Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #1
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Default Way off topic.. Ryan.. let this run a little..

Because the Barners here are a pretty knowledgeable group..

Many years ago I started to design houses. From 1400 square feet to over 4,000. I use a program called "Canvas." It's loaded onto my second computer which is an XP, which is no longer supported.

It's getting very slow. Afraid I'll lose all the information and design capability. Lost the "restore" capability also. Here's the question:

Anyone know how to "clean up" XP so it will run better? CCleaner doesn't work.

Appreciate any help or ideas that work for you. Maybe it can't be done. Been told that, but there's always a way..

Thanks Gang!

Larry Jenkins
Old 05-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
ModelAMike1930

Default Re: Way off topic.. Ryan.. let this run a little..

I'm assuming you do the normal disk cleaner and defrag. I found that Malwarebytes gets rid of malware that slows most computers down. Freecreed also has a program that extends the update process for xp. Why not install that program on a newer computer and you can take files and send them to a flash drive and transfer them to the new computer.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #3
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelamike1930 View Post
i'm assuming you do the normal disk cleaner and defrag. I found that malwarebytes gets rid of malware that slows most computers down. Freecreed also has a program that extends the update process for xp. Why not install that program on a newer computer and you can take files and send them to a flash drive and transfer them to the new computer.
x10!!
Old 05-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

We had XP and I loved it, worked great, had a lot of free stuff then Microsoft got greedy and forced everyone over to Windows 10. You want Microsoft Office?? It's gonna cost you do you want to pay monthly or a one time gouge? We found a free alternative

I bit the bullet, played their game, but never again when this POS dies I'm going over to Apple.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

I "wonder" if my I.T. Guy would fly back & help you, Larry????
He's a "GENIUS" Dude.
By the way, I went from XP to Windows 8.1 & then the BASTARDS downloaded Windows 10 on me!!! LIFE HAS NEVER BEEN THE SAME AGAIN---Now, I can ONLY do the Weather & E-Mails. +*@&$^$&^+#%---"Maybe" when I DIE, all this crap will DIE with me????
Bill Ignorant

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 05-27-2017 at 10:34 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
supergnat

It appers that Canvas is a web based software product so you need on line connectivity. It is my understanding that the biggest risk with running XP on line is it is very vulernable to being hacked and infected with viruses (that is the support that has gone away). If you have a way to download the Canvas package and run it off line you could get rid of everything else and use that PC for only that function. If that is not possible you may want to consiider using the 2017 version of Canvas on your newer computer. Another option would be to use a PC mintenance software package on your XP called System Mechanic (which I use). It really sped-up my PC's performance. Be sure to verify that it will work on XP. Good luck. Supergnat

Last edited by supergnat; 05-27-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Make corrections
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:41 PM   #7
Terry, NJ

Uhhhh, I did that too! Wish now I hadn't! Maybe it's me, but I don't love Apple!
A. For what these damn things cost, $1000. + B. My daughter used to use Apples when she worked at L.A. Unified and always thought they were more "Stable" (Whatever that means) than the Microsoft, mine isn't "Stable" at all. The screen flits around all over the place. C. Lack of instruction or of positive control. The two are related! First, The Apple dealer ran classes at $25 a pop to teach you about Apples! First you pay over a thousand dollars for the stupid thing, then they charge you to learn all about it! Also, I get into pages/sites whatever and there's no backing out of it. You almost have to reboot the machine. Ask the people who own one! Give me my old Microsoft XP!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
We had XP and I loved it, worked great, had a lot of free stuff then Microsoft got greedy and forced everyone over to Windows 10. You want Microsoft Office?? It's gonna cost you do you want to pay monthly or a one time gouge? We found a free alternative

I bit the bullet, played their game, but never again when this POS dies I'm going over to Apple.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Jeff,

They are all the same. We've had Apple at home since the Apple IIe came out in the 80's because my wife can't figure out how to use Microsoft computers.

Apple keeps changing the processors and the operating system every couple of years. I had a perfectly good computer with a G-5 processor, then they went to an Intel processor and I had to buy a new computer because they stopped supporting software for the G-5. To top it off, I couldn't transfer my data to the new computer. Same thing with the iPhone and iPad--they upgrade the software and apps, and the old processor can't handle the new software.

The hardware and software companies are practicing planned obselecence just like the car makers. That's why the computer people are all billionaires.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
Terry, NJ

Screw em all! Install LINUX! and LINDOWS!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Should have added this..

My Canvas 3.5, 1995 program is running in a compatability mode on XP. I also have a Dell WIN 10. The 1995 Canvas program cannot be transferred (so I'm told) to WIN 10.

Even if I could transfer the drawings using disc, I know of no way to transfer drawing capabilities. This is why I need to make my XP more reliable..

Can some one tell me, in simple terms, how to reconfigure my XP to only use my Canvas 3.5 program? (Remove WIN XP?)
Old 05-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #11
chap52

Got tired of the adventure over MS Office and got the free Apache Open Office Suite. Check it out. You can save your work in many formats. https://www.openoffice.org/download/
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #12
old car guy

Larry this may be the dumbest reply but. Just wondering is it possible to email windows tech support with the situation you have described and ask what they can suggest or do to remedy the issues. After all they made the product they should or possibly might have a solution to your issues.
Many upgrades ago I had a similar issue with a program that had numerous items and they resolved it for me. Hope they can or will do the same for you.
Old 05-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
Brian T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap52 View Post
Got tired of the adventure over MS Office and got the free Apache Open Office Suite. Check it out. You can save your work in many formats. https://www.openoffice.org/download/
Same here works for me.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:42 PM   #14
SoCal_Alden

Hi Larry,

You may want to try loading your older Canvas program onto your newer Windows 10 PC.
Here is a link that may help explain the steps needed:
https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how...on-windows-10/
SoCal_Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #15
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Alden View Post
Hi Larry,

You may want to try loading your older Canvas program onto your newer Windows 10 PC.
Here is a link that may help explain the steps needed:
https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how...on-windows-10/
Thank you. Will it transfer all my drawings? But, more important, will it transfer the drawing software? Which is Canvas 3.5. probably the most popular version of the early Canvas programs.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #16
SoCal_Alden

Larry,

You may need to re-install your Canvas software onto your new computer and follow the previous link for compatibility then copy your files onto a USB flash drive and load them onto the new computer.
SoCal_Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #17
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Alden View Post
Larry,

You may need to re-install your Canvas software onto your new computer and follow the previous link for compatibility then copy your files onto a USB flash drive and load them onto the new computer.
Thank you again!

Starting to understand a little. Can you send me your email address? I have some more "how to" questions.

[email protected]