Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Failing gas tank sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post
Brent, I sent you a pm. Not trying to harass you, just want to make sure you did receive it.
I don't guess i received it. Send it again.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:18 PM   #22
Dave1931Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I don't guess i received it. Send it again.
Hi Brent
I sent you a PM also. I haven't heard back. Sounds like you are not receiving your PM's.
Dave
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:54 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

I have heard that planes can NOT use corn crap gas because it is known how it can mess things up.

Be a shame to see a plane fall out of the sky and hit an ethanol plant. LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #24
Oldbluoval

The few I know that fly Cubs use regular grade pure gas
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #25
robert shreveport

Does the gas tank sealer by POR 15 doe this too?
robert shreveport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:56 AM   #26
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I have heard that planes can NOT use corn crap gas because it is known how it can mess things up.

Be a shame to see a plane fall out of the sky and hit an ethanol plant. LOL
There are various reasons why airplanes cannot use ethanol adulterated fuel.
The ethanol dissolves the resin in some composite fuel tanks. Fuel systems are not sealed like modern automotive fuel systems so the ethanol absorbs moisture from the air. Once the ethanol is saturated with water corrosion starts. That’s the same reason boaters don’t use it. Experimental (amateur built) Airplanes with aluminum fuel tanks and Rotax engines use it regularly. Certified aircraft are not allowed to use it by Federal Aviation Rules. Many lower horsepower certified airplanes can by regulation use non-adulterated auto fuel. Adulterated fuel is more prone to form carburetor ice on cool days with high humidity.

I hate working on airplanes that use any form of auto fuel, it stinks and you can’t wash off the stink. Avgas does not stink and the sweet smell disappears in a few minutes.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #27
rotorwrench

Aviation matters are regulated by a different part of the DOT than automobiles. The FAA wasn't always part of the DOT but it became part of it in 1967 when the DOT was formed. The Federal Aviation Administration sets the safety standards for the aerospace industry throughout the whole range of operation. Its goal has always been to make the industry more safe. Aviation fuel is just a small part of what they regulate and is exempted from all other laws regarding motor fuels in the US. There are diesel engines certified now but they run on Jet A turbine fuel.

Some STCs (supplemental type certificates) were developed to run older aircraft engines on Mogas but they require testing of it before use. The Mogas also has to meet specification for vapor pressure. This was an effort to drop the octane rating for fuel back to nearer the older 80/87 level for older lower compression engines. After some problems with this practice Lycoming issued a service instruction (latest revision SI-1070AA. Folks can look at this document on line from Lycoming engines and it gives a person an idea of how careful they should be when running Mogas. Even the STC documents give folks an idea about testing for ethanol in the fuel and how to find the good stuff. Ethanol is not recommended unless it is in at least 91 octane Mogas and no more than 1% by volume. Folks have to be careful about vapor pressure too. It's critical at altitude and vapor lock up there would be no fun. Winter Mogas fuel blend is the one to worry about most. They set the volatility way up for winter fuel and it's not controlled all that well. After all this, the STC documents still recommend running a tank full of 100LL every 75-hours just to lube the valves a bit or Avgas can be blended with Mogas. It' seems to be getting harder for folks to get fuel to meet the STC specs these days but it's still out there if you know where to look.

https://www.autofuelstc.com/

Last edited by rotorwrench; 10-26-2019 at 10:01 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #28
History

Brent, I did send another private message as this is something I may be interested in doing. Looks like it is a service that is needed and I love these old cars.

I would not fly knowingly in anything that has had corn gas in the tank. I was seriously looking at experimentals that I could base on my property, "Just Aircraft, Super STOL", check it out on YouTube. You can almost land one in your driveway. This is at the factory along the North Carolina, South Carolina border. https://youtu.be/TZwuQBJyWe0

Last edited by History; 10-26-2019 at 10:09 AM.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 10:49 PM   #29
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I agree with you on scrubbing it off with soap & water, ...but rub your hands together with some thinner, acetone, or gasoline on them and watch what happens.

So are you suggesting that you've experienced or seen problems with the Hirsch brand sealer?

Anyone else ever had problems with the Hirsch brand?

Last edited by Randy in ca; 10-26-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Different gas in aircraft, no alcohol in it that I know of. I wish I had a dollar for every gal of 115/145 Avaition gas I have pumped.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #31
Nelson C

We've had the sealant fail in two Model A gas tanks since ethanol was added to gasolene. Both tanks were cleaned and processed by Moyer's Tank Farm near Pittsburgh, PA. Due to the baffles and design of the Model A tank, Moyer makes sure that all interior surfaces are clean. Then, they apply the RENU process coating which is baked.

Both gas tanks are working perfectly. Moyer's has a web site and does lots of gas tanks. Again, this is my experience. I'm not in any way trying to detract from other products or services.

My guess is that many of the poorly running Model A's are due to rust, corrosion, etc. that get into the carburetor. Very fine pieces of rust can pass through those screens and filters and at times cause havoc.
Nelson C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #32
ronn

Back to the pencil filters........ I use them in every A I have and with great success.

wouldnt run an A without one.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #33
30 Closed Cab PU

I'm Paranoid, run a pencil filter, and the in glass sediment bowl screen with a micro filter. Even with the pencil filter the micro filter gets extremely fine particles in it, not sure if the particles would cause any problem in the carb.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #34
History

Brent, checking to see if you received my private message about doing tank repair. I'm interested but it seems the message system isnt working between you and I. Or you've changed your mind? Let me know please.

Last edited by History; 11-07-2019 at 11:50 AM.
History is offline   Reply With Quote