Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
afreudenrich

Default Transmission removal

I made a spring spreader. I have dropped the rear end of my 47 4 door in order to remove the transmission. I have totally removed all linkages and bolts as well as the universal joint. Removed the floor board.
I have not found the right combination to remove the tranny. The last time I had the engine out and it was not a problem. It has been about 55 years since I have removed a flat head transmission by removing the rear end from my 41 Merc. convertable and must be forgetting something. What am I doing wrong?
alf
afreudenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: Transmission removal

I sent a note to move to V8 section. This is for questions to the editor about the site.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
SofaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by afreudenrich View Post
I made a spring spreader. I have dropped the rear end of my 47 4 door in order to remove the transmission. I have totally removed all linkages and bolts as well as the universal joint. Removed the floor board.
I have not found the right combination to remove the tranny. The last time I had the engine out and it was not a problem. It has been about 55 years since I have removed a flat head transmission by removing the rear end from my 41 Merc. convertable and must be forgetting something. What am I doing wrong?
alf
I am not familiar with the 47, so please be patient. Normally the engine has a pair of mounts at the front and the trans has one mount at the rear and when bolted together they form a rigid unit that is mutually supported. It sounds like you might have their weight hanging by the trans input shaft, thats why it won't move. Typically the engine is supported, (a jack and some wood) so that there is no load on the trans input shaft. Hope this helps, good luck.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
Vic Piano

You will need to support the rear of the engine with a jack, etc., to be able to pull the transmission back and take it out through the interior of the car.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
larrys40

As Vic said you will have to support the back of the engine from underneath... then remove all the trans bolts to engine block/pan, rear engine mounts, and I would suggest removing the u-joint for extra room. It's no deal to put a 9/16" with a 3 inch extension and remove it.
The transmission will pull back slightly and remove out. it will be VERY HEAVY... so if it's been 55 years I would suggest having some young help to assist you. It has to come out the top side. Be care full of the seat/dash.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
AnthonyG

I'd pull the seat out as well. Two reasons you won't have to worry about getting it dirty or covering it and the more room the better to get a good hand grab and get it out.