Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
jerdan

Default Gas tank sending unit

I purchased a gas tank and sending unit from Bob Drake for my 1953 ford. It does not register correctly. Any suggestions? It is the original gas gauge.
jerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
chap52

Default Re: Gas tank sending unit

The float level should be adjustable by lengthening or shortening the float arm. Also may have a length adjustment on the main arm itself. Do a google search on the specific unit and you should come up with the how-to.
I had the same issue and had to remove bed boards to access the unit. After removing the sending unit I measured level of fuel in the tank with a stick and gustimated contents level. Mine happen to be half full. Kept removing and adjusting the sender until it read 1/2 tank on my gauge. Kinda shade tree, but it worked. Needless to say avoid sparks by turning the ignition off after each adjustment.
Hope that your sender is easier to get to than mine.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

It will most likely never read "correctly", the replacement senders are resistance units. The original sender and gauge use current pulse system (vibrating points and a heater coil). There are some who claim they can get them to work, but don't think they really read "correctly".
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
fordor41

I installed a 75-10 ohm sender(Ford pre '87) in my '41 Ford from Yogi's street rod parts with my stock fuel gauge and it reads right on the money. Just adjusted it via the instructions
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:12 AM   #5
Drbrown

Jseery is correct .... different animals. Drake's kit has the adjustable (fit-cut-and-bend) arm. I used the float "bubble" from my Bob Drake replacement kit. It snapped right in-place of my existing saturated cork float. That was all that was mal-functioning so I re-used the OE sender unit and it works fine.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordor41 View Post
I installed a 75-10 ohm sender(Ford pre '87) in my '41 Ford from Yogi's street rod parts with my stock fuel gauge and it reads right on the money. Just adjusted it via the instructions
Interesting, don't believe that is the common outcome. Glade it worked for you!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #7
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Interesting, don't believe that is the common outcome. Glade it worked for you!
When I fill it up into the tank neck it reads a slight bit over full and when it hits
empty it'll take about 16 gals (17 gal. tank). I've seen where some add resistors to correct the reading but luckily mine was OK.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
19ED30

I have spent 13 hrs trying to get one to Read Correct in a 1932 Ford car correctly ,
I have used both a Stewert Warner & VDO sender's with four different gauges ,Stewart Warner & Autometer . The sender are completely adjustable , long float arm , short arm ,
Sender @ different death's , I have even purchased Classic Instement Recalibration For fuel a Gauge and sender that does not work correct , call them and found out it does not do how they advertise its use ,,, I like to find a Restord or Nos Ford Gauge , they work correctly
19ED30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:04 PM   #9
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ED30 View Post
I have spent 13 hrs trying to get one to Read Correct in a 1932 Ford car correctly ,
I have used both a Stewert Warner & VDO sender's with four different gauges ,Stewart Warner & Autometer . The sender are completely adjustable , long float arm , short arm ,
Sender @ different death's , I have even purchased Classic Instement Recalibration For fuel a Gauge and sender that does not work correct , call them and found out it does not do how they advertise its use ,,, I like to find a Restord or Nos Ford Gauge , they work correctly
Like I said I used a sender from Yogi's with good luck with my stock gauge and powered via a Ron Francis VR-1 voltage reducer as I'm running 12V. SN-39 sender(10-74 ohm). Catch is if you're using a stock tank it's probably got a 6 hole sender and aftermarket senders are 5 hole. Yogi's also carries an adapter (5-6 hole) #226-902, 35-56 ford. Don't know how this all would fit your 32.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:12 AM   #10
19ED30

Someone drill a hole in middle of the original tank ,
I am wanting the gauge to read 3.5 gallons between each quarter mark.
19ED30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
19Fordy

fordor 41: Your success with your SN-39 sending unit amazes me. I am also using the VR-1 unit. Did you follow the directions below when you installed your SN-39 sending unit? Does gasolene dissolve the float? When using a plastic gas tank what differences would you have made? Thanks.
http://www.mooneyes.com/instructions.PDF

Last edited by 19Fordy; 04-18-2016 at 10:28 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #12
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
fordor 41: Your success with your SN-39 sending unit amazes me. I am also using the VR-1 unit. Did you follow the directions below when you installed your SN-39 sending unit? Does gasolene dissolve the float? When using a plastic gas tank what differences would you have made? Thanks.
http://www.mooneyes.com/instructions.PDF
It's been in since 1995 or so. I don't remember what style float but no problems so far. I just adjusted it to the depth of the "tanks" fuel tank per instructions. I've never actually measured if 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 are exactly equal, I just know when I gets close to empty it's time to start looking for gas! Just read instructions you posted. I don't remember drilling any hole. Sender mounted to hole in top of the tank, for the sender, from the factory

Last edited by fordor41; 04-19-2016 at 11:06 PM.