Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
bmcdonough

Default rumble seat

thinking of converting my 31model a to a rumble seat car! Looking to locate the parts its going to take. if you have any or all to get this going on please call me at724-208-2657 i am in southwestern pa.

Thanks Bill,
bmcdonough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
daveymc29

Default Re: rumble seat

Where are you? i have all you need and will give a good price if you can pick up in he SF Bay area. Seats have never been out of the wrappers that I know of as well as the side panels. All are a brownish tan color. PM me with an email and I can send pictures.

Dave
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
redmodelt

He is on the other side of the country. Should be in the classifies anyway.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #4
TerryO

Nice welcome to a new member

Welcome Bill

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:02 PM   #5
daveymc29

So where does one find the classifieds? Is that the Swap Meet?

Sorry, I didn't notice it was classifies. No wonder I couldn't find it

Last edited by daveymc29; 07-28-2018 at 09:16 AM.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #6
JBill

Think it over. A lot of people, me included, wish they had a trunk rather than a rumble seat. Passengers riding in a rumble seat is a terrible idea. Just imagine being rear ended by some fool on their cell phone.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:15 PM   #7
ronn

Greyhound or Fastenal can easily make this happen- for a pretty low shipping price!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I to thought a rumble seat in my 1929 Standard coupe would be fun when I first restored it back in the late 70's. It was fun to have to take my friends for rides ect. Well after about 35 years I decided to return the car back to a trunk. It was hell trying to find all the original parts to do the job.

So my advice to you if you are going to do this...KEEP THE ORIGINAL TRUNK PARTS BECAUSE YOU JUST MAY NEED THEM AGAIN IF YOU EVER PLAN ON GETTING RID OF IT SOMEDAY!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
jboggess

Rumbles are fun, i know my family has fun with ours, i hope you enjoy it after you convert yours.
jboggess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #10
WHN

Our rumble seat draws a lot of attention and our kids loved it. Our grandson and his friends now also enjoy the ride.

Having said that, I would also keep the trunk parts. You never know what the next person is going to want. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
CHuDWah

Sorry, can't help with parts but I also recommend you think twice about a rumble seat. They may be fun, cute, quaint, whatever but they're not practical. Not very comfortable, open to all kinds of weather, hard to get in and out and easy to damage paint and upholstery when doing so. I've never heard of a rumble seat passenger being injured in a wreck but it certainly seems possible. We had a Sport Coupe that came standard with rumble seat - I think we had passenger(s) in it only once or twice. It was used mostly for hauling around a few emergency spare parts and cleaning supplies. At least we had a nice wicker hamper for those - people at shows thought we were on a picnic.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

The Man asked for PARTS, not a LECTURE !
Bill W.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

I also later regretted converting our 31 standard coupe to a rumble seat . People always want to ride in the rumble seat . Adults climbing over the back fender really bothers me . Some have little or no concern and will tear your model A up if you don't watch out . The weight of heavy people stepping on and climbing over the back fender is more strain than I want put on our 89 year old coupe .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
SSsssteamer

[QUOTE=CHuDWah;1658180]..... I've never heard of a rumble seat passenger being injured in a wreck but it certainly seems possible. ...........
When I was a kid living in Oak Harbor, WA, our neighbor's son was killed when his dad, Lyle Muzzall, collided in a curve with an oncoming car that was driving on the wrong side of the road. The rumble seat lid fatally slammed his kid in the back of the neck. My 1939 Ford convertible coupe took a hit to the body work one night when I let a drunk try out sitting in the rumble seat. He was stepping from the top fender mounted step to the rumble seat when he lost his balance and his knee put a, 1 1/2 inch deep dent into my convertible's body. It didn't do his knee any good either.
The rumble seat lid opening is very difficult to load and unload groceries out of. The trunk lid was made just for that purpose.
I sold our 1928 A rumble seated roadster mostly because its rumble seat didn't fit our needs anymore.
So if you are still "thinking of converting your trunk into a rumble seat", I wish you the best.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 PM   #15
ronn

rumble seats bring way more money-but dont tell that to the guys with the trunks!

;}
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

One Guys' suitcase slid back in the rumble & the lid wouldn't OPEN! After a Months' bumps & quick stops, it slid forward & they FINALLY washed the SMELLY clothes, from the suitcase! Their pet Chameleon (sp?) had DIED!
Bill Laffin'
Old 08-02-2018, 06:23 PM   #17
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
The Man asked for PARTS, not a LECTURE !
Bill W.

Well, looks like he's getting both!
Seems to me the value of this forum is to share experience, positive or negative, so hopefully others won't make the mistakes we've already made.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Well, looks like he's getting both!
Seems to me the value of this forum is to share experience, positive or negative, so hopefully others won't make the mistakes we've already made.
Well said CHuDWah!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
Marshall V. Daut

x2 ChuDwah. The "price of knowledge" on this website often involves detours into areas not DIRECTLY requested by the OP, whether all agree or not with such excursions. Free help often involves free opinions. Ya' pays your money, ya' takes your chances. Accept it. 'Always been that way, 'always will be that way. But these side trips rarely result in useless information to the majority of readers here. As the old expression goes: "It's an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good." Often the detours end up dispensing more useful information and SEASONED ADVICE than what straight answers to the original question would have harvested.
And for the record, add my name to the list of people recommending keeping the trunk. Such Model A animals are becoming increasingly rare due to rumbleseat conversions. I curse the day the parts to make the conversion were made available to the Model A community. Too many unaltered, original Model A's (mostly coupes) have been virtually ruined by this seemingly good idea to add a rumbleseat. I know it's hard for a novice to resist the temptation to change a trunk into a rumbleseat, but there are plenty of Model A body styles that came standard with a rumbleseat. Innocent coupes and roadsters that have made it to the 90 year mark with their trunks intact should be left this way in my opinion. Want a rumbleseat? Buy a Sport Coupe, Cabriolet, Deluxe Roadster or even a 1930-31 Deluxe Coupe with that option. But please leave Standard, Business and Special Coupes with their factory trunks. They are increasingly becoming rarer in that form.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #20
Marshall V. Daut

Before getting pounced upon here by the Feel Good About Yourself Police, I should add the obligatory comment that it's your car - do what you want with it.
But read between the lines of this concession. It's your car TODAY - someone else will own it in a few years and he will curse you for making a 2018 conversion that is difficult and expensive to reverse. It's MUCH harder to go back to a trunk than it is to make the conversion to a rumbleseat. Once the trunk lid's pivot bolts have been removed and the telltale holes filled, it's difficult to convert the rumbleseat decklid back into a trunk lid.

Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote