Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2018, 09:05 AM   #41
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Unusual cylinder heads

AS for the spark plug location, I think placing it in the center of the transfer area and at the same angle would be ideal for a street engine. The transfer area should extend at lead half way into the cylinder area. With the plug in this location it reduces the flame front , thus limiting the chance of detonation allowing a higher CR with regular gas.

Remember: There must be a reason for making a modification.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #42
Ol' Ron

AS for the spark plug location, I think placing it in the center of the transfer area and at the same angle would be ideal for a street engine. The transfer area should extend at lead half way into the cylinder area. With the plug in this location it reduces the flame front , thus limiting the chance of detonation allowing a higher CR with regular gas.

Remember: There must be a reason for making a modification.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:51 PM   #43
Ian NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
Wonder if the Canadian cast ones with the firing order on were cast initially for military application? Just saying because of the use of flattys in Bren gun carriers that were built in bulk there and other Commonwealth Countries. Probably a great way to remind the army mechanics when they were stuck out in the Desert and had to do a quick fix.....get the firing order all cocked up , with the machine "farting and carrying on", you might just end up with Rommel and the Afrika Korp on your ass. Post WWII use the parts up on Pilots and replacements for 37 -38s cars.

Question were these heads ever "factory" on 37 -38 cars anywhere?

GB
The 77E 6050 heads were cast for wartime issue at Dangenham as the the Ford Pilots and the Thames trader truck chassis produced after the war were fitted with the left over V8 engines and parts which were surplus to the English military division from their two military depots and were not paid for too the Ford Motor Co until they were claimed, and the surplus were then returned to FoMoCo after the war and as far as I know there were no 21 stud V8 engines made at Dangenham after the war. In N.Z we had a good lot of Ford Pilots and Thames Trader trucks arrive here, I do not know if they were imported built up or assembled at FoMoCo, Seaview plant, Lower Hutt here .
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #44
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
The 77E 6050 heads were cast for wartime issue at Dangenham as the the Ford Pilots and the Thames trader truck chassis produced after the war were fitted with the left over V8 engines and parts which were surplus to the English military division from their two military depots and were not paid for too the Ford Motor Co until they were claimed, and the surplus were then returned to FoMoCo after the war and as far as I know there were no 21 stud V8 engines made at Dangenham after the war. In N.Z we had a good lot of Ford Pilots and Thames Trader trucks arrive here, I do not know if they were imported built up or assembled at FoMoCo, Seaview plant, Lower Hutt here .

I wonder why not 24 stud as opposed to 21 stud. After all, the 24 stud flathead V8 was introduced in 1938....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #45
petehoovie

What does the EFV8 Club 1937 Ford Restoration Manual say about these heads with the firing order cast on them???

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote