Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
Pinesdune

Default What have I got and what am I missing

Hi guys, just picking through the bits that came with m'lady and trying to figure out where some of these trims go and what I do have and what I'm missing before I start looking for a paint shop.
Pic 1

I think 1,2,3,4 are fender bits between front fenders and frame (just 2 sets) and 4,5 are door garnishes (not sure where on the door they go)
Pic 2

I have no idea what where these are for?

Pic 3

More door bits, same thing, not sure where they fit, I think 3,4 screw into the door opening at the top on the car.

Pic 4

I think 3,4,5,6 are channel welt for the windows, the big bent trim, where the heck does that go??? No I'm not kidding lol

Pic 5

Fender braces,rumble step, 75 roll of fender welt (is that enough??)

Pic of the car in current state

This is a real pain starting with boxes and no local sports coupes to go look at that I know of, and having NO experience with finishing a car/body work, I have no idea what I'm looking at when I see these parts. Also, that's all I have, if you know of something missing, please let me know. Thanks in advance, and hope you all have a great New Year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #2
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: What have I got and what am I missing

When I looked at your Sport Coupe body it appears it may be a relatively early 1928 as there is no extension on lower cowl for the hood rest.

All the parts you show are parts for your Sport Coupe, some of which could be hard to replace, so do not let anyone talk you into selling any of them at this time.

On your 2 sets of hood sills, the cut out at the rear should match exactly to the rear of the cowl. The early ones have a smaller cut out.

Try to locate someone near you that knows 1928's and they should be able to identify the parts and where they go on your body.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:25 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

1,2,&3 are hood shelves. 5&6 are door moldings

Next picture; 1&2 are the Windlace Retainers that attach to the cowl post with tubular rivets. 3-6 are the rain gutters.

Next, 1&2 are Windshield Garnish Mldgs, 3-5 are door glass channels, and 6 is the top tack-strip mouldings

You sure did not pick an easy project to begin with. Might pay you to drive a distance to document a complete Coupe.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
ModelAMike1930

5 and 6 top pic are window garnish molding. I know that because I had to fabricate them for my pickup.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Pinesdune

Yes, she's a very early Canadian car, matched serial number C1535 (engine and frame) I am trying to track someone down with knowledge on the coupes, but not with any luck yet, problem is where I'm at, I'm kinda in the middle of now where lol. Thanks for the input on the pieces, any helps is greatly appreciated. And if anyone wants more pics to reference, just let me know. I'm going through the Internet with a fine tooth comb but often get sidetracked by nicely restored cars lol

Old 01-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #6
700rpm

In pic 4, the large curved pieces, part 6, are the belt molding and tack strip for where the top meets the body, and are very delicate, very rare, and nearly impossible to find. I searched for five years before I found a good useable set, and then I had to pay $250. Handle with care and store safely, and do a lot of research on installation before you attempt it. The finish molding is very thin and dents easily. If you hire out the top installation, make sure the upholsterer is an experienced craftsman, knows what they're doing, and understands the two pieces are basically irreplaceable.

If you don't want to do that, you can use hidem welt, which is what guys do when they can't find the original molding, and sell your set to someone doing a show car. Or store yours until you're ready to tackle that part of the project.

Nice car, by the way.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 01-02-2016 at 05:12 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
50B

Drop the 'S' on sports coupe, the correct is SPORT COUPE, NOT SPORTS.

I'm the owner of a 1930 SPORT COUPE for 53 years. Retired show car.

You have a 1928-29 model 'A' Sport Coupe model 50A, The 1930-31 model 'A' Sport Coupe is model 50B.

50B
50B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50B View Post
Drop the 'S' on sports coupe, the correct is SPORT COUPE, NOT SPORTS.

I'm the owner of a 1930 SPORT COUPE for 53 years. Retired show car.

You have a 1928-29 model 'A' Sport Coupe model 50A, The 1930-31 model 'A' Sport Coupe is model 50B.

50B
I stand corrected, "sport coupe" it is then! And thank you, I was wondering what the model number would be.

Last edited by Pinesdune; 01-02-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Keith True

Also,before you send anything off to the paint shop,dry fit it all first.Most important are the front fenders,but pre-fit anything that needs to be painted.Those front fender braces may look perfect on the bench,but if they are bent just a hair they will throw the front fenders off a lot.It's a lot easier to bend old parts than it is to bend restored parts.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
Also,before you send anything off to the paint shop,dry fit it all first.Most important are the front fenders,but pre-fit anything that needs to be painted.Those front fender braces may look perfect on the bench,but if they are bent just a hair they will throw the front fenders off a lot.It's a lot easier to bend old parts than it is to bend restored parts.

Thanks for the tip, I actually am temporarily assembling her today in the shop trying to figure out the jig saw puzzle and will try and check fit before I send her off, but I will be getting the body shop to do most of the body assembly as I have neither the tools or the experience to do any body work. I just really need to make sure I'm sending them a whole car first lol.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #11
Ron in Quincy

According to the Judging Standards Page F-2 under Engine Numbers, CA 480 thru CA 3229 equates to March 1928.

If you do not have the Judging Standards, I suggest you should get a copy from either MAFCA or MARC if you desire to build the A with the correct parts for the month of your A.

Ron,
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
According to the Judging Standards Page F-2 under Engine Numbers, CA 480 thru CA 3229 equates to March 1928.

If you do not have the Judging Standards, I suggest you should get a copy from either MAFCA or MARC if you desire to build the A with the correct parts for the month of your A.

Ron,
The new name for the book is "Restoration guidelines and judging standards". They changed the name to reflect the best use of the book for the masses, that is what are the correct parts for the year/car you are working on.

So as Ron says get a copy of the book to save a lot of time and energy.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:23 AM   #13
Pinesdune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post

Ron,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
The new name for the book is "Restoration guidelines and judging standards". They changed the name to reflect the best use of the book for the masses, that is what are the correct parts for the year/car you are working on.

So as Ron says get a copy of the book to save a lot of time and energy.

I already have a copy, I found the paragraph on the hood shelf brackets last night. I find the book invaluble tho sometimes I do find it hard to find the info I'm after, it's not always in the section I think it should be in. Also, sometimes the book goes on and on over the changes made to one part, then only has a paraghraph or two about the next peice, so I end up missing the info I'm after due to flipping through it to fast. I just have to get used to the part terminaology that ford used and the layout of the book. (there's nothing wrong with the book, just the user)

And thanks for the help gents, with your help it saved me a lot of time and frustration.

Last edited by Pinesdune; 01-03-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
pgerhardt

I am in the middle of restoring the doors on my 29 tudor right now (picture 5 below), so many of these parts are familiar to me. I am doing it all myself, and yes my "paint booth' is my tool room with plastid draped to protect the garden tools from overspray. Sometimes you just have to make do with what you have. But if I win the lottery . . .

Pic1: 5-6 These are mouldings that go on top of the door panel just before the window (the part you would rest your elbow on as you drive with the window open. The bump on top is what you grab to close the door. (my pic 1)

Pic3: 1-2 go on the very top of the door, and are removable to remove or install the window There is a rubber piece glued to a channel in this piece that captures the window when it is rolled all the way up. It needs to be removed and the channel cleaned out before painting. The part of this piece that faces in must be nicely finished and painted since it serves as the upper frame of the window No moulding covers it. (my pic 2)

Pic3: 5-6 These parts go under parts Pic1: 5-6 and are held down with the same four screws. One side of this part has what looks like a windshield wiper rubber. The rubber "wiper" goes against the window and keeps it from rattling. (my pic 3)

Pic4: 3-5 These are the felt window channels that the windows ride in, BTW Bratton's sells a really nice kit with new replacements for these and all the door rubber parts. (my pic 4 - Bratton's replacements)

When you get the doors "test assemble" take pictures for body shop so they have a guide for the proper final assembly. You may want to get one of the Bratton's kits to give to them so that all these (dried out?) parts are replaced at the time of assembly.

Finally try to join a local club for help. I know if you lived anywhere near CT I'd be there in a flash to lend a hand. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by pgerhardt; 01-03-2016 at 08:17 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
Tinbasher

Hi Pinesdune: I'm working on the identical car. I can send you some pictures as I've just finished assembling the top structure, doors and rumble lid. Now on to the hood fit and finish. If your car has "Robertson hardware then it's a Canadian model. One of 1600 made in 28. You have the two piece belt moulding which is next to impossible to find. Drop me a line. Here's some picture of the top. See if you have these parts for the bows.

John Poole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A40.jpg (47.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg A33.jpg (55.0 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg A34.jpg (59.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg A3.jpg (53.0 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Tinbasher; 01-03-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Adding pictures
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #16
pgerhardt

I just ran across one of the door window channel kits on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...Wf5zV&vxp=mtr"
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
Pinesdune

Thanks , I'll take a look

Old 01-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #18
Pinesdune

Hi guys, just an update on m'lady. She's heading to the paint booth in April some time. I've found an ISO certified place to clean and powder coat the rims which is on the list for next week. I have also been digging through the restoration guidlines to verify the parts I have are period correct but have a perplexing question about fenders. There's one early front left fender, one later right with the "sharper" bend down to the hood shelf, and I've got a matched set of rears but they are the mid '28 that were made right after the "beaver tail" fenders. Now my car was produced March '28, but the body is an American body (can tell by the screws) that was assembled in Canada. So since I bought her as a basket of bits, I have no idea what is "correct" for her. Would they have shipped the body with the newer fenders out of the states as a set which means the fenders (more specifically the rears) are correct, or should she have the beaver tails? I realize I have no idea the history on the car and that if she was in a wreck they'd have fixed her with what was available. I am probably going to get her painted with the fenders I have at this point anyway, but I want to know so I can hunt down the proper ones once our dollar is actually worth something on your side of the border.

PS. My kids begged for a ride last week, they were grins from ear to ear

Last edited by Pinesdune; 03-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:43 AM   #19
Big hammer

:-) your kids will remimber that ride for the rest of their lives :-)
Catalogs will help in identifying your parts, most are free !!
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 PM   #20
Pinesdune

Hi guys, still stuck on this? I've talked with Tinbasher, Ron, and another gentleman about the rear top bow brackets for my car but I'm still stumped. My Sport Coupe has these brackets behind the doors to mount the landau irons to, not the ones like in post #15. Also the belt rail wood and the bow wood does not have any markings for the vertical supports with the sleeve nuts as seen in the same post (and the wood looks very old and I suspect original due to the covering I removed) . There's nothing in the restoration guidlines on these brackets. Does anyone know if the brackets I have were specificaly a very early 28 feature, and can anyone confirm if the vertical brackets were on the very early cars or not (or if my car just had them replaced by a drunk scotchman who forgot to install them ) I have no problems installing the brackets, I just dont want to start chiseling if it is original.
Tinbashes car is an October 28 Canadain, and the other gents is an April 28 US car, mine is a March 28 Canadian

PS I'm part scotch

Last edited by Pinesdune; 03-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.