Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2014, 11:34 AM   #21
Chris Haynes

Default Re: american pickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
what is their real main business, as they can't be supporting themselves driving all over the country quibbling with eccentric old-timers over signs and rusty bikes. Are they auctioneers or estate liquidators?
I guess you have no clue how much money is made by starring in a TV show that you created. They don't need to sell anything they buy.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #22
Conair007

The show shows them showing up while there on a free lancing trip and if you notice the people that they come across are all ready micked up, they have the mike boxes strapped to they backs already.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #23
Franchise_24

Everyone keeps saying the Discovery Channel...aren't they on the History Channel?
Old 04-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
mikebowling

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Oh, and did I mention $$$$$$$$$. Shows like that have ruined good flea markets. Now everyone is an "educated consumer" and will offer you a dime on a dollar ( and we all know a dollar is worth .17 cents!) Da noive 'a dem people! Read a book, boycott TV!
mikebowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
WTSHNN

Ford Motor Company just tweeted yesterday that the Pickers episode airing tonight will feature them getting rid of their Mercedes Van and getting one of the new Ford Transit vans.

I drove out to Iowa last September for the day. Was a fun Model A Drive...

All the gimmicks aside I still like the show and you still see stuff you've never seen before.
-Tim
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #26
Bob/Kansas City

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I remember one time I tried to buy an item I had seen on one of their episodes. I emailed and got an answer back from some incredibly dense airhead - not Danielle - that couldn't understand what I was talking about even though I provided info on the episode, the date it aired and a picture of the item I had taken from that episode.
Makes you wonder how many of the purchases the guys make on the show are actually real or just staged for the benefit of the show. Disappointing !
Bob/Kansas City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #27
bikejunk

They did do just that for a living ,set up next to them at hershey years ago ,but now the money is in the show and the endorsments .
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 PM   #28
Ken Ehrenhofer

If you are familiar with the cabinets in the Parts Department of the Model A Ford Museum at Gilmore they were seen on a Pickers show and then john Marshall called and found the shop on the south side of Chicago and went over and bought them.
The cabinets are awesome so in a way the show helped us get the cabinets in the museum....LOL!
Ken Ehrenhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:57 PM   #29
Tom Wesenberg

Ken, that is a cool connection to the show.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #30
Roadster62

No complaints, I get to see old stuff all over the country, plus their tour of Europe, stuff I'd never get to too otherwise. Bob
Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
RobertB

Their business now is the show. I truly doubt they even deal with selling much of anything they pick.

They have a web page with a few items listed, and over priced.

We visited the Nashville "store" last year and it's only a set for selling T-shits and every imaginable logo'd item possible.

There were maybe a dozen over priced items actually for sale, and a lot of their "personal collection".

More power to them though. They found a way to make bigger bucks that they ever would as pickers.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:45 AM   #32
RobertB

Check out this link...

http://www.networth2013.com/mike-wolfe/

History channel pays Mike $550,000.00 a year for doing the show. I would assume he gets residuals from re-runs too?

No way he made anything like that as a picker.

That doesn't make him rich, but he's a darn site richer than me!

I expect he will be getting something from Ford for picking their van for the show.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #33
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB View Post

I expect he will be getting something from Ford for picking their van for the show.

They didn't show how he found it in the back of an old chicken coop, covered in dust.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #34
Terry,NJ

That's a nice shot! As far as the Transit goes, they're kinda puny for some of the bigger signs and other stuff they get involved with. I replaced my E-150 with a Transit and it'll take anything you can get in there. The trouble is that the cargo section is not even 8 ft long. Two mods I think Ford will make in the next few years, Extend the body out past 8ft and a four Cyl Diesel. It's a nice little truck without them, but they'd be the cherries on top.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Ford Motor Company just tweeted yesterday that the Pickers episode airing tonight will feature them getting rid of their Mercedes Van and getting one of the new Ford Transit vans.

I drove out to Iowa last September for the day. Was a fun Model A Drive...

All the gimmicks aside I still like the show and you still see stuff you've never seen before.
-Tim
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:56 PM   #35
ronn

BTW-a different mercedes van for each different show-they wtd to rent one here in NJ from a friend and he said no, just buy it. They put the same blanket behind the seats and looks like the same van, but different at each location. So consider where all of the ford dealerships are in the US and that is where they will get their vans and provide ford with nice advertising. they fly in>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #36
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
Ford Motor Company just tweeted yesterday that the Pickers episode airing tonight will feature them getting rid of their Mercedes Van and getting one of the new Ford Transit vans..
-Tim
I tried to order a new 2015 Transit van and I was told they won't be available until mid summer 2014. What Ford forgot to mention is the Pickers received that van as Product Placement. That is where movies and TV shows get free stuff and often cash payment for featuring products.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #37
BlueSunoco

I quit watching them quite some time ago, too hokey for me. Follow the money, sadly that ruins most good intentions and people.

I still like Pawn Stars at least the old man and Chum are good for some laughs! Plus Rick lays in some actual History makes the show more interesting.

Now, the glut of 'car' reality shows,,,, most of that is not worth watching either only a very few.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:35 AM   #38
FL&WVMIKE

A few years ago, they were "free styling" in Daytona Beach and bought a "girly bar" neon sign, called "The Pandora's Box".
After the show aired, it came out, in our local newspaper, that the couple had been visited, two weeks in advance, and items were picked out, by an advanced crew. The owner told of all of this, but he had not met Mike and Frank, until the filming.
I like to watch the show, not because of all the treasures, they find, but I like to see the hoards of treasures, that people actually have. I don't think that the hoards are faked.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #39
mshmodela

Let's see: American Pickers and Pawn Stars are shows about folks buying anything 50% off .. Yeah, the shows got old.. Next
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #40
mshmodela

Ohio lost the only Ford Econoline assembly line but won this little baby back from Mexico... Welcome back to the U.S.A. : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-650
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote