Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
karasmer

Default Fun with scammers

Wow I am getting bombarded by scammers from selling on Craigslist, they always want to know my name and address so today i am Rumple Stiltskin, waiting for the checks I won't deposit, figured time to make the scammers pay a little and piss them off, yesterday I was Butsky Numnutz.
karasmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Fun with scammers

hahaha FYI if I ever get someone who seems legit but theres a doubt in my mind or their being suspicious I always say we can meet at my local police stations parking lot. Or state police parking lot, or I mention a very busy gas station and inform them there is always an officer stopping by on break.

IF they are legit and have nothing to hide the police shouldn't scare em off, as a buyer of craigslist stuff id prefer to meet at a police station or high traffic area. Tactic has saved me numerous times where someone was a bit too urgent with wanting to meet me at my house right then and there to buy what I'm selling. IF the item is transportable tell them to meet at the police station and see what happens. They they start making up excuses why they cant ignore them and move to the next buyer.

I wouldn't give them your address either, give your local police departments address with a clearly fake name and if they send it there they may be tracked to find the source of the scam.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Just be careful you don't get involved with a virus sent to you by the scammers. Much better to avoid them rather than engage them. You have everything to Lise and nothing to gain. You are playing Russian roulette ! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
denis4x4

I posted a car for sale on Woody Times and got a flakey response. Responded with a snarky reply....long story short...I was able to eat humble pie and salvaged a six figure sale. You just never know.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
1crosscut

Had a scammer trying to get my address so he could send me a check for some AA parts I had on Craigslist a while back.
Just for fun I offered the parts to him for free and he suddenly lost interest.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:01 PM   #6
Bruce Adams

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
This wealthy Nigerian Prince just wanted to share his wealth. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1454281286182.jpg (19.4 KB, 111 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
Dodge

I'm starting a section of a wall with checks. I had one made out to "Ivan Yackinoff",
"Harry Balz", "I.P. Freely" and "Mike Keester".
Two of the checks were signed by the same person drawn on two separate Banks and
Certified was spelled wrong on both of them.
Fun with Spammers.....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:01 AM   #8
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
I'm starting a section of a wall with checks. I had one made out to "Ivan Yackinoff",
"Harry Balz", "I.P. Freely" and "Mike Keester".
Two of the checks were signed by the same person drawn on two separate Banks and
Certified was spelled wrong on both of them.
Fun with Spammers.....
Obviously you gave an address to receive a check. Do you think this was wise ? Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 04-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
Keith True

I collected a bunch of checks a few years ago.I wanted to see if I could become a millionaire,but they blackballed me at around $200,000.I have not gotten one of those offers in years.I had fun doing it,I would tell them that they had to get the money to me right off.The Fedex overnight guy always got a kick out of the names on the envelopes.Herman Munster,Al Bundy,Axel Hall,Elliot Ness,DR Ben Dover,and a few others.I've been selling and buying stuff since I was a kid,and my grandfather did it all his life too.I can't imagine not having people come over to look at stuff,or not wanting to go to look at stuff.In the last few years I have talked to a few people that grew up insulated from life,that wanted me to bring something to a public place to meet them.I've actually had guys want me to load a car on a trailer and bring it to a parking lot for them to look at.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:12 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

My father often said that if you play with fire often enough, you will get burned ! Think about it. What do you have to gain by playing games with criminals ? Wayne.

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 04-06-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:35 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Same as Keith for me. I've only had a couple people want to meet at a public place, and that was to make the trip shorter for me, or to make the meeting place easier to find.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I don't give them the time of day let alone answer them back...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
Rene R

While it can be fun to mess around with these scammers and collect fake checks, there are risks. These are criminals, and they have your address. While the odds of them retaliating against you are relatively small, there is a risk. Check out this article: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/S...vice=phone&c=y

That was someone messing with "IRS" scammers but the bottom line is the same: sometimes the scammers fight back. Printing and Fedexing fake checks costs them money, and they don't like losing money. They only like stealing it.

There are large communities of people who 'bait' scammers -- check out 419eater.com -- but they are adamant on one point: bait safely. Fake email address, fake name, nothing that can lead back to you personally.
Rene R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #14
Keith True

A few years ago a n FBI agent with the 419 task force told me that it costs those guys about 39 pounds sterling to put that envelope in my hands.All those Nigerian scams seem to route through the UK.He told me how there were people sitting in mud huts peddling on an exercise bike with an alternator attached to power their computer.He also told me how many different scams were done by one person,he said that is why I got blackballed.I think my last check is from 03.Overall though,I just don't make a good victim.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #15
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
A few years ago a n FBI agent with the 419 task force told me that it costs those guys about 39 pounds sterling to put that envelope in my hands.All those Nigerian scams seem to route through the UK.He told me how there were people sitting in mud huts peddling on an exercise bike with an alternator attached to power their computer.He also told me how many different scams were done by one person,he said that is why I got blackballed.I think my last check is from 03.Overall though,I just don't make a good victim.
also if you ever give away to anyone besides someone you know personally a cell phone or computer - even if it doesnt work - remove the harddrive and remove the platters and physically destroy them. how do you think these nigerian scammers got computers in the first place? many of these recycle or donation centers just cram all sorts of e-waste into cargo containers - ship them to 3rd world countries where there is no EPA or govt that cares about its people and they open burn, bury, or toss in lakes and rivers your old junk.

telemarketers are my great past time if im not doing anything is to try to sell them things off TV - when they call start flipping thru channels till some ad comes on for micracle blade or flex seal and try to sell it to them
Old 04-07-2016, 01:21 AM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

About 10 years ago, at office, I used to get multiple, similar money deposit fax deals from Nigeria.

Reported same a few times to the FBI ...... the FBI agents were not at all interested and told me to ignore them .... did just that & quit getting them.

Later, at office, used to get about (1) or (2) foreign telemarketers calls a week from foreign countries, but with out-of state phone numbers ..... answer only with hello ...... never my name ..... they ask for me by name ..... I tell them they have the wrong number ..... they reply with sorry ..... far less calls today.

Selling identity information appears profitable today.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:26 AM   #17
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene R View Post
While it can be fun to mess around with these scammers and collect fake checks, there are risks. These are criminals, and they have your address. While the odds of them retaliating against you are relatively small, there is a risk. Check out this article: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/S...vice=phone&c=y

That was someone messing with "IRS" scammers but the bottom line is the same: sometimes the scammers fight back. Printing and Fedexing fake checks costs them money, and they don't like losing money. They only like stealing it.

There are large communities of people who 'bait' scammers -- check out 419eater.com -- but they are adamant on one point: bait safely. Fake email address, fake name, nothing that can lead back to you personally.
I understand that even replying (read baiting) can give them your IP address.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:24 AM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Its not a matter of will you get burned but a matter of when? If will happen. Wayne
Old 04-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #19
ronn

I posted a car for sale on Woody Times and got a flakey response. Responded with a snarky reply....long story short...I was able to eat humble pie and salvaged a six figure sale. You just never know.

Me too! had a guy write me from Australia for a 31 chevy coupe- his name,
John Brown. This was a few years back. He offered me full price and I just knew this was BS.

Turns out I wrote him, he was legit and he bought the coupe, so dont be too hasty
to cast these "scammers" off.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #20
CarlG

The one that is plaguing me lately is the Car Warranty people. I swear I get 4 or 5 calls a week from several different area codes all trying to pitch the "your warranty is about to expire (or has expired) on your Lincoln". That is if they ever come on the line. A lot of the time I can recognize the same voice, even though caller ID shows they are calling from Atlanta, Chicago, Kentucky, or wherever. I have asked them "which car?" and then tell them I don't own one. Once or twice they then have asked what I do own, when I tell them it's a 1931 Ford Pickup, they just hang up. But never fear, 2 days later they are back.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote