Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #1
john charlton

Default Pressure plate question

I see in my 2017 Snyders catalogue that a reconditioned pressure plate sells for $125 and a new one no exchange is $105 . I would guess the new one is made in China just wondered if anyone has had any experience with this unit . Does it look high quality etc etc .Does it work OK ???When you have a good look at a pressure plate it is really quite complicated imagine the tooling need for manufacture . Years ago I had a Chinese student lodging with me . I had just bought a new angle grinder from our local "Home Base" it came with spare grinding and cutting discs, spare motor brushes all for about $25 equiv . I asked her how could they make it for that price and ship it halfway around the world to me . Her answer " We make millions of them " My previous German grinder lasted a year or so but the Chinese one lasted over 8 years of hard work failed ring gear and pinion !!! .Could be a Chinese pressure plate is just as good but I dont think they make millions of them .

John in same place same lockdown Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 05-12-2020 at 02:34 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:06 PM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Pressure plate question

My observation of NEW these days, regardless where they come from, is that they are staked with center punches so tightly that the bolts will break. I am talking about the eye bolts that the adjusting nuts thread on to, so no adjustment could be done. The working range is wide enough but they often fall somewhere outside of the Depth settings.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

No matter what you buy I assume you're going to have it shipped ($$$$) to you.
Fort Wayne clutch has a good reputation. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
katy

Quote:
Could be a Chinese pressure plate is just as good but I dont think they make millions of them .
I wouldn't doubt that they make "millions" of pressure plates, but they would have to adjust the tooling for each particular application.
Old 05-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
juke joint johnny

I have had one John from one of our Local UK suppliers Most of their stuff comes from Snyders. The adjusting nuts on mine weren't staked down properly.

Unfortunately I did not find out till a couple years after I had installed it, when one of them loosened and fell off the finger went right out of adjustment and stopped the clutch from working.

Then it's a big job to get access to the pressure plate , I took the rear axle and trans off to get in there PIA !!
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
1930artdeco

I got a Chinese one from a supplier, looked at the 5-6 washers under the bolts and sent it back. Not mad or anything and they understood. Ended up with a used original that had been rebuilt at some point and works quite well.

Mike
Old 05-13-2020, 03:06 PM   #7
ursus

Is there any chance that there are firms in the UK that rebuild pressure plates? It has been a few years but I have had several rebuilt by firms that specialize in this activity.
ursus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juke joint johnny View Post
I have had one John from one of our Local UK suppliers Most of their stuff comes from Snyders. The adjusting nuts on mine weren't staked down properly.

Unfortunately I did not find out till a couple years after I had installed it, when one of them loosened and fell off the finger went right out of adjustment and stopped the clutch from working.

Then it's a big job to get access to the pressure plate , I took the rear axle and trans off to get in there PIA !!

It takes some time doesn't it. But I think its the easiest way to do that job.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:19 PM   #9
Del in NE Ohio

I will answer your specific question re the less expensive off-shore made pressure plate, It is offered by Snyder's primarily for those customers (many overseas) for whom shipping a rebuildable core is not feasible from a financial standpoint. I have had one of the repo PP in my 1929 Town Sedan for about 7 years probably in excess of 20K miles, no problem. Both repo and rebuilt PP are shipped with detailed instructions for adjustment and "staking" the adjusting nuts.

Important. Adjustment nuts must be staked on any new/rebuilt pressure plate during installation

Last edited by Del in NE Ohio; 05-15-2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: more info
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #10
Hotrodfil

I have a fair stack of pressure plates you're more than welcome to sort through.
Also - Bob rebuilds them.
Hotrodfil is offline   Reply With Quote