Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
ctvpa

Default facebook

Any idea why the new MAFCA facebook site was closed?
https://www.facebook.com/#%21/pages/...650546?fref=ts
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
ctvpa

Default Re: facebook

From MAFCA
"The site is on a temporary hold until a few issues can be worked out. Should be back up in a few days."
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Happy

The MAFCA Facebook page is back up and running. The page is open for viewing by anyone, but you must join Facebook and "Like" the page to be able to post comments or photos. Please do not post any advertising or technical information, as they will be removed. The page is for world wide outreach to those who have an interest in the Model A hobby through posting of photos and encouraging dialogue between enthusiasts. Here is the link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/modelafordclubofamerica
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Roadster62

I may be too old to understand "FaceBook"How can it be seen without joining?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
billwill

Ive hear nothing but bad about facebook too parsonal Ive nothing
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
700rpm

I don't trust Facebook. And I decline to engage with any organization through Facebook, and definitely if they require that I join FB and "like" them. I think this is a misguided move by MAFCA.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
SDJason

Folks - if you don't want to join Facebook, fine - there's always MAFCA's website as a resource as well...
SDJason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
DougVieyra

Default facebook - 'Cookie" and unsolicted 'junk mail'

I was set to 'join' ('like') MAFCA's 'Face Book', until I read the info about 'Cookies' and the unlimited 'junk' mail that it will send to your email 'in' box. No thank you ! ! !
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
Karl

I'm sorry I don't get facebook .
My kids are into it big time but for me it just seems like a big waste of time. Maybe I'm just old ( 49 years and 346 days ) or antisocial. If you're into it good luck it's just not for me -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJason View Post
Folks - if you don't want to join Facebook, fine - there's always MAFCA's website as a resource as well...
Which begs the question, "Why have a Facebook page?"

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Roadster62

Is the website and FaceBook the SAME or two different things? If you join the website and post are you infected with the FaceBook crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Which begs the question, "Why have a Facebook page?"
Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #12
Arlen

I've had Facebook for years. Completely safe. Not sure what your talking about as far as junk email. I've never received an email from anything to do with Facebook and the page can only have as much personal info on it as you put on it. MAFCA's facebook is just a place where Model A people can share pics of recent tour photos etc with other Model A lovers. If you don't like it, that's fine but its harmless.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
I've had Facebook for years. Completely safe. Not sure what your talking about as far as junk email. I've never received an email from anything to do with Facebook and the page can only have as much personal info on it as you put on it. MAFCA's facebook is just a place where Model A people can share pics of recent tour photos etc with other Model A lovers. If you don't like it, that's fine but its harmless.

True statement. I find it amusing how people just assume that everything they hear is true, especially the bad stuff. The only emails I get from Facebook are to let me know when someone has made a comment on one of my photos, or left a Happy Birthday message on my page, etc... And I could turn off those notifications if I wanted.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
grapp

Facebook is harmless... For MAFCA, it is all about free exposure. As an example, I have liked their "page" as they post I see there post or updates, therefore my friends can see their posts on my page, so they reached me, and by extension 300 of my friends. You almost can't buy that leverage in the advertizing world. For the health of MAFCA or MARC they need to be on facebook as it is here to stay and may be what brings another wave of people coming into the hobby! It's all good.
grapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapp View Post
...For the health of MAFCA or MARC they need to be on facebook as it is here to stay and may be what brings another wave of people coming into the hobby! It's all good.
Absolutely agree - if you want to engage with folks under the age of 35, having a presence on Facebook is pretty much a given. Who do you think will be taking care of your Model As in a couple of decades? It won't be today's 80 year olds...
SDJason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
joe plumber

I have been on fb since the beginning .Not one problem .Met some of my Marine Corps buddies on it .It is what you make it .It's kind of like computers when they first came out ,most everyone was scared of them and didn't want anything to do with them. jmo
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
QGolden

No problems with Facebook. Some elements of it frustrate me a bit, but then again some elements of Windows do too. Not to mention some elements of Grocery Stores, Banks, and the DMV. If you want to attract a younger generation and interact with them, if MAFCA is going to evolve and perpetuate then Social Media is one of the tools that you do it with.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
BudP

I have been on Facebook for a year. Sold one of my extra cars on it last month. Just this week a guy I was in the Marines with in the 1960's connected with me through Facebook. We had not talked since 1971 and we communicating via email or phone almost every day now.
I have received no junk mail because of Facebook. Additionally, as mentioned above, the younger generation in my large, extended family is taking an interest in the cars on my Facebook page.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
Roadster62

Since you can't see what FaceBook is without joining could someone please explain what it it is?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #20
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Since you can't see what FaceBook is without joining could someone please explain what it it is?
If you are a member it is not unlike the Barn here, but allows the connection to multiple sites at once. On your page you would receive feeds and comments from multiple sources and individuals. All of which you can control. One nice thing about it, unlike a forum, if you don't like the material that someone continues to post, you can simply "unfriend" them and never hear from them again. You pick and choose who you want to hear from, As in all "free" services you have to put up with some "recommended" friends, or pages you "may like". But they are easy to ignore, especially on a computer screen. A bit more of a nuseince on a tablet.

You set up a page, control who sees it, pick whom you want to communicate with and what they can see on your page. As you post your photos and comments, your friends can see them, as they reply, you can see their photos and comments.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote