Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Photos from the Peter Tommasini metal shaping class incl. Model A fender repairs

As anyone who has been in the classes of Peter Tommasini, you will attest to his level of skill and willingness and ability to share that knowledge. If you ever get a chance to attend you will NOT be disappointed. Peter and I are already discussing the possibility of two consecutive classes here next year. Keep that in mind. Most of the recent attendees have expressed an interest in attending another one next year. Great stuff!! For those of you that think you might know a lot, and would not benefit from this class, you should consider that you do not know what you do not know. From my own perspective, I was able to piece together other information that I have picked up along the way and make a coherent thought from the things Peter shared. There was MUCH, MUCH to be learned regarding English wheel design and fabrication in addition to how to use the wheel. We learned many things not usually considered possible with the English wheel.

PeterClasThu 001.jpg

PeterClasThu 001a.jpg

PeterClasThu 005.jpg

PeterClasThu 007.jpg

PeterClasThu 009.jpg

PeterClasThu 013.jpg

PeterClasThu 020.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 10-01-2015 at 11:02 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
ctlikon0712

Default Re: Photos from the Peter Tommasini metal shaping class incl. Model A fender repairs

Great pics, thanks for posting!
Old 09-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
jeep44

Default Re: Photos from the Peter Tommasini metal shaping class incl. Model A fender repairs

I wish I had the room for some of that metal-working equipment!
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

Did you need a crane to set the english wheel?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #5
RockHillWill

More pics from the meet. Several folks passed on this class, thinking that it would be too advance, being taught by Peter. Of the 8 attendees, 6 had never been to a metal shaping class and four of the eight have 'pre-signed' for another similar class next year.

Peters3 001.jpg

Peters3 002.jpg

Peters3 004.jpg

Peters3 007.jpg

Peters3 008.jpg

Peters3 009.jpg

Peters3 011.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-29-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:50 PM   #6
JohnB15632

How does someone sign up for these classes?
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
RockHillWill

John, the classes have been VERY well received. If you are truly interested, please PM me with contact info, and I will contact you at the end of July or August next year. We already have 4-5 committed attendees for a class next year.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
RockHillWill

More pictures.

NOTE: Any stories that you hear about five chickens being trained to line up and take turns laying eggs in a basket outside our back porch door are TRUE. Pics to follow at a later date.

PetersClass4 001.jpg

PetersClass4 001b.jpg

PetersClass4 002a.jpg

PetersClass4 004.jpg

PetersClass4 009.jpg

PetersClass4 011.jpg

PetersClass4 006.jpg

True story: we had just broken for lunch and went to Subway to eat. We were all pretty dirty and disheveled from the mornings work, and just after my wife took this picture, another lady came up behind her and said "that's a nice thing you are doing, I feed the homeless once in a while myself"

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-29-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
RockHillWill

The response to this years tour of classes has been so well received that at dinner last night, Peter and I discussed have two classes in succession next year.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:47 AM   #10
Wick

I enjoyed the Pictures Will.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Logan

I had a lot of fun at this class, and if my finances will allow it I will be back again next year without any hesitation. Thank you again Will for being a great host, and letting us all come in and dissorganize your shop for you.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #12
RockHillWill

Thanks, Wick. I hope you are enjoying your retirement. You know that gives you more time to come see me.

Logan, you are MORE than welcome. Everyone is willing to pass on information to someone such as yourself, that has a brain, ability and a good attitude. We all enjoyed having you. I will look for your pieces today, and perhaps get started on the service brake cross shafts tomorrow.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #13
d.j. moordigian

Will,
In the first photo,..the home made machine, kinda like a Yoder?
d.j. moordigian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Will, you sure have a nice workshop and a lot of nice tools. Looks like I could learn a lot there.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
RockHillWill

D.J.: Thank you, I have designed and made that machine. It is a power hammer, and it has worked out well.

Tom: As we have discussed before, you are welcome at any time, my friend. I will share what ever I can.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Looks like a great time, full on knowledge and learning.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Brentwood Bob

Kind of a special place.
This is on my list.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #18
Wick

My plans are to come down and visit next year.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM   #19
woodlot1

Will, I would like to attend the next class you have on metal shaping with Peter. Please send me the info on when where and time.

Paul
woodlot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:17 PM   #20
RockHillWill

Paul.

As I mentioned, Peter is very interested in not only coming back to Rock Hill, he has mentioned that he would like to host two consecutive classes next year. His USA schedule is generally in September and October, but the classes get scheduled around June and July. As it stands now, 6 of the 8 recent attendees have asked to be put on the list as well as 3 from this site, so a second class is more than likely.

If you will be so kind as to PM with your name and contact info, I am keeping a list of priority contacts for next year. Before Peter left for the airport, we tentatively made arrangements for his cast iron English wheels and 'hand built' tools to be imported to a South Carolina port and stored here in Rock Hill. http://www.handbuilt.net.au/
I do not expect anything to be settled for another 3-4 months. This year the class was 4-days long, scheduled for 8:00 AM to 5:00 Pm, but most of us came back from dinner and worked 'till late. Lunch and sheet metal were provided. The class covered the use of a wooden stump and hand tools in addition to the English wheels. By doing this, it makes you MUCH better using the powered tools.