Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #21
redmodelt

Default Re: The Hamb

My Op There are too many cars out there that may have the modifications that Bob listed but are other wise stock 4 banger to exclude them. I find it interesting to read some of the stuff that is being done. Go read the V8 forum's, esp the late one, some time!
They are all under the same umbrella as this one but seem a little freer about some mods. I to do not want to read about V8 or pinto conversion type stuff here but if some one posted info on installing a Kabota diesel engine in an A, I would be all over it.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #22
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Improvements to Model A's to make them safer and more reliable for touring should remain on this forum. In my opinion, topics that should remain on this forum should include:
> Improvements to brakes including hydraulics;
> Improvements to steering including the substitution of more modern gearboxes;
> Improvements to exterior lighting including turn signals & emergency flashers;
> Substitution of Ford V8 wheels for wider tires;
> Addition of heaters;
> Improvements in engine performance including hi-compression heads, ignition upgrades, downdraft carburetors, better water pumps, better camshafts, insert bearings, static & dynamic balancing mods, pressurized oil system, cooling system improvements, etc.
> Coverage of the Improved Four Cylinder Engine, AKA the Model B which is an orphan in our hobby;
> Suspension improvements such as modern shocks & Panhard bars;
> Transmission upgrades, overdrive installations, lightened flywheels and V8 clutches.
> Body sound deadening and insulation;
> Paint systems and body work tips;
> Non-original tools that enhance restoration and maintenance.

If this forum goes purist, it will loose a lot of members. The HAMB is not comparable to the value and quality of this forum for 4-cylinder Model A Fords!

I think this is the exact mentality of why many knowledgable ones have left, --and why many feel there is a need for a 'restoration' forum. Many of the very 'upgrades' mentioned above really aren't necessary when the original parts are within factory specification. The biggest issue in my opinion is that many do not know what is correct, nor how to repair/restore an item to correct tolerances. None of this should be construed as a 'Purist' forum because that is NOT what a Restorer forum is. Also, I really do not care how many participants will participate as I would rather have quality content over quantity participation any day of the week. Also, it is worth noting that one of the biggest reasons why this forum is as great as it is is because of those 'purists'!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:42 AM   #23
700rpm

Thank you, Brent. That sums it up exactly.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:35 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Improvements to Model A's to make them safer and more reliable for touring should remain on this forum. In my opinion, topics that should remain on this forum should include:
> Improvements to brakes including hydraulics;
> Improvements to steering including the substitution of more modern gearboxes;
> Improvements to exterior lighting including turn signals & emergency flashers;
> Substitution of Ford V8 wheels for wider tires;
> Addition of heaters;
> Improvements in engine performance including hi-compression heads, ignition upgrades, downdraft carburetors, better water pumps, better camshafts, insert bearings, static & dynamic balancing mods, pressurized oil system, cooling system improvements, etc.
> Coverage of the Improved Four Cylinder Engine, AKA the Model B which is an orphan in our hobby;
> Suspension improvements such as modern shocks & Panhard bars;
> Transmission upgrades, overdrive installations, lightened flywheels and V8 clutches.
> Body sound deadening and insulation;
> Paint systems and body work tips;
> Non-original tools that enhance restoration and maintenance.

If this forum goes purist, it will loose a lot of members. The HAMB is not comparable to the value and quality of this forum for 4-cylinder Model A Fords!
Did not Ryan state in the beginning "Originally Posted by Ryan 05-09-2010, 09:59 AM
We will stay focused on restoration over here. Hot rods and customs are for the hamb. and again as late as 02-06-2013, 10:27 PM "This is a site for stock restorations fellas. We are purists. Case closed."

So anything other than Stock Restoration that appears and stays is through the grace of the owner.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Is there really 4 or 5 forums, -or just sites for restoration topics? I was aware this is/was the only forum that was close to Model-A restoration.
No there are others, some of the regions/chapters as well as MARC has forums. They too tend to drift sometimes just as this one does if they are used at all.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:57 AM   #26
updraught

I'm 130 years old. I bought my 1929 Ford new. One week later l put a police head on it.

Should I go to the HAMB?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:27 AM   #27
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
I'm 130 years old. I bought my 1929 Ford new. One week later l put a police head on it.

Should I go to the HAMB?
You can post anything you want here. The administrator decides what stays and what goes. It is really that simple!
Old 11-17-2015, 07:39 AM   #28
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post

Should I go to the HAMB?
Personally, I don't care where you go!!

In all seriousness, where everyone seems to gets all 'twisted' is the intent. For me, the keyword is Restoration. Using the word "Purist" is generally done to antagonize or belittle someone. The term restoration means to return something to a former state. If I were restoring your car, using a Ford-authorized accessory such as the Police Head should be perfectly acceptable. Bolting on wheels with radial tires is NOT something that was originally done.

The thing that makes me shake my head is how hobbyist like to use the word 'Touring' to justify modern modifications. Three thoughts play into this;
1) -For years, ....and I mean decades, folks used the Model-A to go places. The word 'Touring' is what they often did. These cars were quite good at it which is why they have lasted so long yet now folks seem to think they must be modified to now be reliable.

2) -Something to think about is most hobbyists say they own a Model-A because it is a rememberence of an era, and they are trying to preserve that era for the future. A spin-off of that very mindset is the word Restoration. There was a time when a mechanic or machinist took an item that was worn or broken, and they used their skills to 'restore' that item back to a former state so it was "good as new". That era is quickly slipping away where most people no longer have the skills. We all would likely agree that very few reproduction parts for a Model-A are equal to what an original part that is truly restored is. Discussing topics that focus on how to restore rather than replace or substitute for modern is what will preserve the future of not only a Model-A, but the hobby as a whole.

3) -The final thing that has been a major catalyst for fires here is it was stated this forum was for discussing topics of Restoration. The so called 'Purists' really don't care if you own a modified Model-A, ...or whether it is a Street Rod, -or if you a collection of Hemi cars. No one ever condemned anyone for owning such, it's just that this forum was slated to discuss Restoration topics only. Think about it this way, certain folks do not like to read about politics here as it is not why they come to this forum. There are other forums to discuss that. The same mindset is played here, ...certain people come here to learn about Restoring Model-As --not modifying them as there are already other websites that cater to that mindset. Again, no one really condemned a hobbyist for owing a Model-A that was modified, ...it's just they did not want to discuss those topics here. That is the foundation why many of the knowledgable ones have left. Instead of ruffling feathers of peers, the timing may be right to initiate a forum somewhere else that caters to restoration topics, and happily co-exists with this forum and the Ahooga forum.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:52 AM   #29
ronn

I think this is the exact mentality of why many knowledgable ones have left, --and why many feel there is a need for a 'restoration' forum. Many of the very 'upgrades' mentioned above really aren't necessary when the original parts are within factory specification. The biggest issue in my opinion is that many do not know what is correct, nor how to repair/restore an item to correct tolerances. None of this should be construed as a 'Purist' forum because that is NOT what a Restorer forum is. Also, I really do not care how many participants will participate as I would rather have quality content over quantity participation any day of the week. Also, it is worth noting that one of the biggest reasons why this forum is as great as it is is because of those 'purists'! __________________

I 2nd the motion!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #30
mhsprecher

Maybe there are enough people out there to support multiple forums. There is also Ahoogah, but the format of that site annoys me. If there was another forum, it would still be moderated and there would be hot heads and ridiculous comments. People would get banned and get unhappy and leave. For me, life is too short to get wrapped around the axle about these things.

I know I have asked dumb questions, and may ask some more, but I find many of the topics here of great interest. This is a place where people find out that the car as originally designed was a pretty amazing piece of machinery. There is also a set of skills among the people on this forum that is part of what makes this a great country. I would hate to see the quality of this forum suffer because some of the best minds in the Model A world have gone somewhere else.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 AM   #31
Tom Wesenberg

"............. That is the foundation why many of the knowledgable ones have left. Instead of ruffling feathers of peers, the timing may be right to initiate a forum somewhere else that caters to restoration topics, and happily co-exists with this forum and the Ahooga forum. "

Does that mean this RESTORATION site should be turned over to customs and rods, and we have to start another RESTORATION site? which in all likelihood will be again taken over again by the custom and rod guys.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:31 AM   #32
George Miller

I know you will find this hard to believe but I'm a purist when it comes to original cars. My 28 Sport Coupe has the engine it was built with. So does my 56 chev, and my 66 vette that I drove to work and every where else for 22 years. They all have most of there original parts.

But I also like hot rods, as you can tell. But I never done any thing to a good Model A that could not be changed back. So I have no problem with people using there cars as they please.

Like I said before it is not up to us. If it was we would never all agree. I like the different views. We have a lot of Guys that have been there before that can help most people with car problems.

Last edited by George Miller; 11-17-2015 at 08:48 AM.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:40 AM   #33
Charlville

Is this site actually being taken over by HAMB type fellas?

When I bought my A it had a number of mods that would be too expensive or onerous to change. Now I'm a relatively intelligent human being but not a rocket scientist by any means, so I generally ask the stock Model A questions here and the ones in regard to the modified areas over on the HAMB.

My point being is that when I first got my A some kind folks on the Barn pointed out the mods for me and that was very helpful and I would have taken a long time to find out by myself

There are many levels of restoration discussions on here, points cars, drivers, survivors etc that could all be considered stock, but one man's points car is another man's over restoration…

I don't feel the Barn is being taken over by hot rodders, street rodders or any other rodders, as once educated (politely) they will usually find their way to the HAMB or other forums.

We are all different as are our cars, simple answer is if you don't like a thread or subject ignore it, surely there are plenty of A'ers of each type to get the answers and/or stimulation that we all need?

Rant over!

BTW I love this place and thanks to Ryan for providing it
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/

Last edited by Charlville; 11-17-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 AM   #34
Vicky

The rating for this thread (HAMB), along with Dual 94's, and Sway Bar it makes the acceptance of these type of discussions to this site clear to me.

There is a "Thread" each month on the HAMB, with the month and "Banger Meet" in the title, whereas you can subscribe to the thread to be notified when comments are made to the thread, so you don't have to search for the thread. Many modifications to Model A & B Engines and Vehicles are discussed in that thread. Not to take a nothing away from members on this site, but many of the folks on the Banger Meet Thread have a lot of experience in the modifications and performance for these vehicles.

I belong to both sites (29Speedster on HAMB), and try to keep my discussions appropriate for each site.

I don't think we are really that different, we enjoy our Model A's, but use them differently.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 10:35 AM   #35
Tinker

Couple of thoughts:

Just ignore posts that involve hamb type questions. If there is no reply, they will go to a site that will reply.

The HAMB does have a lot of guys that really know their stuff about old fords/vehicles. Some bounce from there to here too. I migrated from the HAMB to here.

There is a lot of people here that have hopped "toured" there model A engines and transmissions. That's okay to me too. But I do know that if I ask a question related to "how it was made or serviced originally" I will get an answer, usually many more. To me that's what it's about.

I appreciate, what will hopefully not be lost, information from guys that know their stuff about original ford construction.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-17-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: there to thier... sp
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:30 PM   #36
ctlikon0712

Quote:
I think this is the exact mentality of why many knowledgable ones have left, --and why many feel there is a need for a 'restoration' forum. Many of the very 'upgrades' mentioned above really aren't necessary when the original parts are within factory specification. The biggest issue in my opinion is that many do not know what is correct, nor how to repair/restore an item to correct tolerances. None of this should be construed as a 'Purist' forum because that is NOT what a Restorer forum is. Also, I really do not care how many participants will participate as I would rather have quality content over quantity participation any day of the week. Also, it is worth noting that one of the biggest reasons why this forum is as great as it is is because of those 'purists'!
Well said Brent!
Also, I think the term purist is a term that is sometimes used as an attempt to cast a shadow on restorers and what they do. And that is fine. I sometimes think of hotrodders and modifiers a Hacks... or Butchers.... I've seen some nicely done but most are severely lacking.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:05 PM   #37
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Tom,
That is exactly the problem with porous borders and uncontrolled flow of migrants and refugees between message forums. Soon 'they' will overtake us and change our way of life and make us submit to hot rod law.
Yep, we need DT to put a stop to it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:24 PM   #38
jim1932

[QUOTE=1930 coupe;1191169]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlville View Post
Is this site actually being taken over by HAMB type fellas?

Go back and look at old posts and you will find that 50% to 75% of the questions are - how can I modify something to make it better, or faster or safer, or something like that, or someone having problems with a modification. Also look at how many times when someone has a problem, the answer is - you need to upgrade to modern, or modify it, rather than tell them how to correctly restore it to make it work properly.
I don't care for the times people chime in to criticize the original way over the modification or repop. The way I drive, I can do just fine with well adjusted original brakes. If my condenser blows, I have a spare. I don't need to be called un safe etc for not having juice brakes and electronic ignition.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:47 PM   #39
just plain bill

The 4 banger forum is a thread found in the traditional hot rod forum on the HAMB. It is restarted each month but it always has the month mentioned in the title. You will find questions and comments starting with stock components to 5 main cranks with girdles, some run mechanical brakes, some have basically stock engines while others are designing and building the ultimate street engine or Bonneville/engine car. It is primarily about modifying the engine and drive train.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...corner.996845/

Last edited by just plain bill; 11-17-2015 at 02:52 PM.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #40
Manager

Yeah the banger thread is a bit over the top for me is why I like the Barn. I just like my wheels and sitting a bit lower but not into trying to stop or go or do quick shifts like a grocery getter. I have come to like double clutching and mechanical brakes. The barn I'm sure isn't being stalked by billet ladden overbearing hot rod owners wanting to take it over, those wouldn't even give it a glance.I'm sure there is a little bit of hot rodder as is there is a bit of restorer in everyone.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote