Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
Sid

Default 32 Ford fenders

Looking for some one that has used steel Brookville rear fenders on a Henry 32 Ford coupe. How is the fit into the cove and attachment to the running board? Are the holes already drilled? How does the bead compare to a original?
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Steve/IL

Default Re: 32 Ford fenders

I returned a pair of Brookville 32 rear fenders. The beads were too flat. I didn't even try them on the car. I used original front fenders and didn't want to mix the beads front to rear. Otherwise I would consider using Brookville as long as it was on all four corners.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Dave Mc

I had a small restoration shop,and replaced all four fiberglass fenders with steel fenders on a 32 three window coupe,fronts came from Brookville,Rears came from Dearborn,Rears also required modifications to fit but nothing like the fronts
I spent about 24-30 hours on each Brookville Front fender modifieing them to fit ,my advice to you would be to find an original 32 fender to compare.the big problem was where the lower rear of the fender meets the frame and where they attach to running boards,the curvature at the lower rear needed to be increased so I made a male and female die ,with C-Clamps re-shaped and hammered the adjoining frame to fender surfaces as the fenders were also 5/8" too wide at that point,the fenders were also too long ,by increasing the curvature it shortened them up but were still 3/8" too long where they bolt to the running boards,that is easier to modify,but still needed to use two pieces of steel c-clamped above and below to reform to correct length,what will help most is to find a 32 fender for comparisons measure length and width and make a template of the curve of the lower rear of the orig 32.then form your steel to match,I used 1/4" x 4'' steel plate for top piece and 1"x3" thick wall tubing for underside,you will also have to remove the spotwelded bracing in that area before making the changes.I think alot of guys must sendem back to the manufacturer,but first they hammer the hell out of them before giving up,as most of those fenders show alotta action.Brookville just keeps reselling them until someone keeps them.

Last edited by Dave Mc; 02-04-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: misspelling
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Floyd

You will get varying opinions. The "Brookville" fenders from 3 or so years ago were not made by Brookville. They were offshore reproductions and were terrible by most accounts. That is why Brookville tooled up and started making fenders in their plant in Ohio. These fenders are an excellent fit and well made. The big difference I have found is that the underside of the bead does not look just like originals. You need to check opinions on whether they are the "old" Brookville or the new Brookville fenders. I watched them make the new fenders when I was on a plant tour a couple of years ago. They have new tooling, but use an antique wire and bead roller for the edges. Pretty cool. I do not think they drill all of the mounting holes . I am using original fenders. You should look at one of the new Brookville fenders for youself.
Just an opinion
Floyd
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Dave Mc

the fenders I referred to in my previous post were 5 years ago,glad to hear they've made improvements since
Dave Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I saw a new(2010 ) brook field body the other day in raw steel and was surprise at how wavy the the trunk top edge was.I mention it to a friend of mine who owns a brook field (picture attached )He said there was an unbelievable amount of work done to get his body ready for paint .To tool up to make a body like this for dyes ect is a massive outlay in costs I would say in excess of a mill so some short cuts maybe taken..I guess we have to be gratefully that you can buy a new 32 body
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model As Taupo 34 touror 092.jpg (80.5 KB, 9 views)

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Chisel

The lower rear part of the 32 Brookville rear fenders don't have the right profile. They look more like 31 Chevy rear fenders at the bottom and can be spotted a mile away. I could be wrong but they don't look like any of my origional Henry ones. If the origional profil doesn't matter to you they are nice fenders.
Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote