Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 PM   #21
Rock Hornbuckle

Default Re: What size socket set

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeleh View Post
Yes. Imperial is a term used by old hosers to refer to any unit of measure that differs from its american counterpart. It goes back to the days when Canada was considered a colony of the commonwealth of England. You may have also heard the term Imperial gallon which is larger than the US gallon (4.5 liters vs 3.78 liters to a us gal) To get even more anal, the proper hoser way to spell it is litre. You have to be careful when talking mpg numbers with a Canadian, because some hoseheads still do their calculations based on the Imperial gallon, which makes them feel better because they think they are getting better mpg numbers.
OK, I'll bite...What is a hoser/hosehead?
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #22
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
So why not leave the belt off and just drive on to the top of the mountain? As long as you are moving 10mph or faster, there will be plenty of air moving across the fins to adequately cool. Been proven over & over.

I am curious though, do these belts break on Alternators because a generator shouldn't have any tension on the belt to cause it to break.
I would worry about the water pump not turning.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
So why not leave the belt off and just drive on to the top of the mountain? As long as you are moving 10mph or faster, there will be plenty of air moving across the fins to adequately cool. Been proven over & over.
Because today like then people don't always have their system in tip top shape. The art of driving these cars is almost lost. How many times do we hear about drivers that start their cars and move the spark lever all the way down until they need to restart the car. Or how about the choke knob, what else does that knob do?

I'm not saying that happened in this mountain case. We always read incorrect operating procedures and maintenance. We assume (I did) that the "0ld timers" know how to do things.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Early cars and motor vehicles used thermosyphon circulation to move cooling water between their cylinder block and radiator. As engine power increased, increased flow was required and so engine-driven pumps were added to assist circulation. More compact engines then used smaller radiators and required more convoluted flow patterns, so the circulation became entirely dependent on the pump and might even be reversed against the natural circulation. An engine cooled only by thermosiphon is also very sensitive to low coolant level i.e. missing only a small amount of coolant stops the circulation, a pump driven system is much more robust and can handle low coolant level.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #25
modeleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hornbuckle View Post
OK, I'll bite...What is a hoser/hosehead?
Term popularized by Bob and Doug McKenzie in the 80s, a Canadian who enjoys drinking beer, watching hockey and says "eh"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hosers.jpg (55.1 KB, 3 views)
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:58 AM   #26
modeleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefty lefty View Post
Tools are either SAE, Whitworth or metric. There are no Whitworth fasteners on any American or, so far as I know, Canadian car. Unless someone has put on a SU carb, a Laycock de Normanville OD or some such, or they have a V-1650 Packard built Merlin engine shoehorned in there.

American correct spelling is liter, British/ROA (Rest Of Anglosphere) is "litre".
Canada uses its own and somewhat arbitrary hybrid of US and English English meaning I find it more odd linguistically to be in Canada than the UK. In Britain you KNOW what is correct, in Canada it's a guess. Whenever I'm up there I wind up asking the price of "petrol" and so forth making me seem weird to the locals.

Canada used the Imperial gallon, but not such other British units of measure as "stone" for people's weight. "All the women in Calgary weigh nineteen stone" would mystify rather than outrage out of sheer obscurity.
Not sure where you're going with this. I thought I covered the difference in spelling of liter and I never suggested anything about whitworth. Canadians used the term imperial to refer to more than just a gallon of gas, but then again, limeys have a way of feeling superior to the rest of the "colonists"
modeleh is offline   Reply With Quote