Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #21
Smooth_One

Default Re: 6V coil issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I have used a three OHM Pertronix flame thrower coil on my 12 volt converted model A roadster for 12 years with excellent results . This is a performance coil that gives instant starts and performance that can be felt . Pertronix also offers a 1.5 version of this coil for 6 volt use . I haven't seen any three OHM coils offered by model A venders . It will no doubt be easier to get a good three OHM direct than just walking in a local parts house and asking for a three OHM coil . Usually the counter man won't know the difference and will ask what model and year car the coil is for . If you say it is for a model A Ford that is probably as far as you will get with that .
Ha ha ha!!! I asked 4 different parts stores and they said duuhhhhggg what is a Model A?
Great world we live in these days... sigh
Thanks for the heads up on the flame thrower coil. I’ll ya e to check that one out.
And have one as a spare as well.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #22
Purdy Swoft

I forgot to mention that the epoxy filled coil is the best bet for the model A . The epoxy coil can be mounted and run with the wire connections at the bottom . The oil filled coil is best mounted with the wire connections at the top or the coil can over heat and fail early . . This may not pertain to a performance coil . Others have mentioned coil problems with the coil being hot to the touch . Use of an oil filled coil on the model A can be problematic after a while if not mounted correctly .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #23
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
I don't have one to measure, but your former post said 12v, 6 ohms, which seems more reasonable than 3 ohms.

My mistake, have edited it, is 3 ohms.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote