Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
fourspeedwagon

Default 39 pickup social group questions

I've tried searching and I've seen the comment to go to the social group for 38/39s.. I joined the 3 that I saw but it looks like very little activity in any of them. Did I miss the good group where all the info is?
The previous owner of my newly acquired 39 either tossed or lost several pieces and I'm trying to figure them out..
Thanks folks! Greg
Old 05-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
malpais

Default Re: 39 pickup social group questions

Greg,

You probably have not missed anything. Seems those groups are almost forgotten - I know I often forget them.

Also, a lot of folks on the forum have experience on 38-39 and are not in the groups, so I generally post in the main forum.

I'm not an expert like some of the guys here, but I have couple of 39's and a 38.

What do you need to know - maybe I can help.

Gordon
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Mike in Mass

Well fourspeedwagon ! WE ARE HERE ! there,s a bunch of us now with 38-9 trucks . I too joined the groups ,but rarely go on them . Like Malpais says what do you need ? and how can we help? . accompany your questions with photos if you can , so others know what your talkin about . or request photos of what you think your missing ? if that makes sence . I started with a cab and an engine from a 39 fire-engine 2 ton tanker,now I have a pic-up , I owe allot/most of the "how to" from the guys right here ! mp
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
fourspeedwagon

Thanks Gordon and Mike- I'm trying to fit the hood but I think I'm missing part of the hinge. There are some pieces but I don't see how they could be enough. Is there a good pic somewhere of them? Will any other applications work (car or other year pickup?) I think I understand the hood latch, even though I don't have one.

I also have the upper and lower panels around the inside of the windshield but I don't quite have the wiper and windshield crank apparatus figured out.

My doors fit great and close nicely with good gaps, but on the outside I have no handles and wondered the same- is there a range of donors or are they specific to these trucks?

I'm just getting rolling on this rig, but these are my first questions off the top. Thanks much- Greg
Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
malpais

Try these - one stolen , probably from somewhere on this forum - sorry.

Will look for info on your other questions this evening. Have lot's of "before" photos to help me put mine together.

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 hood-hinge-R-1.jpg (18.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 39_hood_hge.JPG (74.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 39hoodhnge.jpg (63.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 39hoodhnge2.jpg (69.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 39hoodhnge3.jpg (74.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
fourspeedwagon

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Gordon - I'll go look at what I have- I think I'm missing the triangular piece in your pic. I have the "strap" pieces for sure.
I wish I had done the disassembly, but, oh well.

Also- is there a favorite vendor for parts for the 38/39s? Seems to be a bit less support from what I'm finding.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
Tinker

Some parts from 38-41 will work on a 39.

38 and 39 are really the closest outside a few things like the inside of the door (38 was a cardboard insert, 39 had a steel insert/cover,

The dash has some differences. Ash tray in the middle of the dash in 38, not in 39. Front Window regulator was a "t" in the front facing inward in 38, 39 was a round knob on the top of the dash. Gauges.

Then of course the obvious hood latch and grill differences.

For the most part everything else is interchangeable between the years. Well they will all work really but if you want it one year or another then you wouldn't want to interchange items.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-08-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: clarify
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #8
Tinker

Venders vary depending on the part needed.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
39wdy

Hi, I think I have an extra pair of hood hinges for your truck. They are not beautiful but at least serviceable. I could not pawn them off on Mike in Mass or 39 Portlander, but they still have some life in them. Send me your address by PM and I'll send you them for the cost of the postage. Toby Lampert
39wdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Clem Clement

I have a few parts as well.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #11
fourspeedwagon

Great guys - thanks a bunch.
At the bottom of the windshield opening I see a couple screw holes. My guess is that this is where the window regulator attaches and pushes the bottom of the window out. Assuming 39 only because the 38 has a different crank?
Boy it'd be fun to see one local so I can figure out the things I don't know.
Greg
Old 05-08-2014, 05:33 AM   #12
39portlander

Greg, my advise is get all the books that cover our year vehicle. Get out to your local car shows and you might see a few "working" examples. Toby "39wdy" has helped me and Mike a lot.

Almost 90% of my questions have been answered by looking back on my pictures and reading. It helps I'm not as green as I was a couple three years ago either

I have a good book with all my pre-restoration pics and now half way finished with the restoration. Please PM me with any questions, as I find some folks tend to over-react on these threads and the intended content is lost in the B.S. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #13
malpais

windshield mech
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 windshied.jpg (62.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 38 windshield.jpg (64.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #14
39pickup

Hi guys I'm new here and have tried searching for answers but can't seem to find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 39 pickup and started off with it not running. I had no spark. Changed out the coil and the resistor under the dash and she roared to life. Now I seem to have an issue with it breaking up and eventually stalling out after about 15-20 min of drive time. After it stalls out it takes about half hr or so and she will restart. Noticed the resistor on the firewall is cherry red when she stalls out. Not sure if that should be this way or not? I understand that the resistor will get hot but that seems too hot to me. Any help on possible causes or solutions would be great. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Eric
39pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39pickup View Post
Hi guys I'm new here and have tried searching for answers but can't seem to find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 39 pickup and started off with it not running. I had no spark. Changed out the coil and the resistor under the dash and she roared to life. Now I seem to have an issue with it breaking up and eventually stalling out after about 15-20 min of drive time. After it stalls out it takes about half hr or so and she will restart. Noticed the resistor on the firewall is cherry red when she stalls out. Not sure if that should be this way or not? I understand that the resistor will get hot but that seems too hot to me. Any help on possible causes or solutions would be great. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Eric
Eric, see my reply on your thread about this problem.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
fourspeedwagon

Hi 39pickup welcome, good luck with the resistor.

Gordon- Awesome pic, I can see that the one on the left is what I'll be looking for. Do we know if it's truck only- I've seen windshields listed as same for car and truck.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #17
39portlander

Greg, I have taken the hood off to make things roomier to work. Pics of my left and right side hinges, I know they should be body color

I got my windshield crank knob from B Drake, I had no original. The last pic is were I have my resistor/coil, always keep a spare resistor in the glove box. Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (58.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (65.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (68.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (85.3 KB, 20 views)
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
fourspeedwagon

Wow 39portlander- Very tidy restoration going on in those photos. Are you an "Oregonian" Portlander or a "Maine" Portlander? I'm hoping OR so I can see that truck at a NW show one day..
Old 05-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
fourspeedwagon

Would a 38 windowshield crank bolt in and then just use the dash cover to match (for a 38) or do they attach differently? Thanks- Greg
Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
malpais

Can you tell from the photos I posted? I can look later but we just got a foot of snow.....