Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Donpet

Default 32 shifter lever problems

Removed my shifter lever from b motor#5232934 with shifter top #b7222 and when I put it back on it will not shift correctly. The 2nd and3rd speed work 1st and reverse stall engine. Lever seems loose and not engaging properly engaged. Any suggestions? Thanks
Donpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 32 shifter lever problems

See part 7221 on the diagram at http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...-52-LD3spd.jpg
Do you have this pin in your lever? I am not sure this would produce the problem you have but you need it anyway.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
Kerk

I would remove the top and be sure the forks are in the right place or groves. Sounds like one is not right. Shold be an easy fix if that is the problem. Good luck . kerk
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

I think Charlie and Kirk gave you the best two possibilities to check out. If it was previously shifting well, and you can't find the pin that Charlie mentioned, there is a good possibility that it fell into the gear case. If the pin is in the gear case, and left there, it could totally destroy most of the gears in your box. To get it out, you could remove the bottom plug and drain the oil. If you are lucky, it will come out with the oil. If not you could go fishing for it with a small high strength magnet attached to a telescoping rod.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
cas3

if it kills the engine, its trying to be in 2 gears at once, in other words one of the forks is not in the groove, and a gear is not in the neutral position. take the shift cover off and check the forks
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #6
Donpet

The pin is in place and it was shifting fine before I removed the lever. I did this because I have a V8 tranny with no lever i'm preparing to use. I removed the top and the forks were in the grooves. It's possible that one of the forks moved when I removed the lever and that's my problems. Does anyone know where the forks should be in neutral in relation to the case sides? I seem to be having a problem fitting the round nub and the ball at the end of the stick in the proper place.
Thanks
Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #7
BoxCar Tom

With the trans top off, install the shift lever, move the lever thru all the gear positions and then back to the neutral position. Re-install the trans top onto the trans case with the shift lever holding the neutral position. If necessary move the gears to realign the grooves with the neutral position shift forks. Screw everything back together. Go for a ride.
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Donpet

Box Car Toms directions worked and I have it together and shifting properly. Thanks for all the help.