Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2023, 06:31 AM   #1
john charlton

Default English 180A at Gilmour museum .

I watched with great interest Paul Shinns recent video on his visit to the museum . I was hoping he would include a look at the de luxe phaeton but he did not . From background glimpses I saw it seems the English fender fender lamps are gone and cowl lights fitted These were never fitted to English built cars they were not legal. When parked overnight the car must have lit "parking lamps" at front and rear so horses or bicycles or horses on bicycles dont bump into the car after dark . This law is long gone now .The phaeton is now a startling red colour would most likely been Ford Maroon when new . The wheels are overdressed and the wrong spare tyre cover, should be as page 554/277 in the Service bulletins reprint . English headlamps have no script on the top as they were single bulb reflectors so could have been removed as over restored . The same mold was used for the lenses so they say "TWOLITE HEADLAMP" but the glass is a deep violet like "T" lenses. It does seem a shame this English car has been well and truly "Americanised" but done with the best intensions no doubt .

John in windy autumn Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 09-26-2023 at 06:39 AM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:30 AM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: English 180A at Gilmour museum .

"Americanized"

Having been assembled by a committee from the local trailer park.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 07:59 AM   #3
Juggler

No script on the top of the headlight

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p5kS8N]

Stainless rivets

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2p5rX74]

Stainless latch

CF1696A6-B8D4-4BEC-A00B-24945FB387C5

Posted for Dear Old Dad above
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 08:16 AM   #4
john charlton

The Ford plant in England was well aware of the dreaded rust . The headlamp rivets are mild steel but are capped by a stainless button . the latch is all stainless with a stainless spring ,stalk with stainless spring retainer collar . This headlamp hopefully should still be on the Gilmour car but I doubt it .

John same place same weather .
Old 09-26-2023, 11:12 AM   #5
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
I watched with great interest Paul Shinns recent video on his visit to the museum . I was hoping he would include a look at the de luxe phaeton but he did not . From background glimpses I saw it seems the English fender fender lamps are gone and cowl lights fitted These were never fitted to English built cars they were not legal. When parked overnight the car must have lit "parking lamps" at front and rear so horses or bicycles or horses on bicycles dont bump into the car after dark . This law is long gone now .The phaeton is now a startling red colour would most likely been Ford Maroon when new . The wheels are overdressed and the wrong spare tyre cover, should be as page 554/277 in the Service bulletins reprint . English headlamps have no script on the top as they were single bulb reflectors so could have been removed as over restored . The same mold was used for the lenses so they say "TWOLITE HEADLAMP" but the glass is a deep violet like "T" lenses. It does seem a shame this English car has been well and truly "Americanised" but done with the best intensions no doubt .

John in windy autumn Suffolk County England .
That car was featured in a segment in last year's MAFFI Museum video. Tried to talk about different cars this year than last year since they were already covered.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 11:55 AM   #6
Brad in Germany

Yeah, I had looked at that RHD Phaeton in The Gilmore as well and was kinda skeptical about its true origins. The missing wing lamps are obvious.

Thanks for pointing out some of the smaller British details about the headlights. I'll be heading out to my garage shortly to check my '31 British AF.....

Brad in Maryland

Last edited by Brad in Germany; 09-26-2023 at 09:50 PM.
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:35 PM   #7
johnbuckley

Is this the car we're talking about? reg GT 6474. If so, members of the Model A Ford Club of Great Britain have unearthed a great deal of history of it. Further recent excellent research by Diana and John Barrett ,through the births deaths and marriage registers, has also unearthed loads of info of the original owner and his family. We have copy of a road test of it from Old Motor magazine 1964 when it was still in England. Photos taken show it neither cowl lights nor fender lights at that time ! ( PM me if anyone wants copy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GT 6474.jpg (113.0 KB, 43 views)
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 12:49 PM   #8
john charlton

Thank you Paul , I did see the 2022 video but somehow missed that segment,got distracted I guess . 9 out of 10 English cars had the AF 14.9 HP 3" bore engine to escape punitive "Road Tax" It would be interesting to see the serial number if it has the AF prefix .I would expect that car now has a 24 HP motor in it now . They should have changed the 4.55 rear end for 3.78 or it wont go any quicker for sure !!!

John in same place same weather .
Old 09-26-2023, 01:52 PM   #9
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
That car was featured in a segment in last year's MAFFI Museum video. Tried to talk about different cars this year than last year since they were already covered.
Is there a link to this video? I would like to see the car in question.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:11 PM   #10
P.S.

All the videos ever published are still on YouTube.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 06:57 AM   #11
john charlton

Hi Brad , the English stainless differences are only on late 1931 English production . As well as headlamps all stainless rad and gas caps, stainless hub caps on AA trucks .The front hood centre rod retainer on the rad shell is stainless but I think I have seen this on USA hoods .

John in weather was cancelled today .