Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-17-2021, 01:35 AM   #1
Eagle43

Default F-1 Wiring Harness Covering

I'm in the process of reinstalling the wiring on my 1952 F-1 after painting the cab. I'm reusing the original harness. The bundles of wires are wrapped in electrical tape. My question is, "Did it come this way from the factory or was some other covering used? If so what would be the correct covering and where can I get it?"
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:55 AM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: F-1 Wiring Harness Covering

There was a fabric loom covering the harness. I'm surprised that your original wiring is still serviceable.

I have not found a house that sells a fabric loom. Plenty of plastic and nylon to be sure.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Ross F-1

NAPA sells a similar product, not exactly the same. It's not a wrap, but a tube, made of asphalt impregnated fabric:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_7...pressionRank=1
Old 11-17-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Bitumin treated fabric loom is available in different sizes but can be a bit more difficult to source than the plastic stuff. The original wiring was the fabric and resin type that likes to turn to dust out in the elements. I'd be worried that the tape was covering problems in the wiring from insulation break down. Hopefully yours is OK.

Modern vinyl covered wire will last longer but getting a correct color code can be harder than finding that tar impregnated fabric loom. A person has to have the correct wire gauge for 6-volt if it's still running that way.

For a 1952 model, it would have to have been sheltered well for all these years since for the wiring to survive. I figure the OPs truck may have had the harness replaced at a date that wasn't so far in the past unless the old truck was cared for better than most.

New harness components are available in reproduction form for most old Fords. This is a summit link. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...SABEgLykPD_BwE

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-17-2021 at 12:12 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:57 PM   #5
Zeke3

The Brillman Company carries the cloth impregnated loom material in various lengths and sizes.
https://brillman.com/?s=loom&post_type=product
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:34 AM   #6
Eagle43

Thank you for the responses. I got this harness and gauges from the same guy who sold me the overdrive and a variety of other parts that I needed. It seems to be serviceable and nicer than what came with the truck. I've done some repairs and am in the process of installing it. I think it will work fine for now. I can always upgrade later.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:37 PM   #7
52flthed

The wiring harness that runs across the fire wall appears to be wrapped in a glossy regular modern black electrical tape. The reproduction one is made like that too.
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:46 PM   #8
52flthed

Here’s a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96BD0AD8-0A72-4967-9E5F-DE2F720102DE.jpg (43.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 11-18-2021, 08:49 PM   #9
FortyNiner

The original harness was mostly wrapped in a fabric loom. A few more exposed sections were covered with the type of impregnated sleeve that others have described.

Based on your descriptions, I would believe that a previous owner replaced the truck's wiring. That is also a very clean looking engine bay - may have had some work done on it as well.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:21 PM   #10
52flthed

Pictured above is the correct wiring harness OEM for 52 Ford trucks. The loom was used in a few places like the crossover wire and tail lights, also an interesting type of net loom was used in the dome light harness. I’ve just had my entire truck rewired with the correct factory type stock wiring.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:59 PM   #11
Don T

Eagle 43 is almost correct in stating his wiring is covered with "electrical tape". Remember this is a Cdn truck and not likely covered with the loom that others have suggested. My M3 wiring was wrapped with black plastic which looks exactly like electrical tape; the difference being there was no adhesive on the back of the "tape". It was simply tied to itself at each end. It is easy to replicate if you start with a wrap (of modern plastic electrical tape) overlapping so that it does not come "undone" and at the end of the wrap clean the adhesive of the last 1/2" or so and glue it to itself with crazy glue; it will not unravel with solvents, oil or water which is what happens when you rely on the electrical tape's adhesive. If the original wiring was out of the sun, away from extreme heat and not sharply bent I think you will find it quite serviceable, I have reinstalled the original harness on two of my vehicles.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:42 PM   #12
49r

My 49 F1 (Canadian) has the original wiring and it is covered in the black electrical tape. Still works well too, although I have a replacement harness which I will get around to fitting at some stage ...
49r is offline   Reply With Quote