Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
Garwood

Default Greetings all - I'm a new owner

Hello all, I've been thinking about getting a '30 or '31 truck (liked the cab style better than '28 - '29) and after searching high and low I found one, albeit 1,264 miles away. So a 2 day trip down and 3 days back I was able to bring her home. Say hello to Maggie. She's yellow and doesn't talk. Simpson fans will understand. Hope the picture shows up

Older restoration so it's good and solid and all the parts are their and correct. I plan on doing a frame off restoration in about 5 years after I can find a house with a bigger garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930-Ford-Model A - 1.jpg (127.2 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by Garwood; 10-09-2020 at 01:57 PM. Reason: wanted to add picture
Garwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: Greetings all - I'm a new owner

Looks nice.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

Sets off the driveway. Road tested too.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #4
Garwood

When I get to the part of restoring her, I think the hardest part will be picking out the color.

I love blue but have seen some really nice pictures of maroon but maybe cream yellow will look best?

Can't wait for next spring when the car shows and meet ups start again.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
jimalabam

Welcome aboard...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Garwood

Hi jimalabam,

Your truck looks nice. Can you pm me? I'd like to know more about yours and what color it is.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
Garwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Sets off the driveway. Road tested too.

I didn't drive her home, I rented a Uhaul trailer. Unfortunately with all the bouncing it did through 5 states, it stirred up the tank pretty good and she wouldn't start when I got home. I've been spending the last week taking apart the gas lines, carb and flushing out the tank. I'm adding the pencil filter, sediment bowl and inline filters and replacing all the gaskets in the carb. It didn't have one between the carb and manifold.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:42 PM   #8
Chris in WNC

Dark green or dark blue with black wheels and blackwall tires will make it look like a real truck......
Old 10-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #9
Garwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris in WNC View Post
Dark green or dark blue with black wheels and blackwall tires will make it look like a real truck......

I really like the way this one looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930-ford-model-a-pickup.jpg (58.5 KB, 121 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #10
daveymc29

The Model A's that I have had, over the years, didn't care much for gas filters. I use the pencil filter in the tank and all standard from there on. Got stranded once where I had to have a tow home by an inline that didn't allow gas threw after several months on the car. I undid the line at the carburetor and nary a drop came threw. The car following me was a flat tow rig and I asked how much to home. His base was a couple of blocks from my house and he did it real cheap. I took the filter off and have run without any problems for many thousands of miles since, Worked for me, your results may vary.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #11
john charlton

Wellcom to the "Barn" lots of nice people on here (including me !!!) Good to see your truck has kept the black commercial rad shell and headlamp buckets .I have the same truck mine is all black with black wheels and blackwalls . I think it looks real good . I think pickups look better in dark colours green or black with black wheels .Just my opinion of course .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
Big hammer

Congrats! It looks fine just the way it is, it would look great in a Halloween parade ! Maybe some black lettering on the doors would tone down the paint. Enjoy!
Old 10-09-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
Jim/GA

Welcome to a really fun hobby!

You will find lots of help here. Plus try to search the site, but good luck... the search is not that great. So just ask.

Please add a location (approximate) to your profile. You'd be amazed at how many of us are not too far away from you.

Above all, have fun! That's what it's all about!

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:04 PM   #14
Mulletwagon

Welcome to the world of the Model A. Hope there is a club near by you can join and enjoy stories with like-minded folks. You will find that your Model A truly is a time machine. When you drive it around town perfect strangers will enthusiastically wave to you. Be sure to reward them with a very satisfying AH-OOGA !! All the Best.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:07 PM   #15
KGBnut

Nice looking truck. I recognize that it is not a traditional color, but I like it. You may find that it grows on you. It is your truck, make it what you want and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

One piece of advice I give new owners... avoid the temptation to "improve" things by modernizing them, especially early on. I wasted a lot of money when I was a new owner. Get to know your truck in its most original form as much as possible. You may make changes later, but with more experience behind you. Oh, and original parts are usually better than repops.

This forum is a great place for advice or just bouncing ideas around.

Enjoy it,

Ken
Old 10-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #16
Ernie Vitucci

Good Evening and welcome...Regarding the pencil filter...Model A's don't like them as pointed out above. What an 'Old Guy' taught me 50 years ago was to put a good strong magnet in your glass filter bowl on the firewall...not to use the cast iron filter bowl. The magnet should be about the size of a quarter dollar six or seven times as thick. It will attract what is coming out of the tank...and you will be able to see the build up on the magnet...that way you will know when to clean the fuel bowl and the magnet...very simple and old school...but damn it...it works! Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci View Post
Good Evening and welcome...Regarding the pencil filter...Model A's don't like them as pointed out above. What an 'Old Guy' taught me 50 years ago was to put a good strong magnet in your glass filter bowl on the firewall...not to use the cast iron filter bowl. The magnet should be about the size of a quarter dollar six or seven times as thick. It will attract what is coming out of the tank...and you will be able to see the build up on the magnet...that way you will know when to clean the fuel bowl and the magnet...very simple and old school...but damn it...it works! Ernie in Arizona

Good tip. The only downside is with no pencil filter rust/grit can get into the shutoff valve (on As with the shutoff on the bottom of the tank)which scores/ruins the valve. I have heard of putting a strong magnet into the tank, with a removal chain attached to the magnet on one end and attached to the filler neck on the other end. One downside to this method is either attaching the chain to the spark arrestor or not using the arrestor.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #18
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...The model A shut off valve is pretty old technology that can be damaged easily, as you say. Bratton's sells a 1/4 turn ball valve that connects to your original shut off valve and then goes over to the fire wall...it replaces the pipe that is there now. With it you never close the original valve again...just operate the 1/4 turn ball valve...I've had one for a number of years and it works really well and does not ever drip...if your original type valve does not drip...install the new pipe and valve and never touch the original again. A friend of mine had a dripping original valve, so we changed it out and put the new one in at the same time...all has been good. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #19
GRutter

Great Color
and Welcome to the Ford Barn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931 CCPU.JPG (208.7 KB, 66 views)
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #20
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Vitucci View Post
Good Morning...The model A shut off valve is pretty old technology that can be damaged easily, as you say. Bratton's sells a 1/4 turn ball valve that connects to your original shut off valve and then goes over to the fire wall...it replaces the pipe that is there now. With it you never close the original valve again...just operate the 1/4 turn ball valve...I've had one for a number of years and it works really well and does not ever drip...if your original type valve does not drip...install the new pipe and valve and never touch the original again. A friend of mine had a dripping original valve, so we changed it out and put the new one in at the same time...all has been good. Ernie in Arizona

Thanks Ernie - will have another project next spring, was not aware of the ball valve "kit".
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote