Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
flathead34

Default '34 PU Steering Column Removal

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the complete steering column, with steering wheel from a '34 Pickup? Can not see how to remove the horn rod without having to take out the rear window to get the steering wheel off then remove the column. Thanks, Mike.
flathead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: '34 PU Steering Column Removal

The only way is to remove the sector housing or loosen it to a gap of about 1/2 ",that's the 4 nuts on the side and the 4 -1/2 bolts were the starter switch mounts ,roll the colium e clock wise a bit ,also the dash bolts then the worm and shaft will pull up, Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Scott/Mn

Hi Mike, I was able to remove and replace my steering assembly without removing the rear window (which is still original glass). Remove the pitman arm using a puller and unbolt the steering box. Of course remove the floorboard. This will give you room to angle the steering column. Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 wiring.jpg (37.7 KB, 38 views)
Scott/Mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
DavidG

In addition to Scott/Mn's instructions, you can make it a little easier if you remove the left side exhaust manifold (not completely, just remove five of the six bolts and loosen the sixth and swing the manifold upward and out of the way).
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #5
flathead34

Thanks for all the help and suggestions to remove and exchange the steering column in my '34PU. Now I know it is possible to take the column out with steering wheel attached. Mike
Old 08-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead34 View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the complete steering column, with steering wheel from a '34 Pickup? Can not see how to remove the horn rod without having to take out the rear window to get the steering wheel off then remove the column. Thanks, Mike.
Just wondering if you are replacing your original steering with a rebuilt 34 box, or are you possibly going with an F1/F100 steering box?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #7
totto

Mike:

Dave and Scott have given you the correct way and that was the procedure I used during my restoration.

Henry
totto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
flathead34

John, I am replacing my '34 steering with an original '34 box that has a '35 sector in it and roller bearings instead of the bushings on the sector. Good to meet you in Dearborn with Steve's 35. This time Steve is going to help me. Mike
Old 08-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flathead34 View Post
John, I am replacing my '34 steering with an original '34 box that has a '35 sector in it and roller bearings instead of the bushings on the sector. Good to meet you in Dearborn with Steve's 35. This time Steve is going to help me. Mike
Mike, I'm glad I got to meet you and Steve at Dearborn. Our group felt Steve's 35 was very well done, definitely one of the nicest 35's there that was going for its Dearborn award.

The reason I asked which box you are going with, a friend is thinking about upgrading his 34 pu steering by installing an F1 or F100 steering box, and I was wondering how difficult this project might be. He had his 34 box rebuilt by Lares, and feels it is still too difficult to steer.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #10
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Mike, I'm glad I got to meet you and Steve at Dearborn. Our group felt Steve's 35 was very well done, definitely one of the nicest 35's there that was going for its Dearborn award.

The reason I asked which box you are going with, a friend is thinking about upgrading his 34 pu steering by installing an F1 or F100 steering box, and I was wondering how difficult this project might be. He had his 34 box rebuilt by Lares, and feels it is still too difficult to steer.

I have the steering box that Flathead Ted does in my 1934 Looks original but updated internals with really nice steering. I had some shimmy troubles initially but traced that to a multitude of things none of which were related to the steering box- I suspect that the slop in my old box was hiding the shimmy -Karl