Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
mngreen

Default Brake groaning noise

I recently completely restored the original brake system on my 1931 Cabriolet. Everything redone; new cast iron drums (Mel Gross), new shoes with bonded linings arc'd to drums, new rollers (+ all misc moving brake parts, adjusters, etc.), new front floaters, all slop taken out of all linkages, re-bushed bronze main brake cross member. Also restored the entire front end together with a rebuilt steering box. ($$$s) Front wishbone ball & kingpins are good.

Everything is great (both brakes and steering) EXCEPT that when coming to a short stop with the brakes at the end of either a tight right or left turn (like when maneuvering in a parking lot), the brakes make a loud groaning noise until motion stops. No such noise at any other time.

Any ideas? I was told that it may be from the front floaters...
mngreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: Brake groaning noise

Personally,
I'm not a fan of the floaters... I think if everything else is all correctly done and proper that there's not really an advantage. I think many times the floaters are added and touted but then they've probably done other work while at it and so the brakes do work much better. I've taken more floaters off to correct issues than put them on to do the same.

A couple of other things.

- Make sure your shoes are relieved at the leading/trailing edge from the end of the shoe to rivet. Chamfer them with a shoe or belt/disc sander.

-Make sure if using the stock roller tracks that the pins are riding on the tracks, and the tracks are restored/surfaced/flat and true.
-shoes centered with centering gauge - KRW or current available
-make sure there's no extra lining sticking out on the front side of the shoes to rub/catch on the drum
- and lastly make sure the drums are true .

That's a good start. A well restored, properly adjusted, broke in, stock brake system will stop great if all is done well. Be patient, attention to detail on each wheel, and I'm confident you will find and correct the issue. For benefit to all, in my opinion the best training for brake restoration is Lloyd Kerr's "How to Stop on a Dime". get a copy... and you will learn the detail.

Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 06-09-2014 at 06:28 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
SeaSlugs

are you sure you got the wheel bearings nut properly tightened? that can cause the drum/wheel to be at weird angles when braking on a hard turn.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
Duffy1

mngreen;

After being completely rebuilt , my brakes do the same as yours . Please let us know how you fixed this problem .
Duffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

not saying its the problem but i would not use bonded linings they are prone to heat cracking as they don't dissipate the heat like riveted
make sure the backing plate bolts are tight and there is no play in the front brake shaft bushings.

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 06-09-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Patrick L.

Usually its caused by old [weak] return and/or retainer springs.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote