Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2024, 02:34 AM   #1
kiwi nz

Default 1950 Ford sedan seat too far forward

I have my 1950 Ford off getting checked for compliance to register for use on NZ roads. I was a bit naughty, I drove it there (supposed to go on a transporter)
It is the first time I have driven the car and I do not think I can continue driving the car sitting so close to the steering wheel and pedals.

I had the seat out when working under the dash and made sure I used the most rearward hole combination when I refitted the seat.
I am 6ft 185lb's and don't think that I should be too big for the car, when I put the seat back it stops with a metal to metal clang.
Is this how they are or have I missed something with the adjustment?

Thanks
Geoff Kiwi

Last edited by kiwi nz; 01-16-2024 at 03:56 AM.
kiwi nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:49 AM   #2
kiwi nz

Default Re: 1950 Ford sedan seat too far forward

Well there have been a few views but nobody seems to have an opinion on my dilemma.
I picked up the car today, it failed compliance on quite a few issues, I drove it home with the steering wheel in my stomach and my upper arms straight up and down at my sides.

I am sure that this can't be the way that they are supposed to be driven.

I have had a look at where the seat back comes to rest on the seat base, it looks as if there are pins, one each side that fit into holes in the seat base, they miss the holes by a considerable amount.

Am I correct in assuming that that is how it works and if it is how do I go about adjusting it to fit?

As it is the seat stops in a very verticle position, it seems that if the seat back pins fitted into the holes, in the cross tube that is under the carpet, the driving position would be much improved.

I am at a loss as to why a 4dr car has a tilting front seat back.

Any help as to where to start with making this car more drivable would be appreciated.

Thanks Geoff

Last edited by kiwi nz; 01-16-2024 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2024, 07:31 AM   #3
flatford8

Hi Geoff......I drive a ‘50 Fordor and I understand your issue with your seat. If you used the “most rearward holes in the track”, wouldn’t that set the seat forward? If you use the most forward holes in the track, that would put the seat more to the rear. I would take the seat back out and have a good look at the action of the track and adjusting mechanism. You may have to redrill the mounts to move your seat where you’re comfortable enough to enjoy your car. My seat goes back enough (I’m 5’-7”) but, the front is to high. I haven’t taken the time to address it yet.
Good luck!....I hope you’re able to remedy this.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:29 AM   #4
corvette8n

I owned my ‘50 Tudor sedan when I was 17 and had no problem with the seat 6’3” and around 175 pounds. A matter of fact I don’t even remember moving the seat at all, it could have been rusted in place, the floors had pieces of plywood covering the holes.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:41 AM   #5
wga

Kiwi -- There is a seat adjustment lever which will move the seat front to back. I cleaned the track and mechanism on mine, slid the seat back.
Then installed so that the front bolt holes are on the rear most holes in the floor. If I remember correctly, the front bolts, pass through rubber body mounts.
Driving a car designed and built 74 years ago is an adventure at times.
Old 01-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #6
cmbrucew

It sounds like you have the wrong seat in your car. As to tilt, try a 1/4 inch shim under the front two bolts to start, going to 3/8 if that helps. I would remove the seat, clean and lube everything that is supposed to move, and reinstall with a shim. I have owned two 50 cars and two 50 F1s, and from my high school days known they were not designed for a 6 foot man in mind.

Bruce
Old 01-16-2024, 12:46 PM   #7
TJ

You definitely have the wrong seat in your car Your car should have a solid one piece backrest.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 03:10 PM   #8
Don T

The backrest in my 50 4dr has pins on the door side of the seats, from what I remember they had a locked position with a piece of hardware. It dawned on me at the time that this seat was designed to be foldable forward as in a Tudor car with the proper piece of hardware. Henry was just trying to save some coin. If the seat tracks are not well lubed when trying to adjust back and forth they will bind and will not move very much.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:59 PM   #9
kiwi nz

Thanks flatford8, corvette8n, wga, cmbrucew,TJ and Don T I have the seat in the right holes to be as far back as i can and I have checked the tracks, they are far back as they can go and strike metal.

if I could figure out how to attach some photos I would show what I think is my problem.
The pins are striking the seat base about 2 inches above and forward of the holes that it seems that they are supposed to go in. This puts the seat in a very upright position with me crammed against the steering wheel.

I don't know if I should try bending the pins backwards, they may have been deliberately bent to allow a diminutive driver to reach the controls.
I never meet in person with the previous owner.

My father was 5ft 10 and drove a 1950 ford tudor for 245,000 miles, I can't remember him being hunched over the wheel.
I will have to think about how I approach this, I do not want to snap off the pins.

cheers Geoff
Old 01-16-2024, 11:31 PM   #10
Joe B.

I feel your pain. I'm only 6'1" 200#, but with the seat all the way back, my knee was on the shift lever and steering wheel in my belly. I know the average guy was shorter in '50 and I knew I needed to fix the seat travel to suit me. This was my first alteration to the car. Does your car have the 1" high hardwood block under the front mount? It's there for a reason (seat tilt). Anyway, I rounded up some angle, hickory, and bolts, and made up a modified mount that moves the seat mount back 4" (3" would have been plenty). Also helps a lot when crawling around under the dash. Here are a few pics. It's solid as a rock. Original seat and I used the original seat mounting holes that go through the floor into the frame. Hardwood piece in front and angle iron in back. Edit: I added a couple photos. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1290.jpg (101.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1283.jpg (43.7 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1287.jpg (103.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.jpg (56.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (91.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (77.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1286.jpg (37.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1289.jpg (126.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by Joe B.; 01-16-2024 at 11:45 PM.
Joe B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 12:26 AM   #11
kiwi nz

Wow!!, Joe B. thankyou so much, that is exactly what I need to know, it can be done.

I was worried that the what seems to be a raised area, behind the seat, would prohibit what you have done.

I really need to have a good look at it. The car is very original and I am sure that the seat came with the car.

I will make the car fit me.

Thanks
Geoff
Old 01-17-2024, 08:40 AM   #12
flatford8

Geoff, e-mail your pics to me and I’ll give it a [email protected].....
.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 01-17-2024, 03:27 PM   #13
kiwi nz

Thanks for the offer Mark, I ran into a problem though, I could not attach photos to the email. Sometimes technology is not my friend. Never mind I may be successful attaching photos to this post.... we will see.

If successful the first photo shows the angle of the pin, the second shows where the pin comes to rest when the seat back is fully back, the third shows how I have to sit to drive

Geoff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LH seat pin.jpg (90.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg LH side seat back.jpg (94.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg seat back upright.jpg (85.1 KB, 121 views)
Old 01-17-2024, 03:49 PM   #14
Don T

This is the correct seat for the car. I am guessing that when the new upholstery was done something was assembled wrong. I cannot remember how mine had to be assembled but it was not rocket science or I could not have done it. It is fixable, maybe loosen the pivot bolts that attach the backrest to the base and the pin will drop in place, then replace the pivot bolts? The way your backrest is sitting now is not right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_180422.jpg (78.5 KB, 116 views)
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:59 PM   #15
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi nz View Post
Thanks for the offer Mark, I ran into a problem though, I could not attach photos to the email. Sometimes technology is not my friend. Never mind I may be successful attaching photos to this post.... we will see.

If successful the first photo shows the angle of the pin, the second shows where the pin comes to rest when the seat back is fully back, the third shows how I have to sit to drive

Geoff

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:01 PM   #16
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
This is the correct seat for the car. I am guessing that when the new upholstery was done something was assembled wrong. I cannot remember how mine had to be assembled but it was not rocket science or I could not have done it. It is fixable, maybe loosen the pivot bolts that attach the backrest to the base and the pin will drop in place, then replace the pivot bolts? The way your backrest is sitting now is not right.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:02 PM   #17
flatford8

Success Geoff !!...........I can’t be much help on your seat issue. I’ve never seen a solid seat back tip forward like that. If you unbolt the seat back, set it on the seat base with the pins in place and then rebolt it, will it sit back at a little angle?
I had mine separated for upholstery years ago and I know it didn’t tip forward......Mark

Don T types faster than I do, but we have the same idea!!
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 01-17-2024, 04:11 PM   #18
kiwi nz

Thanks Don and Mark, that sounds like a plan, much better than starting to bend things. I imagine if I get the pin in the hole and then bolt it back together, the angle of the pin will hold it in place.
It will no longer be a tilting seat.
I will give it a try.

Thanks
Geoff
Old 01-17-2024, 05:47 PM   #19
kiwi nz

Okay, here I am again and thanks again, the plan worked.
It took about 5mins, I took the covers off (putting them back on again took another 5mins, those screw holes can be elusive) I removed the "pivot" bolts, popped the pins in the holes and bolted it back up tight.
It was clear that it was meant to be bolted up solid and never meant to pivot.
The driving position is back to normal, my backside can sit further back on the seat so now my legs are now in a natural position and of course my upper body is way back so my arms are extended at a normal angle as well.
Thanks to everyone for your help

Geoff
Old 01-17-2024, 08:53 PM   #20
flatford8

Good news !!.....and now that you’ve mastered posting pics.....let’s see some of your car!.....Mar
Billy Joe Shaver