Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #21
allison-tech

Thumbs up Re: Treasure found in my Tudor!

Hey guys, thanks for the great advice. I did check out the e-bay auctions and was amazed! I think I need to have this thing graded, it really looks a little better than the one going for $1200. Ya know, I've never been a "lucky" guy, Mr. Murphy lives on my doorstep and most anything I ever got, was purchased w/good 'ol fashioned sweat; I'm not complaining, that's just the way it is, so at this point I'm still pretty apprehensive about the whole situation, I'll let ya'll know how this turns out.
allison-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 AM   #22
Jason in TX

Default Re: Treasure found in my Tudor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bass View Post
this lighter was found above the windshield in the wooden header

http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemoranband?_mSplash=1
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:27 AM   #23
allison-tech

WOW!!! I hope Al sees this! That lighter has some real interesting history. You should be a detective.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:57 AM   #24
dave in australia

Not in a model A, but in an old valiant ute I picked up and was dissmantling for spares for my other ute, I was getting a few parts from the engine bay. Out of the corner of my eye was some movement in the windscreen plenum, there was a rust hole between the plenum and the engine bay, common for valiants. I looked closer, and being a foolhardy Aussie, poked it the strange looking thing with my finger. It suddenly moved, and so did I in the opposite direction. I poked a snake that had coiled up in the heater box/plenum area. I told my neighbor who then got in the car with the snake and pulled it out of its 'house'. It was a five foot python and very angry about being disturbed. It got released into the local bush area, the only find I've never kept.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by allison-tech View Post
Yesterday, I removed all..&..found a quarter...a 1916...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
eBay..

Indeed a lucky discovery! Congrats, it sure makes one wonder how much stuff like that happens, and how often it's overlooked. I've found many things in old cars over the years - tools, change, girlie mags - and a couple of joints under the dashboard of a '65 Mustang...

re: eBay? It's a great barometer of the market for used items. But often, people use the asking price vice actual selling price - to determine value. To me, value is only as much as stuff sells for, and not what people would like to get for their 'treasures'.

Man, I don't know what your financial situation is, but IMO, I think I'd clean up that quarter and keep it to display with the car; it's as much a part of the car's provenance as anything else that came with it.

GREAT FIND, keep us updated on your decision!

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #26
darrylkmc

We had a similar thread last month:

"Money found in cars"

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51397

I posted this:

I found a Old Timer pocket knife, and a Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce bottle with a partial paper label describing how to cook rabbit with the glass stopper and the cork and a Model A carb in my 1926 Chevrolet Touring.

In my Phaeton I found several pre-war nickles, a dime and some misc. hardware.
I have it all in a container I'll look it over and see just what all I got.

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #27
Jason in TX

I bet rabbit cooked with a Model A carb would be tasty. Especially for someone on a HIGH CARB DIET!!!

HEY OHH!! Thank you! Good night! Remember to tip your wait staff!!
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
t42

I have found so many different things over the years that I have probably forgotten most them. I have a small jar with about 10 indian head pennies, a few teens era nickles and dimes, but the best was a 1902, $2-1/2 Dollar gold piece wedged in the wooden seat frame of a 1904 vehicle 35 years ago. At first I thought it was a penny. Always search every nook and cranny, you never know what will turn up.
t42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #29
cheepsk8

Wonder how long the poor guy looked for that quarter way back then? That was a pretty good chunk of change! Found a really nice buffalo nickel and a mercury dime in a 38 chevy I built some years ago. Its a real treat to get just a little more for your money.
cheepsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
bobpo

Aw NUTS, that's all I found in mine........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Nuts.jpg (34.2 KB, 10 views)
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #31
ryan1929

Im Shocked no one said they found a Tommy Gun with Bonnie & Clydes fingerprints on it with a suitcase full of money.... Most everyone heer at FordBarn seem's Honest...Thats Great News....Cause you know as luck should have it...The other day I Found Henry Ford's Wallet in my back seat......LOL
ryan1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #32
Keith True

When I worked in a junkyard in 1976 we bought a lot of Boston police cruisers.I guess they were supposed to pull the back seat cushions after a shift,I think some of them didn't get pulled for months.Rolls of money,knives,guns,drugs,jewelry,keys,womens underpants(never really figured that one out)wallets,and more drugs.Funny part was,if I pulled a bag of weed out from under a seat,I would go in and throw it on the bench in the garage.All we could think of were piranah fish,a bunch of guys,a cloud of dust,and nothing on the bench.Pills and powder we tossed in the stove or on the copper burn pile.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #33
bobpo

Ryan, I'll give you 5 bucks for that wallet IF you leave the contents intact. AND, it has to be authenticized by an authentesist who has credentials. I will also pay for reasonable mailing, if they don't close the post office in the region from whereit is being mailed from.

Don't forget the i's, the t's, and the heretofors and whereases.......
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #34
ryan1929

Just $5 Bucks....Remember This Is The Real Deal How About $10??? LOL
ryan1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #35
FL&WVMIKE

I can't tell why anyone would think this is 1916, other than wishful thinking. I see no date. Looks like to me, it is gone.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #36
Keith True

Somebody knew something,it brought $900. I wouldn't have a clue.I know some things are dated by the design.I would look for a date on a coin myself.I have an old Winchester rifle,picked it up somewhere when I was a kid.Just an old lever action rifle to me.My uncle,who is a gun dealer,told me years ago to hang onto it.He knew it had some value but not how much.He said a specialized collector of them would know.He sent a couple of guys over one day that dealt in them,there was no date,but they knew almost to the day when it was made.Screw heads in a certain shape,script in a certain way,placed in a special way,they showed me a dozen things on it to date it.I didn't take the $3500.or so they offered me,either my uncle or grandfather had gotten me the gun for something like 15 bucks around 69-70.I shot my first deer with it,it has ridden around behind my seats,under my seats,in the back of the trucks,for years it laid across the top of my backrest in my 30 pickup.It could have been stolen a thousand times but the thought here is if a fellow has a gun,has another one.It is now at least kept in the house.My ex's father was an antique dealer,the value of old beat,broken,worn-out,junk can be sky-high.That quarter,to me,is worth a quarter.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #37
FL&WVMIKE

Keith True ......................
I had, almost, the same experience. I had bought, years ago, an old Winchester level action rifle. It had no finish, but shot well. It turned out that this Model 94 Winchester had a low serial number and was made in 1894. It was a first year production. That didn't make it worth a fortune, but it was definately more interesting !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 AM   #38
darrylkmc

"Jason in TX
Re: Treasure found in my Tudor!
I bet rabbit cooked with a Model A carb would be tasty. Especially for someone on a HIGH CARB DIET!!!"

My Quote
"I found a Old Timer pocket knife, and a Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce bottle with a partial paper label describing how to cook rabbit with the glass stopper and the cork and a Model A carb in my 1926 Chevrolet Touring."

Never really thought this through before... Pocket Knife, Lea & Perrins, Rabbit, High Carbs. There might be something to this....

Darryl in Fairbanks - 30 degrees here
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:57 AM   #39
allison-tech

Ya know Kieth, I feel the same way, to me it's just a quarter and if it hadn't been for my boy, I'd never know anything different. My heart wants to keep it with the car, like others have stated, it is a part of the cars history. However, I am still a young man with a wife & six kids at home and if someone really wants to pay what I'm seeing on the ebay site, well, I guess it'll probably end up in someone else's collection. I'm learning what it takes to get a coin graded. Apparently, I'm going to need to send it off w/a 30.00 check to accomplish this. I really want to keep it, but I could help our family better if I let it go. Still, a definite decision hasn't been made & I will keep all informed when one is. I'm really enjoying all of ya'll experiences, so far, I think Dave in the land down under has the show stopper! WOW! Glad that wasn't me!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #40
dr.j

A 8" rusty nail; but on a positive note, the rattle in the door is gone.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote