Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #21
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Black single stage paint.

Painted my Zephyr with PPG Concept single stage. Very pricey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2C9AD1D1-265F-4EDD-8597-039F759AA615.jpg (134.8 KB, 90 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:54 PM   #22
Zeke3

Ken, the finish on your Zephyr is amazing, it looks like a mirror in this photo. That is a beautiful, unusual car.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #23
Tinker

It's been mentioned before above, but there are two black tones when painting a car. Brown black and a blue black. The blue black is deeper. Next time we have shows and your walking around, step back on a black car and let the sun reflect off the car. It's easier to see the difference and there is a difference.

On my truck i did single stage ppg 9300 black (it's just standard black for ppg). It's been 6 yrs so the numbers could have changed. It's a blue black and consistent in sunlight. Added a little flattener so it was only a little bit glossy.

About 900$ a gallon for color back then. But if I'm going through all the trouble of metal, prep, and sanding. Why would I cut a corner on the final presentable stage.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:44 AM   #24
frank d kirkstad

Thank you for all the information and pictures regarding paints and what to look for, I really appreciate it. If I can get my car to look half as good as the pictures you folks have sent, I'll be happy. Frank.
frank d kirkstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:15 PM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Ken:

Gorgeous. Is Concept the new water based paint?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:33 PM   #26
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Ken:

Gorgeous. Is Concept the new water based paint?
No, it’s acrylic urethane. I like it ok but if I had to do it over again I’d use acrylic enamel.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #27
Bored&Stroked

The single most important parts of the job are the prep work and quality of materials.

Are you planning to strip the paint off of the car before you apply new paint? I hope so - especially if there are any issues with cracking, lifting, bubbling, etc.. If you try to apply new paint (especially lacquer) over older paint - you can easily have adhesion problems - due to the solvent penetrating down into the old material. If you have any doubts, strip the car, redo any sketchy body work, use quality epoxy primers for sealing, etc..

There are many different brands/types of paint that you can use - and some are a lot harder to apply than others (depending on your skills). Do you have experience painting any type of automotive paint -- lacquer, enamel, acrylic enamel, urethane, etc?

Do you have a decent quality HVLP paint gun? If not, I recommend the DevilBliss StartingLine or FinishLine guns . . . both spray remarkably well for the price. I tend to use these guns for a lot of my smaller work - versus the high-end SATA stuff I have.

You'll find that removing the doors and painting them "flat" will give you the best possible results (if ur not a professional painter). I usually recommend painting the door jambs of the body and the doors - always looks better. I paint the jambs on the doors first, then mask them off before I do the outside areas. BUT, this requires all rubber stripping be removed, a lot of extra prep, masking, etc..

If you are new to painting, consider doing some test work on an old fender (something you can get at a junkyard). Do all the prep, do the primer, do the sealer and then apply the paint. If the paint is going to be rubbed out, then do this as well. Take time to learn on something you're not in love with . . . before you paint your car.

Enough outta me!
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #28
frank d kirkstad

Thank you Bored & Stroked for your questions and comments. I have no experience with these new paints. I have painted my Model A using bonnie Gray nitrocellular lacquer color on body with acrylic enamel black on the fenders. I painted my brothers old chevy. nova with maroon acrylic lacquer. Both cars came out very well. Back then I was using a devilBliss siphon type gun. I plan on getting a new HVLP gun and I do have a decent compressor. Yes, I do plan to strip off all the old paint and use a good primer. Do I also have to use a primer sealer since I will be at bare metal, just trying to save a step. Thank You. Frank
frank d kirkstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #29
old31

I have had very good luck with Nasson SS black. It is very black.

Nasson was Dupont brand.

Last edited by old31; 01-07-2021 at 06:12 PM.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #30
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Ken that reflection coming from your car is stunning. Beautiful job.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #31
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank d kirkstad View Post
Thank you Bored & Stroked for your questions and comments. I have no experience with these new paints. I have painted my Model A using bonnie Gray nitrocellular lacquer color on body with acrylic enamel black on the fenders. I painted my brothers old chevy. nova with maroon acrylic lacquer. Both cars came out very well. Back then I was using a devilBliss siphon type gun. I plan on getting a new HVLP gun and I do have a decent compressor. Yes, I do plan to strip off all the old paint and use a good primer. Do I also have to use a primer sealer since I will be at bare metal, just trying to save a step. Thank You. Frank
If you're stripping it down, then I would try to use a quality epoxy primer as soon as possible over the bare metal - using a metal-prep beforehand, re-scuffing after it for good measure (before the epoxy primer) and making sure you don't wait for any surface rust to start. Usually I use ScotchBrite as my "scuffer" after the metal-prep and surface cleaning . . . many say you don't need too, but I've found better results when I do (being careful not to put my bare hands on the surface).

These newer primers seal extremely well and will not let any moisture get through to the metal or body filler below. Once you apply a couple of good coats of epoxy primer, then you can scuff it and put a higher-build type of primer on it (for block sanding and getting all the small imperfections out).

If you are stripping and doing bodywork on a section of the car at a time (like most of us do) - then cover each section with the epoxy primer in stages - trying to seal things up as soon as you can. Many shops today only put body filler over the epoxy primer - as it seals the metal off and ensures that no moisture gets through.

Depending on the top-coat material (type/brand) and associated recommendations, you may need a 'sealer' over the high-build primer.

In many cases a sealer gives you a consistent cover coat - before you apply your base color. Usually sealers are applied right before the base coats - with appropriate flash time (again, depending on the paint).

You may be able to skip the sealer step - depending on the materials you use (type and brand of paint), how well your base primer has covered and what is recommended by the mfgr.

Best of luck!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #32
Fortunateson

I love Centari. My first paint job with a small 2hp compressor using a gun metal gray metallic turned out incredible. One tiny run but a razor blade took care of that. A light polishing, which wasn't recommended and the car looked great. My nephew who is a boy man asked me who/where I got it painted...he sure was surprised.

Just finished using PPG shop line and wasn't impressed. I've seen a lot of cars done with Delfleet and they all looked great in single stage. And the paint chips for selection are about 2"x3" and there are a LOT of them so I'm sure you could find something. Up here Delfleet all in price is about $275 CDN so very reasonable.
Fortunateson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #33
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunateson View Post
I love Centari. My first paint job with a small 2hp compressor using a gun metal gray metallic turned out incredible. One tiny run but a razor blade took care of that. A light polishing, which wasn't recommended and the car looked great. My nephew who is a boy man asked me who/where I got it painted...he sure was surprised.

Just finished using PPG shop line and wasn't impressed. I've seen a lot of cars done with Delfleet and they all looked great in single stage. And the paint chips for selection are about 2"x3" and there are a LOT of them so I'm sure you could find something. Up here Delfleet all in price is about $275 CDN so very reasonable.
That brings back memories. When I was 17, I painted my first car (VW Bug) outside on the driveway one summer evening using my dad's Sears 2 hp compressor and Mars Red Centari. I used tweezers to pick out the bugs. After a buff, it came out OK.

I do regret not wearing a mask. I had red snots for about a week.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:09 PM   #34
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
It's been mentioned before above, but there are two black tones when painting a car. Brown black and a blue black. The blue black is deeper. Next time we have shows and your walking around, step back on a black car and let the sun reflect off the car. It's easier to see the difference and there is a difference.

On my truck i did single stage ppg 9300 black (it's just standard black for ppg). It's been 6 yrs so the numbers could have changed. It's a blue black and consistent in sunlight. Added a little flattener so it was only a little bit glossy.

About 900$ a gallon for color back then. But if I'm going through all the trouble of metal, prep, and sanding. Why would I cut a corner on the final presentable stage.
In the days of the old fountain pen "blue black" was the nicest hue of ink too.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:18 AM   #35
Scott52

I am not a paint expert at all. My 1956 Chevrolet (I also have a 52 Ford and a Dodge power wagon) was painted single stage Black and Ivoryt 2 tone and the painter used PPG/Omni 9700. I like the more "dull" appearance of the single stage for original looking cars. It's been 10 years and the paint looks great.
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote