Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #61
mhsprecher

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

I have always liked old things and as a kid was interested in Model T's. My barber was a Model A guy and I migrated to them. I bought one in high school, but never got it on the road and sold it when I went to college. Forty years later I bought one again.

I love the looks and the simplicity. I went from one Model A to two, two V8's and a Model T. My wife loves them, too, so it's a family hobby. My daughter disapproves, but my son is a car nut like his dad.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:11 PM   #62
Synchro909

I don't own a Model A. They own me!
Old 04-12-2021, 10:54 PM   #63
Model A Ron

Because I can and wanted one
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:13 AM   #64
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
Because I can and wanted one
OK, bonus question, Ron: why did you want one?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 09:42 AM   #65
Garwood

I've always loved the fat fendered cars. Use to have a '36 Tudor. I bought my Model A truck because they are easy to work on and parts are still easy to get.
Garwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:03 AM   #66
Model A Ron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
I've always loved the fat fendered cars. Use to have a '36 Tudor. I bought my Model A truck because they are easy to work on and parts are still easy to get.
I do not think the Model A would be nearly as popular today without the help from our vendors. They play a big part on keeping our Model A's on the road.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #67
Aretino

First car I ever worked on was a Model A. When I was 13 years old a neighbor let me help work on his Model A. The simplicity, reliability, parts availability and memories were all factors when I made the decision to purchase my 31 Coupe. I find it easy to relax when i'm with the car.
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:23 PM   #68
Jordan

The reason I own one is because of 2 reasons: 1) inheriting my grandparent's town sedan 2) the hobby & local club

My brother and I always absolutely loved Model A'ing as kids with our grandparents- we went on tours with the Fort Worth club growing up all the time. The car is great, but what fun is it to only enjoy it by yourself? Sure, a Sunday drive is nice. But the friendships that have turned into family through our club is what keeps me involved & loving my Model A's.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #69
DNLs1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
A man asked me this today when I took my Coupe to the grocery store, and it is not a common question, at least for me, when IÂ’m out in my A.
It took a moment to form a coherent reason, but it enlivened the conversation with the stranger.

How about you? Why do you own a Model A?

I was expecting to read "Your reason" in the post...

I would say I do not "own" a Model A but am the caretaker for my families (Grandfathers) Model A, and only became that after my Uncle had his 10 years enjoying the car (and doing A LOT OF WORK)

Gramps bought the car in the early 40s as best we can tell and then passed it to my Uncle to be used for "bodyman" vocational training in 1966 (I think) Gramps found out the fenders were going to get removed and a "hotrod" modification was planned so he picked up the car and stashed it in the garage where it stayed!

As a young child I would peak in the window of the garage and see the "cool old car" but never saw it out of the garage until my gramps passed in 2007.

My Aunt wanted me to have the car but I insisted my Uncle gets first choice as long as the fenders stayed on the car. (which they did)

My uncle passed the car on to me about three years ago but "missed" his Model A so much he bought another Model A just to go cruzin with his club!! And YES he kept the fenders on this car too.

In a few years it will be my sons turn; so we are caretakers not really owners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ipone1 034.jpg (63.9 KB, 38 views)
DNLs1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:07 AM   #70
JoeCB

I was a junior in high School in 1963, Dad thought that I needed a project to keep me (and him) out of trouble. Found a 31 coup across town for $150. Dad drove it home , I followed in the 63' Chevy station wagon. Dad arrived "cooked" the Ottwell manifold heater was wide open and it was a hot summer day to boot. Still have that car, dad and I did the engine, babbet and all, mom sewed the upholstery. An old restoration, parts from Warshawsky, nitro lacquer, body work all lead, all original and looks real good, a driver... no trailer queen.
Joe B
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00208.jpg (108.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by JoeCB; 04-24-2021 at 07:15 AM.
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #71
Jemelton#

I am also the caretaker of my wife's family 29 Tudor, it sat in the barn for over 55 years before I was asked to take it over. purchased new in Grand Island, Nebraska.
Jemelton# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #72
chikin31

Took my driver's test in one in 1957, passed with flying colors! Decided I should have one of my own. Found a 31 coupe parked in a chicken coop, after some serious negotiating, bought it for $35. Cleaned it up, put new tires and battery on, drained the gas tank and it was ready to go. Drove it all through high school, loved it, but sold it for $300 thinking I'd made a 10% profit, and promised myself I'd get another one. 40 years later I bought the same model coupe that needed a repaint that lived in Bend, Or. It had a Donovan engine, which I loved, so drove it back to Az. and unrestored it. It's now my "Chikin Coop".
I drive it now thinking I can recapture my youth, which usually works until I try to crawl underneath!
chikin31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:48 PM   #73
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I have always liked old things and as a kid was interested in Model T's. My barber was a Model A guy and I migrated to them. I bought one in high school, but never got it on the road and sold it when I went to college. Forty years later I bought one again.

I love the looks and the simplicity. I went from one Model A to two, two V8's and a Model T. My wife loves them, too, so it's a family hobby. My daughter disapproves, but my son is a car nut like his dad.
Wow nice collection of antique Fords!!!!

They are just a neat looking little car, fun to drive and monkey around with AND as 'small' as they are they really don't take up much room. For days when you feel the need for speed, it's fun to have an early Mustang in the shop too!

They are a less expensive way to get into the old car hobby than a lot of old cars, and are really pretty dependable restored to FACTORY specs with good parts.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:29 PM   #74
camcrusher

Because I'm 6'-7" and wanted to see if I could fit in one. It's tight but it puts a smile on my face. I have a '29 ccpu that's almost road worthy and a '30 ccpu in the works.
camcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #75
burner31

Because owning a Model Z is just crazy............
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #76
29abone

chicks dig 'em
29abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #77
Oldbluoval

When I was pre-7 (now almost 74) family used to sit on the front porch. There was a fellow named Lawton that used to come by in a 30 roadster. You could hear the distinctive sound from a long way away; he would come hauling by!
Dad said he was going home from a beer joint several miles up the road. Obviously not of sound faculties and, again, hauling.
We moved to another town. When I was about 18 Dad heard Lawton passed. I found out particulars and found the car……disassembled in his shop! I did buy it and he had started restoration/repairs/demolition! It was sorta a disaster of body repairs. I tinkered for awhile and didn’t have skills nor facilities. And college was calling. Sold that one but found a 31 running roadster. Except for a very few years post-marriage I’ve had one of some sort.
My favs are the slant windshield cars.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #78
RAJO special

Always enjoyed old cars, started with a 1939 Plymouth when I was just 14. Since then I have had old cars, trucks, motorcycles. Finally settled on Model A's and T's. Easy to work on easy to get parts, and a great following for all the information we need to keep them running.
K
RAJO special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:54 PM   #79
GerryAllen

As a boy of about 4, went to visit my Great Uncle on his farm near Pincher Creek Alberta, Canada. He had a Model A PU parked behind the barn, I was mesmerized by the flowing fenders and shiny head lights. Every time i saw an A my eyes were drawn to the fenders and head lights, what can I say.
I was snooping around one day on the internet and searched Model A's, the rest is history.
I love my 1930 Coupe and polish the fenders and head lights with great care
Gerry Allen Birch Bay WA

[COLOR="Red"]As a side note I was once asked why I own an A, I answered " there are as many reasons for owning an A as there are pebbles on the beach"[/COLOR]

Last edited by GerryAllen; 08-19-2021 at 05:06 PM.
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:09 PM   #80
jayvee34

I have owned 5, a Speedster, Roadster, Coupe, 2 door, and a Murray Town Car.
Enjoyed each of them.