Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
700rpm

Post Why do you own a Model A?

A man asked me this today when I took my Coupe to the grocery store, and it is not a common question, at least for me, when I’m out in my A.
It took a moment to form a coherent reason, but it enlivened the conversation with the stranger.

How about you? Why do you own a Model A?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
MickyD

Default Re: Why do you own a Model A?

I always wanted one after a. high school classmate of mine showed me the model a pickup he and his dad were working on. I was hooked from that date on.
MickyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
Model A Ron

I would say for many reasons

1. I remember my grandfather talking about riding around in his Model A in the depression and it brings back good memories of when he was with us.
2. I feel the Model A is the oldest Ford that can be driven at modern speeds with the exception of the interstate
3. I just love the antique looks of the Model A
4. Very simple to work on
5. When I drive my A I feel everyone loves me.....ok it's the car lol
6. The Model a is a piece of rolling American History that has been proven by the test of time
7. Driving my Model A makes me feel as if I am in a time machine and I am in a place and time much simpler than the current screwed up country we live in.
8. When driving my Model A I cannot stop smiling

I could keep going but I will say that I have owned many classic cars and my Model A is by far number one.......just love it!

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
Harpkatt

Well I always wanted a hot rod and landed on an A roadster body. After a hodge podge hot rod roadster gave endless trouble I was taken for a ride in a stock Phaeton. I was sold. It rode like a dream and I knew I needed a real A. I took a few years but I found my coupe it was the right price and in pretty good condition.

I'm working on rebuilding the hot rod roadster but its now banger powered with all the original running gear. This one will have hydraulic brakes though.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
Jeff P. / MN

This from my biography on my profile page:
“ A car nut since birth! My dad was a car salesman in the 50's, he brought home a different car every day. I would sit in the window and watch for him. When I was 10 or so a man across the alley from my grandparents had a Model T and a Model A in his yard. He let me play in them and I was hooked!”
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Chris Haynes

Because I can't afford a Model B.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:39 PM   #7
30Murray

A few years ago I was in a meeting at work with a number of people who didn't know each other. In order to break the ice, my boss asked everyone to tell what kind of car they drove and why. I said my car was a Model A Ford, the reason being that was all I could afford because my boss wouldn't give me a raise. That 'broke the ice' with all but one person in the room....
30Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:40 PM   #8
alexiskai

We bought a house and the late owner had left it in the garage.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:46 PM   #9
Blue-Truck-Nut

Because growing up, most of the guys I admired and respected had Model A's. Monkey see, monkey do......

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Blue-Truck-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:52 PM   #10
Synchro909

About 25 years ago, I owned 3 late 20's cars. A Chrysler, a FIAT and a Delage. A fire in the workshop cost me the first two and I swore off cars after that. My wife nearly died in that fire.
After a while, the itch returned and we (wife and I) agreed to go back but I wasn't going to restore another car. I wanted one that was a good, reliable driver with a decent appearance so it wasn't a police magnet and was easy to keep on the road. That last item meant it had to be a Model A. What I didn't count on was the way they multiply. I now have 4 of them.
I have told several times of the long trips we do and the car keeps coming back for more. Happy we made the right choice.

This could be a fun thread.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:03 PM   #11
Jack Shaft
BANNED

A boy who was thrilled by his fathers story's of 'five dollar' model a's. He bought a 31 deluxe coupe in 1967.he put up a hundred, my two brothers and I put up fifty.. other than me they all lost interest and ultimately sold it to buy a sunfish sail boat.. I was heart broken, but at 11 that didn't hold much weight..I bought my first at 16,a late 31 deluxe delivery for 1800 bucks...sold it for 2500 when I went into the Seabees.. thought I cut a fat hog making 700 bucks..wish I still had that one.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #12
TerryH

My first car, in 1964, was a Model A Standard Coupe.....which I bought as several of my high school friends also had Model A’s, and I just fell in love with it.....plus my dad had grown up with Model T’s and A’s. I had that car for 3 years as my daily driver, going to college and also work. I put over 30,000 miles on it, including taking my future wife out on our first date. Had to sell it in late 1967 when I went in the AF for 4 years.
Then, in 2006, a good friend bought a Model A Roadster, and that re-kindled my love of Model A’s, and several months later I found my car.....a 1930 restored Town Sedan, which I still have, and drive 3-4 times a week. At 76 I still love driving it, getting friendly looks, and explaining what it is to younger folks. A couple times a week I still go out to the garage, turn the light on, and just gaze at it for a few minutes. It’s simply a wonderful car from long ago, and the difference between it and my Lexus IS350 is profound.....and fun!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:53 AM   #13
pbishop

I first had a 1919 Model T given to me by my wife for Christmas. Completely restored the car and loved driving it. Then had the opportunity to buy a Model A coupe and just had to have the car. So much more modern, reliable, and faster. Totally restored the Model A and then upgraded to 12 volt, Weber carb, modern points and plug wires, 19mm spark plugs, shaved head, and lightened flywheel. The car does a steady 65 mph without being over-taxed.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:42 AM   #14
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
Because I can't afford a Model B.
I wanted a B also, couldn't afford one 50 years ago, now I have to keep the A for my kids and grand kids.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #15
springerpete

I always loved Model T Fords. I had three at different times and rebuilt a lot of parts to get them in good shape. Then I grew up and got an A. Still have a T but drive the A a lot.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:12 AM   #16
ronn

got tired of looking for parts for all of my other "orphan" cars, including chevrolet.....
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #17
Pdgx

Wife kept complaining my ‘17 TT and ‘22 Mack were too slow !

Now we can do almost 3x as fast . . . . .
Pdgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #18
ModelAMike1930

I had always loved the model a body style. One of the neighbors had one when I was a kid I would stop what I was doing as a kid and would watch it drive down the street till it was out of site. I had the chance to buy one 5 years ago and then bought a model a pickup which I tore apart and did the body work on it.I now own a coupe and pickup.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:22 AM   #19
McMimmcs

Its my way to slow life down and enjoy my family and friends. Life is too fast paced with little time to relax. I try to keep it original as my ancestors did. To add things like radial tires and high compression head etcetera defeats my original purpose. If I want a fancy car I’ll drive my Cadillac.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:11 AM   #20
KenBolton

Because they’re cool!!!!!!!!
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote