Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2024, 09:40 PM   #1
DKnapp

Default mixing brake shoe linings

Anybody ever heard that mixing bonded and woven linings on a wheel gives a better brake?? I talked to a very knowledgeable Model A restorer and he claims that a woven front shoe and bonded rear shoe will give better braking. I never before heard of this. I know that the woven lining gives a softer pedal and the bonded lining gives a harder pedal. I don't know what the logic is for mixing linings or why it might give a better brake action. Curious to opinions of Ford Barners.
DKnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 01:19 AM   #2
Phil Brown

Default Re: mixing brake shoe linings

The only thing that I have heard of regarding the type of linings is that woven linings tend to work better on the original steel drums and the bonded linings work better on the cast drums ?
Never did any back to back testing to check though
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:36 AM   #3
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
The only thing that I have heard of regarding the type of linings is that woven linings tend to work better on the original steel drums and the bonded linings work better on the cast drums ?
That is as I have heard also.
Old 01-31-2024, 11:38 AM   #4
Will N

It doesn't make sense. If adding one in place of the other lining type makes the brakes work better, wouldn't two of the same that made it better make it betterer? (as Derek Bieri would say)
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 11:40 AM   #5
Will N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Brown View Post
Never did any back to back testing to check though
I have two Model As, both with cast iron drums. One has bonded, one has woven. I can lock up the rear wheels on both. The one with the woven linings has a somewhat softer pedal feel. That's about the only difference I see.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 04:06 PM   #6
Synchro909

The Model A braking system was designed with a heavy bias towards the rear wheels which is quite the opposite to what is done these days. Woven linings brake better than bonded ones (usually) so putting them in the front and leaving the rear ones alone makes sense. My car will out brake just about any other Model A (none have beaten it). I run cast drums on the front, steel on the back with woven linings all around. The front ones have the floating pin in the wedge and another modification I only told very few about and very few notice. The object of these mods is to get as much braking to the front wheels as possible. There is NO point locking up the rear wheels while the front are not doing much. That will REDUCE the overall braking and cost you control of the car. I locked wheel will slide easier than one that is turning. That's why anti skid brakes these days were developed.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:47 AM   #7
updraught

With servo assist you have a smaller shoe to force the longer shoe into action. I assume the "unusual thought" is to re-create servo assist with a less functioning lining. Better off with Ted's floaters.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #8
Bob Bidonde

It is a myth that bonded linings work better than woven linings on cast iron brake drums.
Braking efficiency is totally dependent on the applied input force, the coefficient of friction of the brake linings, heat transfer / heat dissipation and the mechanical condition of the brakes.
I have tried both linings on cast iron drums and I cannot tell the difference in stopping performance by the seat of my pants. However, the brake dust from the molded linings is too much to deal with if the car has light colored wheels. This indicates that the molded linings were wearing faster. I also found that bonded linings, when riveted to the shoes, have a tendency to crack at their attachment rivets. The only improvement of bonded linings over the woven linings is the precision the molded lining material can be arched to.

I went back to woven linings with cast irons drums, and I am pleased with their braking performance.
PS: I have Flathead Ted's Brake Floaters on my A's, and the improvement in braking is outstanding!

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 02-02-2024 at 11:10 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 07:54 PM   #9
updraught

The problem with bonded linings is making sure you get soft ones. Probably easier to get soft woven linings. Randy Goss has worked out where to get soft bonded linings.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote