Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #1
updraught

Default Roads in the old days Australia

Just in case anyone wants reminding what the roads were like in the old days. Here is a video made this year of a trip to a remote town that was only closed down only in 2014. These are modern 4wd's and it is in our northern Kimberley area. In these sort of conditions in the 20's they often used Thornycroft trucks as they had solid rubber tyres. My father often talked about grass that was higher than the vehicle, and following the telephone poles home, and camel trains. Video is in three parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgk66lQTisY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvRo...83S_2Q&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3etMOIo9eW8

On one of our more remote tracks the Canning Stock Route, a 1915 Rolls Royce was used back in the day. The re-enactment is here:
https://mvec.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/..._june_2014.pdf
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:57 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Roads in the old days Australia

My understanding, limited as it is, is that the railroads in Australia did not want the roads improved for fear of loosing business.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:28 AM   #3
updraught

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
My understanding, limited as it is, is that the railroads in Australia did not want the roads improved for fear of loosing business.

The railroads were built by state governments. In the early days most goods went by ship. One of my ancestors came at the start of the gold rush in 1853 and in 7 years had 7 ships and 7 houses.
Darwin, the main city at the top of Australia did not have a proper road to it till the second world war. Darwin was bombed 63 times by the same force that did Pearl Harbour. Before that there was a track going from water hole to water hole. After the war my father worked on putting a road thru to the Kimberley region from Darwin. Camel trains were used up to the 60's as many stations, that's farms, in the inland had no roads to them. Keep in mind that 80 percent of the country is desert, outback, and very few people live there even now.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
700rpm

Madness!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #5
nkaminar

For those muddy river crossings, why not tie the vehicles together with 6 foot poles, front to rear? Trailer hitches on the front and back. That way, instead of 4 wheel drive, a convoy of 6 would become 24 wheel drive.
Old 10-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #6
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
For those muddy river crossings, why not tie the vehicles together with 6 foot poles, front to rear? Trailer hitches on the front and back. That way, instead of 4 wheel drive, a convoy of 6 would become 24 wheel drive.
That would take all the fun and adventure out of it. My concern would be more about the environmental damage and possible destruction of wildlife habitat, as well as sacred aboriginal sites.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #7
Synchro909

There are plenty who do this for fun now bet back in the day, it was a necessity - and the vehicles weren't as good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9FFbXfY34
Old 10-10-2021, 07:58 PM   #8
nkaminar

We have similar 4 wheel drive back roads here in the States in the national parks. The Toyotas shown in the videos given by Updraught would not fit. Only small Jeeps are allowed. You have to get a reservation a year in advance. We watched some Jeeps negotiate some tight places in Canyon Land. The switchback turns are too tight to turn in so you have to back to the next tight turn. The group we watched were going to camp out for a few days. You have to carry everything out, even poop. Much more regulated and controlled.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #9
updraught

The north of Australia is tropical and gets a huge deluge of rain in the wet season so the creek crossings change year to year. The roads and tracks can become rivers too.
Inland is more sand dunes. I've attached a picture of an early Birdsville mail car. It would go station to station over hundreds of sand dunes.

I looked up that Canyonland National Park. It looks spectacular.

Yeah, the 4wds tend to be big as, depending on where you go, you need to be self sufficient. Hence the multiple fridges, battery charging system, tools, spares, two spare wheels, recovery gear and camping gear. Some Toyotas are 200 series Landcruisers with the rear cut off behind the back seat and a tray put on. Then a cabin is added. Well decked out, they can get up to the A$250,000 mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg postman.jpg (43.9 KB, 67 views)
Old 10-12-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
Synchro909

Updraught, I bet that guy took a biiig run up at that dune.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:08 PM   #11
ursus

I am curious about that Australian road malady called "bull dust". How did early drivers and vehicles deal with it?
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:29 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I am curious about that Australian road malady called "bull dust". How did early drivers and vehicles deal with it?
This will give you some idea but years ago, the roads were so rough that when you hit a pothole full of bull dust, you couldn't see it and you'd hit it at speed and maybe destroy your vehicle. The road was covered in dust and the full hole looked just like the road. There used to be many dead vehicles left on the side of the road after they were damaged and they were too far from civilization to retrieve them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-LVrNCuIs
Old 10-13-2021, 12:29 AM   #13
updraught

I don't think the open cars we had here in the 20's were that great in the dust. They went out of fashion pretty quick.
These days when the Birdsville races are on and the town goes from about 40 to 9000 people they put little flags on the road to show where the pot holes are.
The best thing about the Birdsville races (motto "Beer and Bull Dust"), apart from the camel pies, is Fred Brophy's Boxing Tent. Straight out of the 1920's that one. Anyone in the crowd can have a go.
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...82f90ee?page=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD7-AG3vBEY
Old 10-13-2021, 06:37 AM   #14
nkaminar

Australia is a special place. I visited there many many years ago. All the people were super nice. I brought some beer from California to share. They just laughed at me. Same thing happened when I brought some California wine to Italy.

My friend John Pond visited there about the same time. The Australians had a great time with his name.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:21 PM   #15
ericr

wow! we always read here that everyting over there is trying to kill you but I never guessed the highwys were in on the act.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:25 PM   #16
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
wow! we always read here that everyting over there is trying to kill you but I never guessed the highwys were in on the act.
Please explain as I’ve never read that!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:42 AM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
When we were staying with friends just north of your border with Canada a few years ago in a remote and mountainous area, our host gave us strict instructions on what to do and not do if we came across a bear. It all sounded pretty nasty but when they came to visit here, he had a similar belief about things trying to kill us. I told him what to do if he came across a venomous spider. I stomped my foot on the ground and said "End of problem!" Can't do that with a bear!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:31 PM   #18
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Please explain as I’ve never read that!
oh it is just a series of comic posts that appear on the 'net showing pics of crocodiles, poisonous spiders and fish that exist in or are unique to Australia. If you search for "dangerous animals in Australia" or the like you will see dozens of posts.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #19
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When we were staying with friends just north of your border with Canada a few years ago in a remote and mountainous area, our host gave us strict instructions on what to do and not do if we came across a bear. It all sounded pretty nasty but when they came to visit here, he had a similar belief about things trying to kill us. I told him what to do if he came across a venomous spider. I stomped my foot on the ground and said "End of problem!" Can't do that with a bear!
as is often true in discussing our friends and allies, you guys probably know more about us than we know about you. I would state without much contradiction that Australia is very popular throughout the US.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:25 PM   #20
Synchro909

Quote:
as is often true in discussing our friends and allies, you guys probably know more about us than we know about you. I would state without much contradiction that Australia is very popular throughout the US.
Thanks Eric. When my wife and I have been travelling in the US, we are often asked "Where are you folks from?" by people who notice our accents. (To us, you guys have the accent.) When we tell them "Australia", there is always a warm response. Kinda makes us feel special and welcome. I don't know how many times I have heard that the person we are speaking with has always wanted to go to Australia but "It's so far away". My usual reply is something like: "It's about the same distance as it was for us to come here for you to go there, yet here we are. You should really make the effort."
While the two countries are very similar, they are very different in many ways too so a visitor from the US wouldn't feel like they were total strangers but things are different enough to be interesting to them. That's what we found going to opposite way.