Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2020, 02:03 AM   #1
Jitters

Default V8 engine potential issues

Hello,

My name is Tom, I'm 31, Manchester resident, an architect, and a motorization madman. That's me.

I'm planning to buy ( allegedly it picking up at the end of September/October) Bullitt 2019. Everything would be beautiful, but I've read too much and I have the impression that V8 models with manual gearbox are problematic. A lot of people are screaming not to buy this model, because the engines are falling (blocks, cylinders, explosions, trailers, aaaaaahhhhh!) and the gearboxes are losing third and fourth gear.

So the questions come up to mind:
How are your engines and manual transmissions?
How long have you driven without serious problems with you V8 because I also see a lot of cars with up to 6000 miles done that are already changing owners (that seems disturbing)?

I will appreciate any information and your honest thoughts on the subject!
Old 07-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: V8 engine potential issues

In the 1967 and 68 time frame when the Bullit Mustangs (2) were built, the bodies were finally getting reinforcement for high performance. The 67 Mustang had one torque box built in and the 68 had them on both sides. The 302 (5.0L) applications were new and the larger FE block applications were well proven so the power was there. 4-speed transmissions were already in the Super T10 and Ford Top Loader categories so they could take the punishment. The heavy duty suspension packages were available but more modern suspension components are available to even make things better.

The late V8 technology like the Coyote 3.0 and larger are brutes compared to the older technology. It's no wonder they have problems with drive train. The horse power output makes the old stuff look tame. They are like the drag race engines built back in the day only they came from the factory that way. A car would have to have a very heavy duty frame, suspension, and drive train to be able to take all that power. Even the old original 68 Mustang would have to be heavily reworked to take that kind of punishment.

It would be interesting to see what Ford did to beef the late Mustangs up for high performance applications. I really haven't studied them that much.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-07-2020 at 01:25 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #3
Marcus

Hi Tom, and welcome to the 'Barn. The level of expertise here is incredible (I don't place myself in that catagory!) - if you type "Bullitt Mustang Forum" into your browser, you will find a wealth of information. There is absolutely no comparison between the '68 Mustangs (I currently own a Hi-Po convertible) and the 2019 (I have driven one). The owner of the Bullitt autocrosses it regularly, and has had only to replace tires and brake pads - to be expected when you punish one. Good luck with your new car!
Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
packrat5
BANNED

Jitters, you have got to find and hang out with some smarter people. Or are they all just chev guys?
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #5
miker98038

Jitters, welcome to the barn.

You can break anything. Big enough tires, enough abuse, you name it. A lot of guys are sometimes called "gold chainers" (for the gold chain they wear to show off) buy hot cars, drive them and dump them.

So, if you're reasonable, even on the track, most new high performance cars will be fine. Those are nice rides, enjoy it.
miker98038 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The local street racers (or rippers) being bored from the CVD 19 lock down have taken to partying in empty warehouse parking lots here in SA. They try harder than any car owners I've ever known to break their cars. Turning pedal to the metal donuts with their cars and just thrashing them to death. Now and then one breaks and it is usually spectacular when it happens.

I though I was crazy when I was kid but we didn't have the resources to be able to tear stuff up like that. We broke stuff now and then but we weren't necessarily trying to break stuff. We were just trying to win the race.

470 horse power in a small car like a Mustang even with a 6-speed, has got to be hard on the body and the drive train. If folks treat them like the kids I mentioned then they will break them sooner than later. The old 390 GT Mustangs were less than 400 HP by a pretty good margin and I don't think they did a lot of upgrading on the cars to make that movie. They had enough power stock to do what they were doing. I guess the Mustang they used for the camera car was shot after they finished filming Bullitt. It ended up in a salvage yard.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-09-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
bobss396

I had a real '68 Bullitt Mustang. 390, 5-speed, Detroit Locker 3.89 rear, Kelsey Hayes front disc brakes, reinforced shock towers. It was a brute of a car and I didn't exactly baby it... racked up lots of speeding tickets. It held up quite well considering. I sold it in 1983 to a guy who restores them, he did a great job on it.

The new ones seem to be fine, drive it like a fool and of course expect to break it like anything else.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
56sedandelivery

Do not know about the later one but I have a 07 GT500 with 704 rwhp and have had no problems with the 6 speed. That being said I do not baby it but have not raced it at a track.
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post
I had a real '68 Bullitt Mustang. 390, 5-speed, Detroit Locker 3.89 rear, Kelsey Hayes front disc brakes, reinforced shock towers. It was a brute of a car and I didn't exactly baby it... racked up lots of speeding tickets. It held up quite well considering. I sold it in 1983 to a guy who restores them, he did a great job on it.

The new ones seem to be fine, drive it like a fool and of course expect to break it like anything else.
curious about where you got a 5 speed in a Mustang you sold in '83
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss396 View Post

"5-speed"??? Are you counting reverse too?
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:17 PM   #11
rotorwrench

Doug Nash was making 5-speeds back in 1974 or 75.