Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Jim M

Default Gas dripping from carb.

I always (OK almost!) turn the gas valve off and let car idle for 10 seconds before turning off switch. Today my lawn guy saw the car for the first time and we immediately got into a long discussion which included starting the car so he could hear it run. And yes you guessed it - I reached in and turned off the key and we continued talking. A couple of hours later I was walking back toward car port and somehow saw just one drop fall down to driveway. I immediately knew what I had done. After turning off the switch and grabbing some shop towels before wife sees ththe puddle I looked in at the carb. It was quite wet but what I had never seen before was quite a bit of yellow goo on the side. Of course that calls for a finger swipe to investigate. I haven't taken the bowl off yet but wondering if the yellow goo might be the gasket. Now realize one of the things in an "emergency spare parts kit" should probably be a gasket. Gonna start that kit tomorrow and order a couple of spares. Is there anything else I should do to the carb before putting in the new gasket, and is this a usual thing or is it and indication of something more serious. Always learning new stuff every day with this companion (AND this forum). Thanks, Jim
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
SeaSlugs

Default Re: Gas dripping from carb.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Hmm float valve isnt 100% sealing - probably 99% sealing.

The goo? who knows...Could be old gas leaks built up over time with yellow dust forming a goo.

How big of a puddle are we talking?

I accidently left my temp gas can hooked up and didnt shut it off. My carb leaked a half dollar sized puddle underneath it in about 24 hours. Im just gonna leave it alone. Doesnt leak a drop or even get wet if I shut the gas off...
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: Gas dripping from carb.

Why do so many Barners have a fear of their wives ? Truly amazing, Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote