Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
eagle

Default '28 multidisc clutch

What is the advantages of replacing the early multidisc clutch with the newer single disc? Does the multidisc work well?
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: '28 multidisc clutch

Multi-disc works fine, I have one. It can be hard to find a good condition flywheel without worn out grooves in it. Advantage would be cheaper clutch plates and easier installation of clutch.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
What is the advantages of replacing the early multidisc clutch with the newer single disc? Does the multidisc work well?
It does work well, but in a short time, as the dust comes off the clutch plates, it starts pluging some of the plates, and starts loosing some of its efficiency. I would change over the the single disk, and if your car came out with that clutch, always keep all Original parts with your care for the next Guys in the next 100 years. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Tom Endy

The multi-disk clutch works very well and I believe it is superior to the single disk clutch. If your car has one I would not change it out. Usable parts are still around and a clutch shop can replace the material on the disks. The difficult part to find is a flywheel with grooves that are not worn out. You also need some type of alignment tool to line the clutch pack up so it can be inserted into the flywheel.

There is an article about rebuilding the multi-disk clutch posted on our club's web site that may help you.

Go to www.ocmafc.com and in the left menu click on "tech articles". A new menu will come up and at the top is my name, click on it and it will bring up a list of articles. Scroll down to "multi-disck clutch" and click on it.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 PM   #5
Farrell In Vancouver

I have to go along with the general opinion that they are very good clutches. I am on my second year with the multi-plate and its sill pulling fine. I would not have gone this way if it had not been for Tom Endy's tech article. The info I recieved was pretty negative before I built the clutch, but having a ton of experience with motorcycle clutches and Tom's in depth guide, I thought what the hell, lets try it. As said above, its important to get a good fly-wheel. I pulled it apart four times as it would not work. Then remembered I had a spare stored away in far better shape. Once exchanged the clutch works wonderfully and is very smooth in engagement as compared to the single plate. I plan to pull it down next year to fix a drip on the transmission, and I'll inspect the clutch for free plates and wear but so far and approx five K it still work great.
Last item, making the jig for the plate alignment was a snap once you see how simple they are. Good luck with your build no matter which way you go!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
eagle

I have a '29 with the single disc but I have heard people talk so negatively about the multi disc that I wondered what you all thought. I was watching an old Model A video and they were showing assembly of the engine and the multidisc clutch. Thought it looked interesting. In theory multi disc is a good idea, just wondered what the general opinion here was.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
glenn in camino

The rebuilt multiple disk clutch and the excellent splined flywheel in my 28 tudor works better and smoother than any clutch I've ever had. They were used in the Lincolns too.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
Fred
BANNED

My 28 has one and works GREAT !!.. The TRICK is the Fly-Wheel, not so much the clutch pack.. The splines have to be in very good condition.. This means ALL bearings & shafts are in excellent condition from the fly wheel right thru the tranny.. P.S. Also no engine sag !!..STRAIGHT ON !!..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #9
binkbee

I have a transmission with a very good clutch ass. and a super-good flywheel is anyone is in need ! [southern Kentucky] [email protected]
binkbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Jim Parker Toronto

I have one in my 28 Roadster, works great! 12 years, 10,000 miles and not a problem. Smoooth.... P.S. I have a good flywheel, but the shipping would kill you!
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:46 PM   #11
Bisket42

Do you still have that good Multi-Disk Flywheel?

Jerry
Jacksonville, Florida
904-236-0128
Bisket42 is offline   Reply With Quote