Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
GB SISSON

Default Jailbar panel pulled from blacberries

I acquired this 1/2 ton panel about 6 or 7 years ago when I made a deal on 5 jailbar trucks over on the dry side of our state. It was a package deal. All 5 trucks and lots of good extra sheet metal, or nothing. I really was looking for a 1/2 ton PU with a title to build my woodie wagon on. The others were put under various roofs to await their fate. I am now down to just one, the panel. For whatever reason (lack of shed space?) the panel was parked alonside a shed and soon the blackberries and thistles took over. A week ago the only sign of a vehicle in the dense thicket was the two stainless headlight rings glinting in morning sun. The weather is great here in the fall and last weekend I tied a rope to this thing and yanked it out of it's thorney grave. Still air in the badly mismatched tires. One rear is a 31 10.50 15 on a stock innie 15" wheel. Yikes. I had to deal hard to get the excellent rear doors the PO had removed with a sawzall to use on a nicer '40 panel. One side of each hinge was cleanly cut and can easily be welded back together once I free up the hinges. I remember the body was pretty good for the age, but upon towing into my dry, dusty flat area I was rather surprised it had survived 6 rainey seasons in the berry patch and the tin was still very sound. All door bottoms are very solid, rear fenders are very good examples and very rare in this condition. The bottom edges show no thin spots at all. Yes it is beat up and has at least 20 bullet holes in it's hide, but that's no deterrent to me. The front fenders are not too good but I have a pair from a 1/2 ton pickup in my shop's attic that came with the same transaction. Same goes for running boards. I plan to spend this coming winter finishing up my other jailbar projects before I dive into this thing, but wanted to get it pressure washed, lubricated and sorted out and into a shed while it is still worth fixing. Notice I didn't say 'restoring'. OH, it has a G six and a 4 speed crash-box but I have a nice 59 ab on my run stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chia 1.jpg (164.3 KB, 564 views)
File Type: jpg chia 2.jpg (150.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg chia 3.jpg (137.7 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg chia interior 1.jpg (133.9 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg chia interior 2.jpg (132.4 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg chia rear door 2.jpg (121.6 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg chia rear door a.jpg (128.2 KB, 160 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-08-2022 at 10:28 AM.
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #2
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Jailbar panel pulled from blacberries

Pretty amazing that the vegetation didn't hold moisture on the thing. Looks amazingly solid and complete. You can make it your shop vehicle to deliver cabinets and paint your name on the side!
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #3
Bored&Stroked

Can't wait to see what you do with this ole' beast! It looks to be in really sound shape and one you drop that 59AB in it, you should have a good rig. Lots of work to do, but my bet is that you'll have it on the road next Spring!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:00 AM   #4
cas3

She's a dandy !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
GB SISSON

Few more... Looks like the Feds were trying to take out the driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chia rear doors.jpg (140.5 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Chia pass side.jpg (163.4 KB, 513 views)
File Type: jpg chia ds rear qtr.jpg (143.7 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg chia cut hinge.jpg (88.6 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg chia missing pan.jpg (122.4 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Chia B and C.jpg (115.4 KB, 512 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 09-08-2022 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
rotorwrench

Those new air vents gotta go. I hate fixing bullet holes. I like to use magnets to hold the patches but with little patches I have to be careful when tacking them in. I don't want to ruin my magnets.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
petehoovie

"the panel was parked alonside a shed and soon the blackberries and thistles took over. A week ago the only sign of a vehicle in the dense thicket was the two stainless headlight rings glinting in morning sun."

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #8
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Those new air vents gotta go. I hate fixing bullet holes. I like to use magnets to hold the patches but with little patches I have to be careful when tacking them in. I don't want to ruin my magnets.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 09-08-2022, 12:14 PM   #9
petehoovie

"Yes it is beat up and has at least 20 bullet holes in it's hide, but that's no deterrent to me."

Old 09-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
Zeke3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Fitzee tacks a piece of welding rod to the center of the patch to provide a handle to hold the patch in place while tacking it in place. Check out Fitzee's Fabrications on You Tube for more information. I have used the technique once so far and it worked well for me using MIG. Thank goodness most of the holes are confined to the doors rather than every panel on the truck.

Also looking forward to this project, to see what you come up with.

Last edited by Zeke3; 09-08-2022 at 01:02 PM. Reason: added comment
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
corvette8n

Neat project Gary, what year is it exactly, be watching to see what you make out of this one.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:51 PM   #12
A bones

WELL back in '84 a guy I worked with called me on a Saturday night excited to tell me he just bought new Corvette.
This here news is far more exciting.
Thanks for all the sharing you do.
Old 09-08-2022, 07:15 PM   #13
flatford8

I’m looking forward to seeing what you make of it.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:27 PM   #14
GB SISSON

First off, I DO know how to spell blackberries And I got to thinking about various sizes of fender washers to fix bullet holes. Maybe weld a 16d nail from the back. A handle and a plug all in one. But seriously folks, I can't start in on this thing right off, but putting it into proper mothballs after I get it clean and organized seems like a good Fall weekend well spent. I wonder If I should unload a couple cans of fluid film inside the doors and fenders. Pretty messy though. Perhaps a couple cans of WD40 every six months. Most of all it's getting it into a shed. Then on a dreary winter evening I can free up those stuck barn door hinges beside the woodstove and get the leaves welded back onto the barrels. Would be a big stride having the back doors on. The whole front clip is pretty ugly and it's gotta come off to pull the G6, so I could.........
Old 09-08-2022, 10:47 PM   #15
tomcarman

I love the bullet holes! Tells a great story for would be onlookers to speculate on. Reminds me of a story in Hemmings Classic Car magazine? I read several years ago about a prohibition era car recovered from an upper floor of an industrial building that had been covered up for decades with a bullet hole at the top of the driver's door. Wish I could remember all the details of the article. I'll try and research it.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 10:00 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Couple things I noted in looking at the bullet holes. There are two right on the curvature of the beltline and 3 on the top curvature at the side window opening where the bullet did not penetrate the steel. Made me wonder how many people survived over the years between war and prohibition etc, because of those stamped in curves. The holes are heavily concentrated at the chest of a driver. Not related, but the truck had been painted with the whole front clip an american flag. Obviously influenced by the film Easy Rider. Was Fonda's bike named 'Captain America'?
Old 09-09-2022, 11:08 AM   #17
'36 5W

Ah, another diamond in the rough! If you aren't careful, Gary,
you are going to wind up w/ a fleet of just about every model
Ford offered(or wish they had)in the forties!
If memory serves, (and it usually does NOT), Capt. America
referred to Fonda himself?)
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 11:55 AM   #18
Mart

Ooh I'll look forward to seeing this one take shape. I'd like to think you'll do it much like I would, except for far better woodworking skills.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 12:03 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Thanks for the vote of confidence from so many. I find great pleasure in bringing these dead trucks around to a useable condition. Jailbars have been dirt cheap in comparison to the pre-war V8 vehicles.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #20
flatford8

Yes his bike was “Captain America”. I think American Flags were painted on everything back then. That thing would make a good little camper……..Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote