Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Elcastor

Default Installing the Rumble Seat Lid

I am trying to install the rumble seat lid on a 1930 Standard Roadster. I did not take this apart so I do not know where these pieces go, or how they are put together. I am assuming that the square nut is the correct nut to go on the hinge bolt. I do not know where the square washers go in relation to the hinge assembly. Where do the 2 larger pieces go? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
frank mcdaniels

Default Re: Installing the Rumble Seat Lid

The bigger pieces are the rumble lid stops. There mounted to the floor inboard of the hinges. Some of the catalogues have the exact dimensions. The shoulder bolt goes into the hinge mounted to the lid. You should have 4 square washers two for each side the lock washer and square nut go on last the square washers are on each side of the bracket that's on th car. They are textured for extra bite so they don't slide around when tightened there's some slop in the hole in the car mount so you can do sme adjustment there. It's not a very handy spot to get into but with the right tools you can. I replaced my shoulder bolt with one with an Allen head. It was much easier to get an allen reach in there than a ratchet and socket. Good luck , FAnk
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Elcastor

Thank you Frank. I now understand where the items go! Very helpful.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Elcastor

I am still trying to figure out the rumble lid stops. Does any one have a photo of where they go. I may be missing some pieces. It looks like they should bolt to a curved survace, and the only curved survace is on the lid. It placed there, I do not see any area for them to come up against to stop the lid.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:07 AM   #5
Tinbasher

I looked for pictures but I don't have any for the stops. The rumble seat stops need the rubber stop block. That is installed on the end of the bracket on the 45 deg. angle part. They where riveted originally. Most guys bolt them with 10/32 machine screws. two on each rubber. The brkt. itself sits on the rear seat rizer against the rear edge. If you look underneath the seat rizer you'll see two support brkts. welded in place. The bolts go through these reinforcements. So the brkt. sits on the rear edge, with two bolts on the top edge and two bolts on the rear edge of the rizer. So the angle of the brkt. fits the rear angle of the seat rizer. It doesn't sit on the top. It's half and half on the seat rizer. I hope this helps. It's also easier to fit the rumble lid if all of your hardware is original. Which yours appear to be. Good luck JP
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
desotoguy

Rumble lid stops for a 31 Coupe. Appears you have two different stops.RS1.jpg
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

There is also another item to the puzzle and that is the longer Rumble Stop Brace's which go on the underside of the body. It attaches to the upper Rumble Seat Stop to give it some stableness when the rumble lid is open. THIS IS A MUST!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #8
Elcastor

Hello Steve! OK! I found the stops that you mentioned, and now know where the pieces that I have go. It becomes more difficult when holes get filled in with body filler. Thanks all of you for your help!

Ben
Old 12-30-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
Randy in ca

The main problem you're facing appears to be that your lower inner panel is not mounted properly or has been cut off. The front edge of it should be fastened to the top of the seat base as shown in the photo that desotoguy posted above. The rumble lid stops then get mounted on top of these.

Also if your inner panel is a reproduction, it is likely missing the brace for the spare tire carrier. If your outer panel is not original, it too could be missing another bracket used in this same regard. I think there was a recent thread about these brackets. Also has been good pictures posted of how the lower brace for the rumble stop bracket gets attached. I can look for some pictures if you can't find what you need to know.

-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rumble curved inner panel.jpg (75.1 KB, 215 views)
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #10
Elcastor

Thank you Randy for your additional information. I just checked, and they did leave out the last screw. Also, when they rebuilt that floor panel, they did square up that corner. Fortunately, they will fix any problems when the roadster is back together. This vehicle was in pretty rough shape when I bought it and has come a long way towards being a decent roadster once again. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Ben
Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 AM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Ben,

The long Rumble Stop Brace, I believe, is tack welded, besides being bolted, to the underneath. Someone please correct me if I am wrong on that observation or assumption!!!!

I think Tinbasher has it right!

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 12-31-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote