Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #1
Ray P

Default Autolite

I recently obtained a nice Autolite heater I am considering installing on my 30 coupe. It has an intake manifold attached but it does not have a port for a vacuum line. I have been told that a stock Ford intake manifold will not fit the Autolite exhaust manifold which requires a special intake that's unique to the Autolite. Is that true? It looks like a normal intake to me. It would be nice to just switch out the intake with one that has the vacuum port. I am nervous about attempting to remove the 85 year old bolts attaching the intake manifold and I sure don't want to if another manifold wouldn't even fit. Would there be a way to install a vacuum line fitting on the existing intake? It does not have a boss or raised area for a fitting.
Ray P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Autolite

I haven't heard of any special intake to be used. I would try switching manifolds. It would be a shame to drill into a good original manifold that someone restoring a 1928 could use. I'd heat and cool the two manifold bolts and also use Kroil and let them soak. Even if they break, I've had good luck with the welded washer and nut removal.

You should see the bolt pockets through the exhaust ports, and you can use the torch to heat the pockets red hot when you try to remove the bolts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
jax55

I have not done this, so I hope if it is impossible someone will say so.
That being said, I would think the manifold should be able to be drilled and tapped for a vacuum line. I would use teflon tape or something to avoid a vacuum leak.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
SteveB31

All stock intake manifolds will work with and Autolite Heater manifold, however, you may need to have it machined after you install the intake on the exhaust. Most intakes and most exhaust manifolds have been machined a few times over the years, and all 6 ports must be flat where they meet the block.
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

Ditto to what Tom says. This is the first I have ever heard of a special manifold. These manifolds were produced as an aftermarket item and they were made to be easy to install. I have two of them, 1 on my coupe and 1 on my T S. It's a nice addition in cold weather.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote