Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
Mtn Wudy

Default Fuel Line at Carb.

My 48 with a 94 Carb has an elec. pump so prev.owner put the reg. right on the Carb. My question is there a special fitting to buy for the carb for the ferrel ,steel line ..OR does it hook directly to carb.I'm putting a stock pump back on...Thanks ahead of time...Carl
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #2
ken ct
BANNED

Default Re: Fuel Line at Carb.

The threads in the carb are 1/2x20 straight.Any fitting you install on carb has to have a fitting with that size thread and have a beveld nose on it. Regulators usually have pipe thread either 1/8 PT or 1/4 PT neither are compatible with the ford thread.ken ct. What thread is in the regulator?? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
G.M.

The 94 carb has 1/2- 20 threads. In beyond the treads is a seatube t for the furrel and is counter bored for the 1/4" OD tube to enter for about 3/16" beyond the furrel. I usually set the furrel in another fitting before screwing the gas line fitting into the carb. The furrel needs to be squeezed good to compress it on the 1/4"tube and it is possible to damage the threads if the carb is used to compress the furell. G.M.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
oldford2

George,
That is good advice. Many carb threads are stripped by trying to tighten/squeeze the ferrule on the line to stop a leak.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Mtn Wudy

Thats My question...The parts Guy at C&G says it screws direct into carb....Its been 18year since i had a flathead and I thought I remembered a fitting that I had to hold on the carb. when I took the line off...Carl
Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
G.M.

Carl That's on the stromberg. The brass needle valve body screws into the bowl part of the carb then the fuel line screws into that. On the 94 the fuel line screws into the top part of the carb, right into the aluminum die casting. G.M.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Mtn Wudy

Thanks G.M.......I think I'm going to like the car without the elec. fuelpump ,,,and more like Henry built it...If it doesn't work out I'll find a quiet one to hide up in the frame rails....The one I'm taking off sounds like a "Pony Motor" running in the rear fender well....Thanks everybody,Carl