Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
mngreen

Default Rejuvenate Lebaron Bonney ragtop?

I have a 31 Cabriolet that has an older Lebaron Bonney top and interior seat upholstery (cloth) that is getting quite faded in places and was wondering what some of you "old-timers" use on the top and the seat upholstery to maybe make it look less faded, other than simply replacing them. For their age, they are in good shape; only faded and blotchy in color. In the last 40+ years the top and seat have never been washed with water; only brushed.

Any suggestions?
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Rejuvenate Lebaron Bonney ragtop?

Have you tried contacting Lebaron Bonney??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Richard Wilson

Forty years, I would think that you got your moneys worth. Most L-B cabriolet tops that I am familiar with have faded to white in about 10 years. You might take it to a professional upholstery shop and see about getting it dyed.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
mngreen

Contacted L-B, not much help there. They would only recommend their wolfsteins product, which is only good for waterproofing.

The top is in great shape other than the fading/blotching in color. I think I will try either 303 fabric convertible top kit or raggtopp, unless I hear from any of you with some "tried and true" solutions.
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Keith True

I think you will have to have somebody in the know actually put their hands on it and tell you what to do.They could probably take a look and tell you what kind of material it is.A lot of the fabrics used then aren't even available now.L.B.is helpful,but a lot of the people there weren't even born at the time your top was made.A lot of them were only five or ten at the time.I had a set of side curtains for a 28-29 Roadster pickup I bought from Lee Atherton himself.They were kind of an experiment,with a way to open part of the window without disturbing the outside fasteners.He said the experiment didn't work out,but I could have them cheap if I thought I could get by with them.When I tried to match up a zipper on them 35 years later they took one look and said they were not made there.They said that material was never used there,and they never sold experimental designs.The people that tried to help me were younger than the side curtains.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
mass A man

I can only tell you my experience, I once tried a dye on that type fabric and it darkened the light blotches at the same time darkened the darker areas too! Still came out like a spotted pony. I can only say, on the interior, use a good brand (?) upholstery cleaner. perhaps the spray-on type like "Resolve" and gently brush it to remove the dirt. Any spotty fading will still be apparent. ---Sorry, I'm not much help on this one, Good luck.
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote