Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Brassworks radiator cap solution

I searched through the posts and I don't see any solution to the '30 -'31 radiator cap problem. Did I miss something or is there no solution?

I ask because my son needs a radiator for his Vicky. We have to decide on a close to original radiator that the cap won't fit or a non original looking radiator that the cap will fit. The difference is several hundred dollars between the two radiators.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Brassworks radiator cap solution

Mike,
I ask because my son needs a radiator for his Vicky. We have to decide on a close to original radiator (Brassworks???) that the cap won't fit or a non original looking radiator that the cap will fit. The difference is several hundred dollars between the two radiators.

First of all...just why does the cap not fit on a close to original radiator? Is that the Brassworks radiator?

Of coarce you know the procedure...send it back to Brassworks and hopefully they will correct the problem if that is the case.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Fred
BANNED

Get one from Berg`s Radiator in Ill. He recores all his with ORIGINAL tanks, top & bottom & with original side straps.. They FIT, look original & you wont have any cap problems..# 618-231-3507 E-mail-- [email protected]
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
dan

From an email I got from Brassworks this week when I asked about problems getting original accessories to fit the neck (which I assumed was a problem with neck diameter):

Not the diameter, the shape of the ramp on the lip can be problematic. People have had to file or dremmel the ramp on the inside of the neck to guide the quail on.We have to make our own dies as there is not a manufacturer of these willing to correct the problem for the volume Model A guys buy. It is coming up on our list of dies to make.

So the answer is that they're not going to fix the problem until they get around to making a new die, and their current solution is to have you modify the neck yourself.

I don't believe that this is an issue with "normal" caps, just with motometers and quail. So, if you absolutely must have a dimpled, stock-looking radiator and you're not willing to modify theirs, you could just choose to use a "normal" cap.
dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
From an email I got from Brassworks this week when I asked about problems getting original accessories to fit the neck (which I assumed was a problem with neck diameter):

Not the diameter, the shape of the ramp on the lip can be problematic. People have had to file or dremmel the ramp on the inside of the neck to guide the quail on.We have to make our own dies as there is not a manufacturer of these willing to correct the problem for the volume Model A guys buy. It is coming up on our list of dies to make.

So the answer is that they're not going to fix the problem until they get around to making a new die, and their current solution is to have you modify the neck yourself.

I don't believe that this is an issue with "normal" caps, just with motometers and quail. So, if you absolutely must have a dimpled, stock-looking radiator and you're not willing to modify theirs, you could just choose to use a "normal" cap.
Ron in quincy stated that his original cap would not fit either.
Bergs only makes 3 row flat tube. I think I'll go with Bergs core.

Thanks for the opinions guys!!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #6
A-Jay

Mike, I installed a Brassworks HD 10 fin per inch, in my 30 coupe a couple of months ago. Its running nice a cool in 90's + temps, a nice well made unit that should last for many years. Had a problem with the moto meter, it would not fit in the new Rad. neck. I contacted Brassworks they were no help at all, acted like they had never heard such a thing DUH! . You have to take a Dremel tool to the outer edge where the hex bolts clamp down the lower part of the moto meter to the inner part of the neck. I have been very happy with the Radiator since.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
Ron in Quincy

I have not had a problem with heating on my 30 Coupe, only have a problem with my Quail and original Cap not fitting the Brassworks radiator. I'm running with a replacement cap which fits OK. My radiator is a heavy duty, 10 fins to the inch.
The problem is not the neck size its the locking guide which is too thick; havn't got around to modify the problem as yet, one of my to do things.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
1931 Station Wagon

Seven years since this thread started and I just got off the phone with Brassworks. This morning we installed a new Brassworks 10 fins/inch radiator in the '31 SW. Neither the new Taiwan cap, nor the old domed cap fit the new rad. Both fit the old rad. Stay tuned!

Henry F.
1931 Station Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
willobs

Wow you been working on the 31 Stationwagon radiator 7 yrs
willobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 Station Wagon View Post
Seven years since this thread started and I just got off the phone with Brassworks. This morning we installed a new Brassworks 10 fins/inch radiator in the '31 SW. Neither the new Taiwan cap, nor the old domed cap fit the new rad. Both fit the old rad. Stay tuned!

Henry F.
I have installed "more than several" since this thread started without an issue. I will stay tuned to see some pictures to see what the fit issue is. Without a visual to go by, anything is just a guess at this point. FWIW, Lee never has a problem building a radiator to someone's own radiator shell. If someone is ever worried about their shell fitting, freight it to Lee and know the cap will fit correctly when you receive your new radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willobs View Post
Wow you been working on the 31 Stationwagon radiator 7 yrs
Not sure how you deduced that! The thread started 7 years ago by Mike. This morning another radiator was installed by Henry.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #11
The Brassworks

We have not changed the necks.

I was told last week that there is a new aftermarket cap that is on the market due to a shortage with the other aftermarket provider. I have not seen it. I will have to track down this new cap to find the difference between it, Ford and the more common aftermarket cap.

1. If there is a concern with a fitment (of any part) we restore radiators with OEM parts every day. Even Model As
2. You can also mail a cap to us and we can test the fit with your cap. We just have to have the cap you intend to use.
3. You can buy a cap that we use for testing

As always its best to call us directly so we know what people are seeing
The Brassworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Synchro909

This morning when I logged on, there was a message there from Brassworks. I haven't posted yet on this thread so they must have picked up on a post I did make in another where I mentioned that when towing in hot weather, I still had trouble after fitting one of their radiators. In the PM, they spoke of their cores that might help and said that they can make an auxiliary cooling core for me if needs be.
Whatever you think of their cores, I was impressed by their research and follow up.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 PM   #13
Brian in Wheeling

What Fred said in#3 above. Forget Brassworks, get a Bergs. No, I don't work for them...just a happy customer.
Brian W.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote