Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #21
gilitos

Default Re: Tappet noise with new cam

Right. The question is how much damage and if it's toast now. Got a few hundred miles on it. I'll know hopefully this weekend.
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #22
gilitos

Right. The question is how much damage and if the cam is now toast. Hopefully I'll know this weekend.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #23
gilitos

Pulled out the cam today; wear rate is visually very high considering there is less than 1000 miles on this engine, and is concentrated in one spot on the lobe. I can't measure a height difference with a micrometer, but the lobe is certainly rounded where it has been scraping the edge of the lifter. Maybe the larger diameter single lock lifter will bridge over this worn area and get enough support from the unworn edges to be okay. Would sure beat buying a new $400 cam. Wish I had known about the necessity of using a specific lifter before installing the cam.

I removed this with the engine in the car but I'll take Purdy's sage advice next time and pull the motor out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0587.jpg (53.8 KB, 96 views)
Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #24
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilitos View Post
Pulled out the cam today; wear rate is visually very high considering there is less than 1000 miles on this engine, and is concentrated in one spot on the lobe. I can't measure a height difference with a micrometer, but the lobe is certainly rounded where it has been scraping the edge of the lifter. Maybe the larger diameter single lock lifter will bridge over this worn area and get enough support from the unworn edges to be okay. Would sure beat buying a new $400 cam. Wish I had known about the necessity of using a specific lifter before installing the cam.

I removed this with the engine in the car but I'll take Purdy's sage advice next time and pull the motor out.

You should call Bill and ask him. If it is to bad he can regrind it for you. Bill is a good guy he will tell you what to do.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #25
PC/SR

Yep, those are exactly the same marks I had on my cam using the small lifters. The center gouge may well have worn through the outer hardening, or certainly reduced its depth, so it would not last long even with correct lifters. It should be re-hardened if it is reground. The instructions should have told you the size lifters to use. Be sure the lifters rotate when you reinstall them.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #26
Pete

The hardening is usually about .080 to .090 deep. No problem regrinding it a couple of times.
Aside from that, the finish on the unworn part of the lobe looks like it was done on a bench grinder. I'm surprised Bill would let something like that out.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I've always used the single lock lifters . Bill Told me to use the large base single lock lifters when I ordered my cam. Mine is a 3/4 race regrind but the large base lifters are really better for any cam if you expect to get full specs on duration.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
Pete

"but the large base lifters are really better for any cam if you expect to get full specs on duration."

Wrong! If the cam is designed for a 1 inch lifter, increasing the face diameter will only add weight to the valve train.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #29
colin1928

Send it back to Bill as to be checked
Ask him to supply correct lifters and valve springs to suit the cam
Remember different cams need different valve springs

Last edited by colin1928; 05-27-2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: add
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
tbirdtbird
BANNED

"Aside from that, the finish on the unworn part of the lobe looks like it was done on a bench grinder. I'm surprised Bill would let something like that out."

Hmmm.
Look closely. The copper plating is nearly gone. Wonder if the cam also overheated....that would throw off the appearance of any of the rest of the surfaces.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #31
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
"Aside from that, the finish on the unworn part of the lobe looks like it was done on a bench grinder. I'm surprised Bill would let something like that out."

Hmmm.
Look closely. The copper plating is nearly gone. Wonder if the cam also overheated....that would throw off the appearance of any of the rest of the surfaces.
Look closer. It was glass beaded after heat treating to take the scale off.
It has not been overheated.