Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-17-2020, 04:06 PM   #41
Kube

Default Re: possible interest in another new restoration project? '40 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghair3 View Post
Great Picture's. Just curious, did you weld the frame to the actual body of the car? An inquiring mind wants to know. You certainly couldn't have had any movement with that structure.
It's bolted in and no, zero movement
Old 12-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #42
tubman

Default Re: possible interest in another new restoration project? '40 convertible

I'm in to. I love your stuff, even though it does give me an inferiority complex.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #43
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I'm in to. I love your stuff, even though it does give me an inferiority complex.
Funny man
Old 12-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #44
40ford

Count me in Kube.I will bring you my 40 and you can put it on the list for next!
40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #45
oldskool

looking forward to the resto my cousin had a 40 convert deluxe in 1953 had it painted maroon with a 48 merc engine loved riding in that car
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #46
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
looking forward to the resto my cousin had a 40 convert deluxe in 1953 had it painted maroon with a 48 merc engine loved riding in that car
That's interesting! I've heard guys talking about their " '48 Merc" engine in a hot rod since the '60s. Can anyone tell me the difference between a 1948 FORD and a 1948 Mercury engine? POPCORN's cookin'! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:21 PM   #47
Mart

^^ There's no difference, but it's a bigger motor than the 40 motor, so maybe that's the point.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #48
bobH

As Mart said....
DD, I'm sure you know... 59A (46-48) breaks down to "5" for the year it was released for production (1945), and to "9", meaning a Merc part number. So... what Mart said. And, I know you already know all this useless info. Grin
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #49
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobH View Post
As Mart said....
DD, I'm sure you know... 59A (46-48) breaks down to "5" for the year it was released for production (1945), and to "9", meaning a Merc part number. So... what Mart said. And, I know you already know all this useless info. Grin
Hey bobH and Mart.....Yeah guys, I do KNOW! That's why I stuck the popcorn in the post. Yet, my point was to bring attention to the past 70 years or so of guys finding the need to embellish their ride's status by making note that their engine was a '48 Merc, like the Merc (in the case of THIS time period) was somehow superior to a '46, '47 or '48 FORD engine. It would be difficult to find more than a mere handful of flathead-powered hot rods or customs in the MANY magazines published in the '50s and early '60s that weren't "equipped" with the requisite '48 Merc mill! Thinking further about it, there must have been one hell of a lot of worthless, engineless 1948 Mercury carcasses sitting around in fields and junkyards. Thanks, you's two! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #50
1stford

I really enjoy following these. Great learning for me so appreciate you sharing.

Now where are all the pictures!??
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:33 PM   #51
Ol' Ron

Absolutely nothing.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #52
deuce5wndw

Count me in!!!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:10 AM   #53
PeterC

"very tasteful build. NO modern poopy and NO billet. Just subtle little things that a guy will have t look twice, three times to notice"

Yup - I think I know what you mean ... I have some experience there!

Looking forward to this build!

Peter
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 01:31 PM   #54
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
"very tasteful build. NO modern poopy and NO billet. Just subtle little things that a guy will have t look twice, three times to notice"

Yup - I think I know what you mean ... I have some experience there!

Peter
Man, if ever there was a guy that can speak FIRST-HAND to "very tasteful build", or "subtle little things that a guy will have to look twice, three times to notice", it would be "Peter C" humbly referencing his unprecedented '35 Ford 3-window. This car truly has subtle touches and minute details throughout the package that have been so tastefully planned and executed, that only the true connoisseurs that understand the legendary world of old Ford "Holy Grail" can begin to appreciate. There is, however, one slight departure from "subtle" in this car, and that is in the engine room. What a magnificent package! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #55
Kube

This one is going to seemingly go slow. Whoever did the old work that was beneath the flat black primer did not own a measuring device of any sort.
Thus, this one is going to require "bouncing around" a bit to get all the pieces to fit well together.

I now have the floor completely removed from the body. I drill out the factory spot welds and use the exact holes upon reassembly.
This one is odd in that there were more spot welds on one side than I'd ever witnessed on any '39 or '40 I've restored.
Makes me think a "Monday" car

I will replace the rear pan. It's on there still to provide a little rigidity needed for the time being.
There was literally 3/4" of bondo over the rear pan. I have no idea why as the pan is actually quite solid.
There was in fact a gross amount of bondo over the entire car. If I didn't know better, I'd bet this was a Boyd Coddington car at one time. He was known for the HUGE amounts of putty applied with a trowel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060430.JPG (153.5 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg P1060434.JPG (151.5 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg P1060435.JPG (156.5 KB, 115 views)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:49 PM   #56
Zeke3

Maybe, it was a shift or operator change and that side got welded twice.

Kube, two questions, do you plan to repair the existing floor and reinstall it?

What is you preferred tool to drill out the spot welds? I tried one of the HF spot weld tools and it is not all that great. It needs more than a center punch mark to keep it from wandering around.

Thanks,
Zeke
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #57
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke3 View Post
Maybe, it was a shift or operator change and that side got welded twice.

Kube, two questions, do you plan to repair the existing floor and reinstall it?

What is you preferred tool to drill out the spot welds? I tried one of the HF spot weld tools and it is not all that great. It needs more than a center punch mark to keep it from wandering around.

Thanks,
Zeke
Hi ya Zeke,
Someone had installed a floor pan from a sedan in to this car, so yes, it will be completely replaced. I have it fairly close now but won't do any more than tack it until I have the doors fit.
I use spot weld cutters from SnapOn. I'm not a huge SnapOn fan as I believe they are over priced for the most part. However, their cutters have proven to me anyway, to be worth the cost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060431.JPG (139.5 KB, 83 views)
Old 12-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #58
cobramike

Mike. Coincidental that you're doing a 40 convert. I love 40s and have a restored coupe and pickup besides my convertible. Mine is in about the same state of restoration as yours. I've been waiting for the 40 book to come out, so I can proceed. In the meantime any info you post here will be greatly appreciated. I have some extra parts, and may need a few conv. only parts, so please keep in touch....mike
cobramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #59
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramike View Post
Mike. Coincidental that you're doing a 40 convert. I love 40s and have a restored coupe and pickup besides my convertible. Mine is in about the same state of restoration as yours. I've been waiting for the 40 book to come out, so I can proceed. In the meantime any info you post here will be greatly appreciated. I have some extra parts, and may need a few conv. only parts, so please keep in touch....mike
God evening Mike,
This is my forth '40 convertible so i have a pretty good idea what needs to be done. Unfortunately this one has been bastardized by someone in the past. I'll figure it out and in the process lose a few more hairs.

Oh, the book should be available in late January. That's what I hear...
Old 12-29-2020, 03:06 PM   #60
cobramike

Mike...if you get a chance, send a phone number or email that I can send pics of my 40 convert. [email protected] or 505 730 0963
cobramike is offline   Reply With Quote