Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
LRS30

Default Re: 40 merc Tudor sedan! What have I done?

I still have not pulled the trigger on ordering the parts yet, but I think we are gonna start with wheels and tires first. First thoughts where 7.50 rears and 5.50 up front, but as it was pointed out, the 7.50 may not fit, so my question is have any of you guys ran a 7.50 with success? Also we are looking for 4 good 40 rims, we will settle for 3 but would like a nice set. I will post a wanted add but figured I'd start here. Thanks
LRS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
Shoebox

Regarding your earlier question of a source for quality original type wiring harness, I just received a complete harness for my '39 Merc from Narragansett Reproductions. It (the wiring) is a thing of beauty.

Shoebox
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #23
Ralph Moore

I think you will have issues with 7.50's.
I ran them on my 47 coupe and they were a bear to get on, had to jack up car by bumper in order to let the axle hang down and still had to squeeze tire in. Very little clearance between sidewall of tire and fender. If Mercury fenders are narrower then you may have issues. Of course you may be able to order custom rims with an offset.
You could try putting 16" rims in rear and15" in front to assist with the rake your looking for.
Ralph Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #24
bchrismer

I'd echo Ralph's thoughts, regarding the wheel stagger. I'm running late model radials, on my stake truck, but went with Wheel Vintiques 15x6 and 16x7s on my stake truck. With the tires I chose, it added nearly 2.5" of rubber rake.

StreetRodder.Net The FUN is in the RUN!!!
bchrismer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #25
Torchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Moore View Post
I think you will have issues with 7.50's.
I ran them on my 47 coupe and they were a bear to get on, had to jack up car by bumper in order to let the axle hang down and still had to squeeze tire in. Very little clearance between sidewall of tire and fender. If Mercury fenders are narrower then you may have issues. Of course you may be able to order custom rims with an offset.
You could try putting 16" rims in rear and15" in front to assist with the rake your looking for.
I agree with this also. I was always told that this is the true style of big and littles. Different rims front and back. Not just tire size. If you look at Cokers catalog they will give the tire height for each size. That may help you with fitment issues as well.
Torchie.
Torchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #26
jack in san diego

save your drop axle money until you try the Posies front spring. Mine dropped exactly 2" with spring alone. I am doubtful the 7;50 rear tire will work, talk to some buddy and try one of his rear tires first. I am a penny pincher and will try anything before I buy. Good luck, your car looks great, a rare find. Jack
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #27
LRS30

JAck we to are penny pinchers ! I plan on starting with a posie spring first and foremost the wheels and tires that are on it are brand new but just not the look/style we are wanting with this project. Although I have a strange feeling once we get the spring on there that they will work for the time being. I love chrome reverse rims don't get me wrong! I just really think this car deserves the original style rims and caps it had from birth. We have one original in the trunk that is by far the nicest example of a 40 rim I have ever seen, and I will go as far as saying I do not believe it has ever been on the car! It is pristine! I have some questions about the windows in general on the Merc. Are the felts, guides, regulators all the same as a ford? If so who would you recommend to purchase replacements from? Drake, Little Dearborn?, or is there someone who has vehicle specific items that I don't know about? Thanks guys for helping a Merc newb, I just don't wanna be the guy that everyone says "WHY IN THE HELL DID YOU BUY FROM THEM, THEYRE STUFF IS JUNK". If ya know what I mean......
Old 10-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #28
TomO

The window channels, regulators fuzzy strips are not the same as the Ford. You will have to line the front guide with felt yourself and use flexible guide for the rear and upper guides on the front doors. The rear windows will use the same flexible guide as the front doors.

The felt strips are longer than the Ford, but can be bought at Restoration Specialties as well as the other parts to repair your window runs. The front lower channel is called a 'Batwing' by them,

http://stores.restorationspecialties.com/3-c-1-72/

You will not be able to fit any tire larger than a 6.50 to a stock wheel. The stock 40 wheel is a 4" wheel, you will need at least a 5" wheel for the 7.00 or 7.50 tire. I have 6.50x16 on my Mercury and when I have 3 heavy adults and a trunk full of luggage, the tires will hit the fenders on some bumps.

Google 1940 Mercury Photos and you will see that most of the cars that have a modified stance, have the rear lower than the front. The small wheel cutout in the rear fender just make this look better than the front end rake.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #29
LRS30

TomO thanks for the tip on the wheels and the window info. It advice like this that makes this site a true treasure chest of knowledge.