Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
CJStefan

Default Bumpsteer

So let me ask you guys this...

Flipping the factory uprights on a '49 custom and NOT dropping the steering arms. How much actual bumpsteer does it induce? A yank, a jerk, a lane change...what?
I've read a thousand times that it's there but nobody ever says how bad it is. Is anybody here able to give a first hand response as opposed to just what has been read on the site? Castor and camber and toe in are dead on so that won't be a factor.

Last edited by CJStefan; 12-23-2023 at 06:10 PM.
CJStefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:41 PM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Bumpsteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJStefan View Post
So let me ask you guys this...

Flipping the factory uprights and NOT dropping the steering arms. How much actual bumpsteer does it induce? A yank, a jerk, a lane change...what?
I've read a thousand times that it's there but nobody ever says how bad it is. Also assume Castor and camber and toe in are dead on so they won't be a factor.

Can you give us an idea of exactly what kind of vehicle you're working with and what exactly are the "UPRIGHTS" you speak of?

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:04 PM   #3
itslow

I assuming by "uprights" you mean the steering knuckles/spindles. You will really goof up the camber. The kingpin axis is not perpendicular to the spindle axis.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:23 PM   #4
Ggmac

Just a guess, a 49-51ford ?
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Can you give us an idea of exactly what kind of vehicle you're working with and what exactly are the "UPRIGHTS" you speak of?

Coop

Sorry it's a '49 custom.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #6
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
I assuming by "uprights" you mean the steering knuckles/spindles. You will really goof up the camber. The kingpin axis is not perpendicular to the spindle axis.
Remember in the original post I said camber is dead on.

Last edited by CJStefan; 12-23-2023 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 04:30 PM   #7
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggmac View Post
Just a guess, a 49-51ford ?
Correct it's a '49
Old 12-23-2023, 06:11 PM   #8
wga

From my experience you will need more camber than the stock setting. The stock camber adjustment is limited. Shoebox Central has a product that attaches to the frame and the upper A arm. It will allow more camber.

https://shoebox-central.com/4953camk...adjustment-kit

I have a 49 Custom - these are the station wagons, so I guess that is what you have as well. Bump steer was a problem from the beginning 'it has its own part number'.
There was a steering improvement that used a AMC Matador idler arm and that I have installed. It has helped. The newer version from Chris at Shoebox Central uses a Corvette idler arm.

https://shoebox-central.com/1949-195...pgrade-kit-new

Rebuilding the steering box helps some.
I've noted previously that I did a stock overhaul of the front suspension and steering,
added Bilstein shocks (huge improvement). After doing all that work, I now would scrap the stock front end and install a modern IFS + R&P steering.

If you have the station wagon - how are your doors closing? If you have a problem,
PM me.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:18 PM   #9
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
From my experience you will need more camber than the stock setting. The stock camber adjustment is limited. Shoebox Central has a product that attaches to the frame and the upper A arm. It will allow more camber.

https://shoebox-central.com/4953camk...adjustment-kit

I have a 49 Custom - these are the station wagons, so I guess that is what you have as well. Bump steer was a problem from the beginning 'it has its own part number'.
There was a steering improvement that used a AMC Matador idler arm and that I have installed. It has helped.

https://shoebox-central.com/1949-195...pgrade-kit-new

Rebuilding the steering box helps some.
I've noted previously that I did a stock overhaul of the front suspension and steering,
added Bilstein shocks (huge improvement). After doing all that work, I now would scrap the stock front end and install a modern IFS + R&P steering.

If you have the station wagon - how are your doors closing? If you have a problem,
PM me.
Mine is a club coupe but I don't think it would matter either way to tell you the truth. I have the camber correcting kit installed already so I'm covered there. What I'm hoping to get is someone who's flipped the uprights, not dropped the steering arms and driven for any length of time to be able to tell me exactly how it went. I can't imagine everybody has (or wants to spend) $900 to drop on the Fatman uprights or an OXY acetylene torch (such as in my case) to be able to heat and bend the steering arms. 90% of the roads we all drive on are nice and smooth so I'm wondering how bad the bumpsteer actually is. I've read 100 different post between here and Facebook that say the arms HAVE to be dropped or you'll get a bumpsteer but how many of those are people just repeating what they've read or heard as opposed to firsthand knowledge
Old 12-24-2023, 04:41 PM   #10
Krylon32

I know they're pricey but how about Fatman's dropped uprights and steering arms?
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 04:57 PM   #11
Shoebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
I know they're pricey but how about Fatman's dropped uprights and steering arms?

I believe CJ has had this experience with Fatman uprights as have I. Fitment is terrible, I have a set and as I have mentioned in a past post the kingpins don't come close to fitting the bushings. You can pass a kingpin through any bushing, top or bottom and it doesn't line up with it's other bushing. I called Fatman on this and was told "..they're not designed for the pins to slide in, you must hammer in and after turning the spindles some the bushings will cold form". I will not be installing, just went with the Aero Star springs which look good.

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 06:50 PM   #12
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
I believe CJ has had this experience with Fatman uprights as have I. Fitment is terrible, I have a set and as I have mentioned in a past post the kingpins don't come close to fitting the bushings. You can pass a kingpin through any bushing, top or bottom and it doesn't line up with it's other bushing. I called Fatman on this and was told "..they're not designed for the pins to slide in, you must hammer in and after turning the spindles some the bushings will cold form". I will not be installing, just went with the Aero Star springs which look good.
Yep I sure have. I had a pair, pulled them off and flipped the originals which is what got me to post this question. I think I'm just going to run it and see how it goes. Now if I could find a used pair of the Fatmans that were older for a good price I'd be willing to try them but I don't see that happening anytime soon
Old 12-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #13
1948F-1Pickup

Fatman............. run.
I was in the aftermarket suspension industry as a General Manager once upon a time.
Their stuff is horrible. And downright scary on some items.
That's all you need to know about them.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:57 PM   #14
CJStefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Fatman............. run.
I was in the aftermarket suspension industry as a General Manager once upon a time.
Their stuff is horrible. And downright scary on some items.
That's all you need to know about them.
I'm just surprised they're the only ones that make them. It seems pretty straight forward for any company with machining capabilities and a welder