Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
roadster36
BANNED

Default 33-39 stainless convertible window frames

Is anyone out there making stainless side window frames for these cars ? Does anyone sell the bent stock to make the frames ? It would seem that there is a need for it.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #2
Dak Rat

Default Re: 33-39 stainless convertible window frames

They show up on ebay fairly regularly, don't seem to go for a ton of money. I looked all over for some stainless U channel to build my own and never could find what I needed.
Dak Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
37 Coupe

I thought that Bob Drake was making these or promised to make them,this was mayby 5 or 6 years ago. I know that when I was looking for a pair for my 39 convertible I had at the time they were expensive and about as beat up as the ones I had and right after I got rid of the project Drake was showing them I thought for 35-39 cabriolet.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
johnny

I might be able to help you ,I had to make them for a 39 Mercury .there is a company in town that can bend the channel . 519 858 2619.,[email protected] Johnny.
johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #5
Aquaroscoe

I think All part ford in Campbell Ca has one side, not cheap.
Aquaroscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:22 AM   #6
Terry,OH

the 33-34 is shorter in width than the 35-38 and the 39 is slightly different in the length of the two legs. Bob Drake does sell the roller kits that are on the legs, but not the frames. The original frames are plated steel and as such can only be buffed somewhat, deep scratches can not be buffed out without working through the plating.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
barryfromvictoria

terry-- those frames are not plated they are stainless clad with very thin stainless over a steel frame you can buff it but any deepscratches as you said will buff through.trying to tig weld it, it usually just blows it away cause it so thin. i have seen guys peel off the stainless and have the steel frame chrome plated.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
blucar

I have a very nice 36-39 Ford conv cpe window frame. All of the brass guide rollers are in place and in good shape. The stainless frame is in excellent shape, minor scratches which will buff out.
I purchased the window frame because I was told the Fords and Plymouth conv's used the same window because they both have Briggs bodies....Wrong.
I found a guy right here in Ventura that could make the window frames, guide rollers and window channels.
The man made me a pair of window frames for my '39 Plym conv. out of stainless steel...Almost impossible to tell from the original. They cost me $1,500. each.
I will sell the '36-39 Ford frame I have for $700. plus S/H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37-38 Frd cnv .1.jpg (49.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 37-38 Frd cnv .3.jpg (44.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by blucar; 07-11-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: addition info
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
cabriolet

I am new to the Ford Barn.....hopefully I will not be booed of the site for bringing up a non-Ford....... I discovered that a 1933/34 Ford cabriolet door window frame is made out of the same material as a 1933 Terraplane, even the fancy little clip for the mitered corner. Important to me because I need one for my 1933 Terraplane. Any assistance regarding material and/or fabrication would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Ken
cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
blucar

The majority of the '30 model convertible window frames all look alike, they even share some of the same parts, because Briggs made a lot of the convertibles... See my 9/17/10
comment in the above.
The similarity ends when you try to use a window from another make of vehicle in your current project.
The majority of the convertible window frames made during the '30 were a thin stainless steel cap over a mild steel frame.. My repairman told me that to try and repair the original frames was like trying to 'repair cigarette paper'..
I tried several guys that said they could make me new frames.... Wrong!! In both cases they tried to form the new frames by cutting and welding them to get the shape.. The result was totally unacceptable frames..
The man that made my frames modified one of his metal working machines so he could form the S/S channel, drawing it through a die he had made for the machine. He then made a 'buck' template to form the shape, stretching and/or shrinking as needed..
Not cheep, but worth every dollar I paid....
On a side bar.... There are a few people here on the Ford Barn that will tell you to take your comments and/or questions else where, I pay no attention to them.. Any question deserves an answer.... Well almost any question...
Old 09-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Oldbones

Send a message via AIM to Oldbones

What year are you looking for?

Regards, oldbones
Old 09-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #12
deuce lover

This thread was started 10 years ago.Click on his user ID and send him a pm or email might be quicker.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote