Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
abbie

Default 1954 Mercury duals

I have a 1954 Mercury, what is the least expensive way to install duals and where can the parts be purchased?? It is a straight drive car. Thanks in advance
abbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 1954 Mercury duals

If it is a Y-block and you currently have single exhaust, you will need to get dual exhaust manifolds. I think the Merc Y-block was a 256 that year. You might be able to get exhaust manifolds from a Ford 235, 272, 292 or 312. Sometimes they are for sale on e-bay. I have a pair sandblasted and painted with Hi-temp here but I wont part with em. Sorry. You can buy a complete exhaust system from Concours Parts that includes everthing from exhaust dump to tailpipe if you are willing to take the mufflers that come with the kit. You will also need to buy the muffler frame bracket for the driver side frame rail since you only have one on the passenger side now. Concours sells them also. In my opinion those kits are not the greatest. If I were to redo mine again, I would let a local muffler shop make up the pipes and let you choose the mufflers you wanted
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Ole Don

I bought a complete exhaust system from Waldron Exhaust. They advertise in Old Cars Weekly. The parts are much heavier than I expected, very good quality. I highly recomend them. I have an extra set of exhaust manifolds I would part with, PM me if interested.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
raceron1120

You might check around your area for a shop that does custom exhaust work. I had mine done locally (michigan) - manifolds to tailpipe for about $200, included all parts, brackets, hangers, (EXCEPT mufflers) and labor.

That way you can buy good, better or best mufflers depending on your budget and the shop will fit them to the car. I did Porter steelpacks on my '56 Fairlane 292, they weren't 'cheap' at $60 each but sound great.

But yes as said earlier, you'll need a set of dual exhaust manifolds too.

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
darrell

if you want to do it on the cheap you can cap the front of the manifold on the pass,side.then get a duel manifold for the drivers side.then you only have to deal with one side.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
paul2748

One of the problems of putting dual exhausts on a 54 Ford using stock manifolds is the Z Bar for the clutch. The pipe out of the manifold is in direct line with the bar. The Merc may have the same problem. The 54 Ford guys solve this by using a 55 or 56 Z Bar which has a curve it it so the pipe clears. There are a lot of silmilarities of parts between the 54 Ford and Merc, and the bar may be one of them.

The other option is using both stock manifolds. Shut off the right side with a plate. On the left side, make up a pipe that attaches to the stock manifold and loops around to the back.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #7
JeffB2

Paul hit the nail on the head 1954 is all by itself,the clutch linkage will not clear later Y-block manifolds.One of our 1952-56 Ford group members on the HAMB used the Red's Headers on His '54 the fit was great and He loves them.Contact them at 1-(760)343-2590 for info, they have been around almost 60 years.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
frank long island

i used the reds headers on my 55 merc wagon and had to turn the left side down to clear the z bar 292 motor w/ duals
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote