Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-23-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
denis4x4

Default Conflicting Dates for National Meets Part 2

Several weeks ago there was a thread about MARC and MAFCA having the same dates for the 2018 national meets. Having promoted some automotive events, I sent the following letter to both MAFCA and MARC:

As you probably well aware, the fact that both MARC and MAFCA national meets are being held at the same time in 2018 is a hot topic on several of the forums dedicated to the care and feeding of the Model A. I’ve asked if there is a “back channel” communication between the clubs to avoid conflicts like this. It was suggested that I go directly both of the clubs. That said, I was shocked to learn that the final details on the Branson meet were hammered out less than a year before the event is scheduled to be held. Have been party to the organization of several national automotive events, I’m amazed that these gatherings are not set in stone at least two years in advance to give participants an opportunity to request vacation time or make plans in advance.
So, can you address the following:

1. Do MARC and MAFCA have a line of communication to address dates of national meets?
2. Is there a planning group in either organization that can project dates of events out at least 24 months if not 36 months?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Both organizations responded to my letter and the upshot of the responses was that there is no "back channel" communications on the subject of the dates for national meets. MARC and MAFCA do work together on the judging standards.

As to the second question, both organizations expressed a desire for long term planning of national events. However, since these events are hosted by individual clubs, long range planning is very difficult.

If I were king, I would meet with both organizations in an undisclosed location. I can't help but think that if MAFCA was to put on a national event in even numbered years and MARC in odd years that it would be beneficial to the hobby. Dual membership would probably increase and the logistics to put on a national meet could be more manageable.

In my opinion, co-operation between the clubs on certain issues would be far more beneficial to the general membership than a merger.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #2
quickchange

Default Re: Conflicting Dates for National Meets Part 2

Denis, Thank you for you efforts , As the originator of the post I appoint you KING , Sometimes one does have too speak out & lets hope for the benefit of the hobby its noted & taken on board, Lets all work together for a better future . Spring time in NZ .
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Jordan

Stop beating a dead horse. No amount of complaining or analyzing is going to change anything. There are two clubs. Two nationals. Just be thankful they don't coincide with each other every year. For those of us like myself, I'm excited I have two options to choose from for next Summer. Most people on the east coast wouldn't go all the way to the west... and vise versa. Catering to two different crowds.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #4
TerryO

Quote:
If I were king, I would meet with both organizations in an undisclosed location. I can't help but think that if MAFCA was to put on a national event in even numbered years and MARC in odd years that it would be beneficial to the hobby. Dual membership would probably increase and the logistics to put on a national meet could be more manageable
If this were the case then we would only get to attend a meet every 2 years especially when the MAFCA meet is on the left coast. How many folks attend both meets every year any way? I like it like it is with choices.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote