Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #21
Ross F-1

Default Re: Frame issue

I have basically the same setup in my truck (truck pumps with narrow car sheaves). You're condemning yourself to swapping out sheaves every time you need a new pump. It's not a simple process and potentially cracks/distorts the sheaves, both coming off and going together. The sheaves are no longer available new, too. Why not use a truck crank pulley and be done with it?
Old 07-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
jack in san diego

Looks like you have a real mess there. You should look at someone else's frame before you make any decisions. Good luck
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #23
jack in san diego

Looks like a real mess. You should look at someone else's stock frame before you make any decisions. Good luck Jack
jack in san diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #24
PhoenixFear

Well I managed to press off the pulleys from the Bob Drake 8RT pumps I have, and bought a new narrow belt pulley for one side. The other original narrow pulley I had was still good. Unfortunately the new narrow belt pulley is too small to press onto Bob Drake's shafts... we tried and ended up in a real mess but managed to correct it before it was too late. The other pulley was way too big and just slipped on. Guess I'll be buying a truck crank pulley after all.
Also as a word of warning for anyone who doesn't know... there are two different timing covers for cars and trucks. The truck pulley won't go onto the crankshaft if a car timing cover is on, the pointer will hit or at least won't be accurate. Luckily I have one of each so I'll be swapping those out too. I could in theory just drill out the hole that the truck location is in, seeming as how my car timing cover has both locations, but then I'd run the risk of somehow damaging the pointer or cracking the cover trying to get the old one out. Also noted that I'd need to fill that old hole up.
I thought I'd share this because Bob Drake and I think Speedway does say the 8RT pumps are good for using an 8BA engine in a '32-48 vehicle. So basically what is needed is a truck crank pulley, a truck timing cover, and those 8RT pumps in order to at least make the engine run. They don't mention that. Not sure at this point if I'll have fitment issues with a bigger crank pulley hitting the crossmember.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #25
Ross F-1

You can just shorten the pointer on a Car timing cover. I have the opposite situation, Car crank pulley with Truck timing cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Timing pointer.jpg (69.8 KB, 10 views)