Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #21
chrs1961815

Default Re: Putting a V8 in a model a

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
You wantabe had up for murder?
Hey I am just exploring the option. I am being skinned by many in the community for even thinking of it...
chrs1961815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #22
mfarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
Hey I am just exploring the option. I am being skinned by many in the community for even thinking of it...
That's the barn!
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #23
Nosetime

Go over to the Hamb....instead of skinning, they will rub lotion on it! I am doing a banger roadster and for my needs, both forums are indispensable!
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #24
Benson

THE V8-60 SOUNDS like a good idea BUT that engine is too small at 136 cubes to have enough torque to make drivable.

A friend had one for a short time ... 20 more Horsepower BUT "GUTLESS" was his comment and sold it.

This was a 3.78 rear end ... MAYBE a 4.44 would be usable.

Last edited by Benson; 08-21-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:31 AM   #25
rocket1

I would think you would have to box the frame to be able to handle the torque of a v/8.I would think a hopped up Ford v/8 60 would be interesting.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #26
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Please don't even consider putting a small block Chevy into that car, you will end up with a car that looks like everyone else's car.
Actually a restored, stock Model A looks a lot like everyone else's restored, stock Model A.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #27
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Mid to late 50's small blocks? I have a 55 Chevy as well and some spare engines...
Small block chevies are all the same from '55 to about '96. Doesn't matter if it's a 265 or a 400, same block. We went on a hotrod tour with a guy that had a '29 coupe with a flathead-8. Was a nice car but he was still dropping a gear on every hill, even the relatively mild hills. Would be an expensive job for little gain IMO but it all depends on what you want. Don't pay no mind to all those that are ragging on you for wanting the car to be what YOU want. It's your car. make it the way you want it. I had a guy a few weeks ago on another forum post pics of a beautiful '30 couple stating that he took it for a drive and "now to pull the fenders and boards off". He wants to hotrod it. Kinda breaks my heart to see such a nice original get modified but it's his car to do as he pleases. BTW I would be curious how many of those that are giving you the gears about modifying your car added a second tail light and signals to theirs?. Seat belts, speed parts, powder coated wheels, 12 volt etc. Mods are mods. It's either how Henry built it or it isn't.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:45 AM   #28
Tacoma Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Small block chevies are all the same from '55 to about '96. Doesn't matter if it's a 265 or a 400, same block. We went on a hotrod tour with a guy that had a '29 coupe with a flathead-8. Was a nice car but he was still dropping a gear on every hill, even the relatively mild hills. Would be an expensive job for little gain IMO but it all depends on what you want. Don't pay no mind to all those that are ragging on you for wanting the car to be what YOU want. It's your car. make it the way you want it. I had a guy a few weeks ago on another forum post pics of a beautiful '30 couple stating that he took it for a drive and "now to pull the fenders and boards off". He wants to hotrod it. Kinda breaks my heart to see such a nice original get modified but it's his car to do as he pleases. BTW I would be curious how many of those that are giving you the gears about modifying your car added a second tail light and signals to theirs?. Seat belts, speed parts, powder coated wheels, 12 volt etc. Mods are mods. It's either how Henry built it or it isn't.
Bravo! I built two Model "A"s with small block Chevy engines. No regrets. Something I have said for years....................."was Henry a hot rodder or restorer"? Kinda makes one think huh.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #29
J Franklin

I think Henry was practical.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:32 AM   #30
CarlLaFong

In your first post., you say that you don't know how. You need to carefully examine your skill set. Can you weld? Do you have a large enough space and a set of tools? You don't just stick in a V8 and call it good. Everything needs to be altered in some fashion. Brakes, suspension, possible frame boxing, steering and on and on. Don't get in over your head
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM   #31
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLaFong View Post
In your first post., you say that you don't know how. You need to carefully examine your skill set. Can you weld? Do you have a large enough space and a set of tools? You don't just stick in a V8 and call it good. Everything needs to be altered in some fashion. Brakes, suspension, possible frame boxing, steering and on and on. Don't get in over your head
Should have known you can't just throw the thing in there. I am not the best welder, never had to do any of that. I used to fix car bodies and paint cars, nothing really in the mechanical area.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #32
Flathead

Hi, my avatar is a Model A roadster with a flathead, it was built from flea market bits and pieces. No Model A's were destroyed in the process and most of the pieces were Hot Rod parts or in poor condition for a good original A. I also have a bone stock Tudor '30 that I will never modify. You can probably see where I am going with this, If you want more performance try some mods to your 4 cyl. or build a Hot Rod from a kit or from parts.
The flathead is a tight fit in an A, I used a recessed firewall for mine and do not run any hood. In the end it is your car and entirely your decision what you do but think it through fully before you start. Good Luck!!
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #33
chrs1961815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Hi, my avatar is a Model A roadster with a flathead, it was built from flea market bits and pieces. No Model A's were destroyed in the process and most of the pieces were Hot Rod parts or in poor condition for a good original A. I also have a bone stock Tudor '30 that I will never modify. You can probably see where I am going with this, If you want more performance try some mods to your 4 cyl. or build a Hot Rod from a kit or from parts.
The flathead is a tight fit in an A, I used a recessed firewall for mine and do not run any hood. In the end it is your car and entirely your decision what you do but think it through fully before you start. Good Luck!!
I think if I am ever going to put a flathead or small block in a model a, I will have to do it to a bad condition one or one that is built from bits and pieces.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #34
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
I think if I am ever going to put a flathead or small block in a model a, I will have to do it to a bad condition one or one that is built from bits and pieces.
Hot rodders are no dummies. They know that the fastest and least expensive way to get to a finished car is to start with the best one they can afford.

Don't fool yourself. A cobbed together, incomplete car, with major rust and body damage, is not a good candidate for a hot rodder...just as it is not a good candidate for a restorer.

Hot rodders do not seek out crap in order to "save" the good stuff for restorers. If you do so, you will be among the first (and maybe not the brightest)

If you want to hot rod your car...do it. It has been done for well over 100 years. It's allowed.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #35
J Franklin

If you really want to build a hot rod there are many modern frames. engines, drivetrains, steering, brakes, springs, interiors & A bodies in all the hot rod magazines I have read. They go together quickly & well and don't require as much fabrication as trying to start with a full modification of a weak framed, straight axle model A.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #36
Step-down

MY 1931 roadster the motor and transmission wasn't useable . I got dropped in my lap a complete 59 ab with a 39' top loader from a deal freind . Long story short it fix without any Mod's to the firewall and driving the model A daily . Vern Tardel has a new book that could be useful.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:09 PM   #37
racingrufus

Get the Vern Tardel book from Rodders Journal, it has great instructions and pictures.
racingrufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #38
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
If you really want to build a hot rod there are many modern frames. engines, drivetrains, steering, brakes, springs, interiors & A bodies in all the hot rod magazines I have read. They go together quickly & well and don't require as much fabrication as trying to start with a full modification of a weak framed, straight axle model A.
Yes but that route is EXPENSIVE and not as much fun.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:44 PM   #39
texas webb

Henry was also responsible for the V8 flathead.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #40
jboggess

There is a place back east called Rufus Ranch,, rufusranch.com. Its a Model A junk yard that puts together roadsters and trucks out of spare parts. Most of the cars even run. Since they are not original and restored, they look like good candidates to make hot rods out of,, anyone can even cut up an original steel body like the hot roders like to do. Its win win.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote