Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
abbie

Default Y block distributor

I am running a 292, 55 block, I think 312 heads, small Holley 4 bl in a 1954 Mercury. I am trying to run the 54 distributor. The timing seems to advance too quick and cause the car to hisitate. It is getting the gas but doesn't know what to do with it. I read on previous posts that these distributors run best with the original carb, which has been changed and gone. What distributor should I be looking for or how can I maybe convert this one on the car? As you go down te road it will rock you a little, no top end to speak of. thanks in advance. I am still 6 volt.
Abbie
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Y block distributor

The '54/55 distributor is a Load-o-matic and has vacuum advance only which is designed to work with your original carburetor. With the later carb you should use the distributor from a '57 up that has both vacuum and mechanical advance.
By the way "312 heads" is a misnomer. There are no 312 specific heads. Well, except for maybe the ones on the F code cars.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-28-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Noswal

X2 on what Mr Blockhead said. When you change the distributor, you will need to change the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft to the later model. Makes a lot of difference in driveability with the later distributor.
Noswal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Ole Don

Often, a parts man cant find a distributor for a car that old. Try looking up one for a 64 F100. If the oil pump drive shaft in your engine has six sides, run it.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

I'm thinking by '55 they had the hex shaft.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
49merclover

i have a 312 distributor. if you are interested.
49merclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
abbie

thanks to all. I looked on line at NAPA for a 292 or 272 distributor. they have them. (When you change the distributor, you will need to change the oil pump and oil pump drive shaft to the later model)??????? Y block mentioned this. I just want a distributor with vacum and centrifical advance. The one for a 57 wouldn't work unless I change the Oil pump and drive???
Is the 312 ready to install? Can i just drop it in???
Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
rick55

The 55 distributor used a hex drive. You are better off with late model distributor not 57. The 57 had a plate supported on bearings with a straight arm on the vacuum canister. These are a good distributor but the advance mechanism is hard and costly to replace. You also cannot convert these distributors to pertronix or accell electronics as these units foul the vacuum canister arm. The distributor you want is for 59-64.
We are all presuming you are using a later Holley and manifold or adaptor.
Regards

1958 Ford Mainline Utility, 1955 Ford Tudor Sedan

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
abbie

Thanks for the info Rick. To the best I can figue it is a 1955 292 block. Would a 59-64 distributor fit right in???
Old 04-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
rick55

If the oil pump is already a hex drive it will. The 54 had a tang drive. Let's hope when they fit the 292 they used the later oil pump and distributor. When you pull your old distributor you will know. The later oil pump and hex drives are readily available.
Regards

Quote:
Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.
Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Daves55Sedan

If it is a 292 engine, the oil pump and hex shaft do not need to be changed if you just want to drop in a '57 distributor. Its a simple swap.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

You are going to have a big problem if you want to convert ignition to Petronix in a '57 or later distributor.
Petronix DOES sell a six volt Petronix ignitor for the original '55 distributor, BUT they do not sell a 6-volt version for '57 and later distributors. Why would they? '55 was the last year for 6-volts.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
rick55

The Pertronix and Accell systems recommend using a resistor if you are not using their specific coils. The later Accell and Mallory systems now recommend a resistor whatever coil you use as they want to extend the life of their units.
With the resistor in place, you get around 8 volts on the coil and in a correct charging 6 volt car you have around 7.2-7.5 volts. Some people nowadays even run their cars with an 8 volt battery and just tweak the voltage regulator to match.
From all of this I can't see why you can't run a 12volt pertronix in a 6 volt car. The distributor even with the pertronix fitted is merely a switch for the coil. I would make sure I had a 6 volt coil or at least a 12 volt coil which requires a resistor and all should be fine.
Regards

Quote:
Henry Ford
Old 05-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #14
abbie

THANKS to all. Rick, I went to NAPA, bought a 60 F 100 distributor; $75.00; put it in last night and could not believe the difference. No hesitation. this has been on going for a year and a half. I would get disgusted and walk off for awhile. The 54 distributor was the problem. the new one came loaded, points, etc.
Now for the duals and some noise.
Thanks to all again
Abbie
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
46yblock

$75 for a big improvement in engine performance is a good deal!
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
venturesomerite

Glad you got it sorted, must be a relief now KNOWING what the problem was instead of having a good idea.
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote