable, and it has worked well since the early 1960's.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Why not contact Mitchell?? They offer both the cable and the stick I believe.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
Benson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandersen33 View Post
Does anyone know where to get the cable style shifter for a Mitchell OD unit? I currently have the extra stick shifter but it takes up too much space for me.
To answer question ... Mitchell Manufacturing sells the cables.

http://mitchelloverdrivemfg.com/
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:42 PM   #7
Synchro909

About 12 months ago, I had the opportunity to buy a cable shift that someone else didn't want. I grabbed it and loved it so much I decided to get another. I too didn't like the extra lever on the floor. The cost to buy one from Mitchell and freight it here was waaaay too much so I made enquiries here. By pure dumb luck, I went to the Australian branch of the same company as Mitchell use. I had to make the lever mechanism for the front of the O/D and the mount for the gear stick but it is in and working fine. I spoke with the Mitchells personally at the Reno convention and related the coincidence to them. They were amazed at the price I got for the cable. Maybe they will get them done here in the future (so long as tarrifs are not imposed).
Old 08-16-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
Slowplane

I'd check with an aircraft supply company (Aircraft Spruce comes to mind). Push/Pull cables are used in numerous aircraft.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
katy

Will a '49-'59 Ford cable work?
http://shoebox-central.com/1949-1950...selector-cable
Old 08-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #10
redmodelt

Awesome! Great information. I was thinking about a home made setup, now eating crow! Would the unit would have to be pulled to install the rocker arm post? I have helped install 2 and do not recall if there is a drilled, tapped, plugged hole in the location the post goes into. Would be great if it is there already.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #11
daveymc29

I have the cable shifter and love it. It is just like on the 18 wheelers and gets rid of the extra lever on the floor. I bought it from Mitchell, very high quality cable and housing, Like all cables it will also push the little bit needed to shift these things. I have a hood latch cable hooked up to my B/W overdrive and it shifts it too easily, often sliding out of regular drive into the freewheeling mode. I will eventually buy a stiffer pulling cable. All the B/W's I had operated of at least one push pull cable, some had two with no electric connection.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
daveymc29

I installed mine in a matter of minutes. Mitchell's makes a connecting device that comes with their cable. It is all high quality and has given me no problems in the couple of years it has been on my roadster. No two handed and one foot shifting also.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #13
redmodelt

That still does not answer the question, is there a hole to mount the rocker arm post on the front of the case? Or how about a photo of front and back that shows how it is installed on to the case. Looking at Mitchell's pages I do not see the cable kit or cost or anything about it, or it's not showing on my computer.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:48 PM   #14
daveymc29

Redmodelt, Cost seemed around $100+. Has two clamps on the shift lever end that secure the cable to the lever. The other end of mine is screwed into a fitting that takes the place of the old shift lever connection to the Mitchell O/D box. Remove the lever and shafts, unscrew the connector from the shift rod coming out of the Mitchell box, Screw in the new connector and you now can thread the cable from the transmission shift lever, threw the floor and back to that connector. It hooks up with a cleave pin as I recall, with a cotter pin threw it. I feel confident that if you ask Sue Mitchell she could email you a picture and all the instructions as well as the current price. I bought mine a bit over two years ago and all this is from memory of an 82 year old mind that has been used sparingly in the last several years, so your results may vary from mine. Send me your email address in a PM and I'll send you pictures of both ends of the cable. I cannot post them on here, but if you wish to an know how you are welcome to do so. I mounted mine on the shifter of the tranny because it was made to do that and I'm used to shifting big rigs that way but I'm sure you could mount it up to the steering column and with a bracket and get back to two handed shifting if that is more familiar to you. It may look better to you as a cable mounted to the tranny shifter with two large aluminum bracket, though very sturdy, does appear a bit odd on a Model A. (As does any overdrive shifting mechanism. If that appearance is a problem buy the Volvo unit and hide the switch. I'm confident with todays technology you could get a controller for it that you could talk to when you want it to shift and/or hide it in your pocket.)
Old 08-17-2018, 10:54 PM   #15
redmodelt

I am asking from the stand point of we install them in customers cars and this is a new to me at least. I will give Sue a call next week. It would be good to have this info for our customers that might be in need of this set up.

Thanks
Mark
Old 08-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #16
Safari bob

I have a cable shifter on my '31 slant window. I added the overdrive to my F150 4 speed transmission because of the gap between second and third. I would go up a good hill in second gear at max 25 mpg because the car would slow too much during the shift to third and would bog down. I use the Mitchell low gear with the second gear in the F150 transmission. I can now go up hills at 35 MPH. A good pull on the shifter handle puts the overdrive in low gear and good push returns it to the high gear. The shifter is attached to regular gear lever.

The cable shifter was necessary because the standard shifter is designed to attach to the Model A transmission.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to do it again, I would use both the Mitchell transmission and the Mitchell Overdrive.
Safari bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #17
Synchro909

I have a cable shifter on my '31 slant window. I added the overdrive to my F150 4 speed transmission because of the gap between second and third. I would go up a good hill in second gear at max 25 mpg because the car would slow too much during the shift to third and would bog down. I use the Mitchell low gear with the second gear in the F150 transmission. I can now go up hills at 35 MPH. A good pull on the shifter handle puts the overdrive in low gear and good push returns it to the high gear. Mine works the oiopposite way around!!The shifter is attached to regular gear lever.

The cable shifter was necessary because the standard shifter is designed to attach to the Model A transmission.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to do it again, I would use both the Mitchell transmission and the Mitchell Overdrive.I have that setup on my tourer. Excellent. Especially when I'm towing, high second is a very handy ratio. I have learned to move both levers together to go from high second to standard top. That is the ONLY reason I haven't put a cable shift on it too.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 AM   #18
Brendan

i like my lever, i split second gear. i can shift the Mitchel and the trans at the same time

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote